Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Bleeding brakes on Audi 100 Type 44 problem

Old 05-03-15, 01:35 AM   #1
nokia7799
Grown up member

Default Bleeding brakes on Audi 100 Type 44 problem

HI,
I had to replace a couple of sections of steel brake pipes and a couple of flexible brake hoses for the NCT here in Ireland. Afterwards I couldnt bleed the brakes. I tried it the old fashioned way and then bought the air pressure type bleeder to pull the fluid through the lines to no avail. I have two spare master cylinders which i swapped also (checking the pedal on the cars i took them out of beforehand) but to no avail. Its a strange one. Both of these spare master cylinders appeared to be fine in the cars they were in before i took them out. I cant get brake fluid back to the rear calipers, only the front left wheel. has anyone come across this before? I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks

Barry
nokia7799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-15, 02:04 AM   #2
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Bleeding brakes on Audi 100 Type 44 problem

There is a device called a brake force regulator, which is an alloy valve body, with a lever arm attached to the rear axle by a spring.
It frequently is a problem, due corrosion in both the arm and the valve.

The device works by reducing pressure to the rear circuit as the car 'dives', the rear end unloads a bit, causing the spring to pull on the arm, closing a plunger.

If memory serves, it's mounted on the left side. Just trace the brake line to the rear.
It was certainly a problem on one of my. V8s.

Pic. Courtesy of VagCat.

Item 14 is my bet as the culprit.

Last edited by Hanuman; 05-03-15 at 02:14 AM.
Hanuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-15, 02:14 AM   #3
nokia7799
Grown up member

Default AUDI 100 brake bleeding nightmare

thanks very much. I know the regulator you're describing.... i replaced the two pipes going into this from the rear wheels.

On another note I tried to bleed the master cylinder itself, considering I have put two secondhand ones in along with the one that was in it.... all of these strangely wouldn't push out fluid when pressing the pedal only on the front left circuit so i put the air operated unit on them to try and encourage it to bleed. It is unlikely that three master cylinders are dodgy? particularly when the brakes were fine before i replaced the pipes! But if the master cylinder isnt pushing out fluid on all of the four outlets when pressing the pedal does this not mean it is fecked?

Thanks again for all your help
Old 05-03-15, 02:22 AM   #4
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

ABS? There are some notes on this, which I've not run into problems with as yet, although I haven't replaced a master cylinder.
I'll dig them up later today, when if get a chance. They're notes from a V8 manual, but I expect a lot of commonality.
Old 05-03-15, 07:21 PM   #5
nokia7799
Grown up member

Hi. I disconnected the pipes going into the brake regulator from the master cylinder side and attached the vacuum type bleeder. I got brake fluid out there but when i run it through the regulator it wont suck it through it. I then changed the regulator with a second hand one i had in another car i have for parts. No Good. still cant get brake fluid through the brake regulator to the rear calipers. Its an 83 Audi 100 with calipers in the back and no ABS. What am I doing wrong? Is there a particular way to bleed these circuits? Could i bypass this regulator?
Old 05-03-15, 08:03 PM   #6
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Possibly, there is some commonality.

The V8 manual says that where the master cylinder has been replaced, the clutch slave cylinder needs to be bled first. I can't visualize why, though (no UK manual versions)
Old 07-03-15, 12:05 PM   #7
TeXerv
Grown up member

A vacuum bleeder possibly won't work with this brake force regulator. I would try it in this way (forget about your bleeder tool): Three persons are required. Jack the car at the rear axle thoroughly and safely- engage the brake force regulator lever by hand to maximum vehicle load - bleed the system in the old fashioned way in the following order: RH rear, LH rear, RH front, LH front. Always mind the fluid level.
After successful bleeding adjust the regulator thoroughly.
TeXerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-15, 03:44 PM   #8
nokia7799
Grown up member

Hi, Thanks for all your advice, I really appreciate it. One thing that I found strange is that to test the master cylinder itself I loosened the pipes on the master cylinder itself, one by one. I could only get fluid to come out of one of the four outlets when depressing the pedal. the front left if memory serves me correct. The fluid level was fine during this. I done this with the three secondhand master cylinders that I used and all of them appear to be doing this. Does this not suggest that the master cylinder is defective or is it a common thing? I thought that if u were not getting fluid at this point you wouldnt be getting it further back near the regulator.
Old 08-03-15, 04:14 PM   #9
TeXerv
Grown up member

If you want to test your master cylinder (after replacing!) you need to proceed like this:
Replace all lines from the cylinder and fit bleeder screws instead.
Now bleed the master cylinder (similar to brake bleeding): Start with the first circuit (close to the brake booster) and bleed at both bleeders of this circuit simultaneously.
Then bleed the second circuit also at both bleeder screws simultaneously.
If this doesn't work check the reservoir for clogged fluid port.
TeXerv is offline   Reply With Quote