Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Its in the blood

Old 28-08-17, 07:29 PM   #1
Davids
4 ring whore!

Default Its in the blood

So, I saw this sort of thread years ago on another site I used to use and the response and photos were just fantastic, and the stories that went with it.

It tried to explain to our partners, wives, girlfriend's, or even all of them if you are that lucky to have all in one go why we have such a passion for cars, bikes, busews and coaches, motor vehicles etc and most things petrol powered.

I personal don't think its something you pick up, I do honestly think it is in your blood, passed down form generation to generation, and I do hope it carries on, even possibly in my case may miss a generation, but will be picked up in some form in the future.

Some of the stories were long winded but that made them even better, lots and lots had black and white photos, which I think are so much personal and full of life, also lots were photos scanned in, dog eared and faded, again so much better than the throw away selfie crap that is take these days. When a photo was taken in the old days it was taken with effort and because someone thought about it and really wanted it.

Less of my ramblings, hope you dig out the old ones and let us know, just why
Davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-17, 07:37 PM   #2
Davids
4 ring whore!

So my Granddad ( my dads dad ) and one of his many bikes. This I seem to remember being told was just before another test run after several hours of tinkering. Same as today really, nothing wrong, just buggering about with it for no reason

I can remember my nan saying he had 13 bike in one year, he just sat and grinned at me and winked, he said " you understand don't you" I did, even though I was on my first bike, Purple FS1E. She said " he used to ride them to Portsmouth ( in the RN ) and come home with another"

Granddad with some of his brothers and my Nans brothers, there were lots of them and all were bikers.

This was the standard attire for a blast out, flat cap, shirt and tie, lady killers of the day. My Granddad is the middle one.

Last edited by Davids; 28-08-17 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 28-08-17, 07:47 PM   #3
Davids
4 ring whore!

My Mum and dad and their gang, my dad on his bike KRD 68 and my mum to his right on the photographers bike. The even did their honeymoon to Spain on the bikes, with a few other couples on bike, as you do.

As a foot note to the bike, Ariel Huntmaster 500, it was my dads first new bike in circa 1957, but he sold it a year later or so, 1959/60 just after I was born and when he went in the RN to do national Service, which he did full commission 21 years.

He always used to speak about it and then 19 years ago we see an Ariel for sale in MCN, give it a call and its his old bike. We go and see the chap, Me, my dad and my son who is 5, but the bike is sold, but we get a picture of 3 generations with the old bike. The new owner being a true biker couldn't buy it after hearing the story and my dad bought it back, when it now sits in his bike display room, ready to be passed down.

So these 2 and the uncles are responsible for me, what's your story ?
Old 28-08-17, 08:01 PM   #4
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

My dad waxed lyrical about his biker days, Nortons, and triumphs, and arrow, et al.

The Ace Cafe, and hell raising were mentioned. I made the pilgrimage to the ACE a few years ago, 4wheel drive, not 1. Sadly, he'd passed by then.

In the blood? Having learned to drive with his help, many years prior to being legally entitled to do so (things seemed somewhat different back then), and picking up the bug for tinkering with cars much later, it's not entirely nurture, but it certainly seems to be nature.
Old 28-08-17, 11:35 PM   #5
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Cracking bit off family history and pics there David.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-17, 07:48 AM   #6
Davids
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
Cracking bit off family history and pics there David.
Just nice to see what got people started, also I love a good black and white photo, so much more soul in them.
Old 29-08-17, 08:24 AM   #7
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davids View Post
He always used to speak about it and then 19 years ago we see an Ariel for sale in MCN, give it a call and its his old bike. We go and see the chap, Me, my dad and my son who is 5, but the bike is sold, but we get a picture of 3 generations with the old bike. The new owner being a true biker couldn't buy it after hearing the story and my dad bought it back, when it now sits in his bike display room, ready to be passed down.
That's a great story, can't remember which one got it but my grandad gave either me or my brother the dash clocks from a car for Christmas....I'd be 5 or 6 at the time. He had a bike shop and liked to tinker!

....any more bike pics?
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-17, 08:28 AM   #8
Davids
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post
That's a great story, can't remember which one got it but my grandad gave either me or my brother the dash clocks from a car for Christmas....I'd be 5 or 6 at the time. He had a bike shop and liked to tinker!

....any more bike pics?
Thanks

I will have to go thru the old archives, sadly when my Nan passed away my Grandad threw away all of their old photos. I can remember looking thru them when little, there were in a hat box that was over 24" in dia and 12" deep and it was full of photos.

Come on lads and lasses, lets see what got you all started.
Old 29-08-17, 03:08 PM   #9
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I like the background and photo's you posted David, as far as i know i am the first petrolhead in the family, can't post photo's as you know but i have some amusing one's from the bike days, i was the first bike nut too, only my dad had two wheels at one time, Vespa's and mopeds i got the real bikes and became a

Hope loads of people post up on here, oh, is it in the blood ? looks like it with a couple of my grandsons

sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-17, 03:22 PM   #10
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

You could say my dad got me started although i never really saw much of it happen, i'd be about 8 and i saw him change a Jag 4.2 XJ6 Mk1 head gasket if i recall correctly. He also had a Cortina mk3 estate in my mid teen years before the Fuego, that he fancied breathing on it and a friend down the road had parts from a 1.6 Mk3 Capri. He swapped out his old head for the Capri head and the twin webber downdraft with air cleaner box and it went well after that. Sorry i don't have any pictures.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote