Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Won’t start - B2 2.2 Coupe GT Fuel injection

Old 02-02-19, 09:04 PM   #1
Steely
Newbie!

Default Won’t start - B2 2.2 Coupe GT Fuel injection

This is a new to me 1984 2.2 GT coupe with fuel injection.
It has started and driven nicely a couple of times, but now it won’t start, starter motor is turning and if I use easy start it turns over, kicks in and then promptly dies.
It’s all new to me, and too dark and cold now, so tomorrow, where do I start?
I don’t even know what and where things are, but have a workshop manual to get started.
I was thinking fuel pump, but usually I would expect a car to run on easy start for a bit, whilst it’s being applied, no?

Thanks
Steely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 10:30 PM   #2
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

If easy start runs your engine you have a spark, so it must be fuel, first make sure the pump is pumping fuel, next make sure you have no air induction hose leaks, there is more but try these first.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 10:40 PM   #3
Steely
Newbie!

Thanks Colin, will be on the pump tomorrow, is it under the car? Assume I can remove a pipe to the fuel distribution without too much stress. Had a quick look at the hoses earlier, they all look to be in good condition and connected, one thing I noticed, the hose to the vacuum advance was not connected.
Old 02-02-19, 11:23 PM   #4
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Don't think the vac pipe would stop it from starting, one of the best way to check if you are getting fuel is to remove the fuel pump relay in the fuse box, bridge the two large terminals out in the fuse box the relay was plugged into with a short bit of wire with two male spade ends on it, the pump should start to run instantly, this method dose not need the engine to be turned over to get the pump to run, and you can hear the pump running,
the pump should run with a constant hummmm, the pump location could be on the drivers side in front of the rear wheel, please see photo.

Red is the fuel pump, yellow is the fuel filter, blue is the fuel pressure accumulator, DO NOT REMOVE THE FLOW AND RETURN PIPES FROM THE FUEL TANK, they are prone to taking the union off the bottom of the tank due to rust, if you remove the inlet to the pump from the tank be prepared for all the fuel in the tank to be drained.
Old 03-02-19, 08:42 AM   #5
larry49
Grown up member

You can "jump" the pump so it runs without the engine running from the fuel pump relay in the main fuse box, but look it up first to see exactly how to do it, I made a jumper from an old relay but I cant remember which terminals to short out.

I would loosen the feed to the distributor, cover plenty of rage the jump it...be careful as it is high pressure.

The "airflow flap could be sticking/stiff or not set at the correct height.
larry49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 01:10 PM   #6
Steely
Newbie!

It is the pump, wasn’t running with the relay bypass, a few taps got it going, and now it runs again, next question, where is the best place to get a pump, and what one do I need?
Old 03-02-19, 01:14 PM   #7
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

www.onlinecarparts.co.uk, Some Ebay cheap pumps are just cheap knock off cheap pumps
Old 03-02-19, 01:28 PM   #8
vagdream
Grown up member

Also check the state of the tank internally to make sure you are not pumping through crud, otherwise you may get a repeat of the problem.
vagdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-19, 01:37 PM   #9
Steely
Newbie!

I will change the filter and see how dirty it is, no idea how long the filter and pump have been on the car. Some difference in pump prices, from about £25 to £125.. I’m going mod-range with a make I know I think.
Old 03-02-19, 04:45 PM   #10
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Good choice on pump price I would say, please remember you will empty your fuel tank when you disconnect the input pipe to the pump from the tank, be prepared for the fuel. As for the original fuel pump not working after been standing idle for some time this is quit normal for older Audi's, not an easy fix but well doable if you are good with a spanner and as you have seen the pump is available from many suppliers.