Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments » Audi 200 Type 44 Screen Rubber

Old 19-10-20, 05:40 PM   #1
Dave
Grown up member

Default Audi 200 Type 44 Screen Rubber

Evening all,

I'm in the middle of a restoration, car (1988 Audi 200 quattro type 44) is currently at the body shop. I've had a chat with the guy that doing the body work & paint today, he told me he's having problems getting the front and rear window rubber. It was a bad line and i didn't quite understand he mentioned something about having to cut them out....

I'm just wondering what the story is, how would i remove the glass and / or where would i get new windows rubbers?

A neighbour is a car glass fitter, had a qucik word with him, he doesn't have any working knowledge of the car but he looked it up in his book and he said "UK glass number HT592 Eurocode 8525 front glass is bonded / direct glazed with chrome surround rear glass is profiled into the aperature. To reinstall the original glass is to find a suitable self-adhesive under-glass profile that could be used to place round the naked glass"

Any ideas how i can move the project forward?

Thanks in advance

Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-20, 06:46 PM   #2
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Age of car? Type of trim? Is it the stainless steel trim type? If so, plenty of discussion about it. Where’s the car?

IMPORTANT: DO NOT TRY TO TAKE THE TRIM OFF BEFORE CUTTING THE SCREENS FROM THE CAR.

If they have tried to do so without the right kit, you’ll be stuck. The trim is NLA. Has been for a long time.

The trim is not fitted afterwards. The trim is fitted to the glass. The whole assembly is bonded into the aperture. Same front and rear. A careful, competent glass fitter is what you need.
There is a technique which takes time, which most fitters in the UK don’t follow, and from what I can tell haven’t since day one.

The glass can be cut from the aperture.
If the glass is intact, then the trim and glass can be reused.
If the glass is not intact, then carefully remove the glass from the trim.

Glass can be found.

Last edited by Hanuman; 19-10-20 at 06:52 PM.
Hanuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-20, 06:19 PM   #3
Dave
Grown up member

Thanks for your reply.

1988 Audi 200 quattro type 44, yes stainless steel trim. Car is located in St Albans, Hertfordshire. No, nothing has been touched on the windows as yet. Yes both front and back screens are intact and in good condition.

Am I correct in understanding you, if carefully and properly removed i don't need to purchase glass or trim / rubber?

Does anyone know of a good glass fitter near St Albans Hertfordshire?

Thanks

Dave

Last edited by Dave; 20-10-20 at 06:24 PM.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-20, 11:48 PM   #4
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Thanks for your reply.

1988 Audi 200 quattro type 44, yes stainless steel trim. Car is located in St Albans, Hertfordshire. No, nothing has been touched on the windows as yet. Yes both front and back screens are intact and in good condition.

Am I correct in understanding you, if carefully and properly removed i don't need to purchase glass or trim / rubber?

Thanks

Dave
I'd definitely recommend these guys, ScreenTec Windscreens in Harrow.

I needed a front windscreen removed from one of my C4's before it went of to scrap. They wouldn't guarantee over the phone it could be removed without it breaking but.....

Chap in his late fifties turns out had plenty of C4 experience 100/A6 windscreens years ago so similar to yours. Saw the car and waxed lyrical about them, a genuine enthusiast
and said he do his best as i was removing an as new genuine Audi screen i had replaced back in 2007 (done no miles) on the rock hard stuff used back then.
He did a fantastic job in roughly 40 minutes for £50 2 years ago.

Just looked on the net and they have a guy on St. Albans but is he the guy that did mine? Defo worth a go, just mention the guy who took mine out
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-20, 08:56 AM   #5
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Thanks for your reply.

Thanks

Dave
That’s the idea. I believe Terrywindy had the screen on his V8 sorted. The muppet who did the work on my V8 tried to praise the surround off with a screwdriver.
I’ll dig out the extract from the manual...