Classic Audi » Technical » Car detailing & polishing » An explanation on why t-cut and Turtle Wax Colour Magic are bad.

Old 29-05-10, 08:25 AM   #11
gazwhittle
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxy View Post
got to disagree with that fella.

All polishes can be used by hand, rotary or random orbital polisher. There's no real reason why you can't apply AG SRP via polisher and there's no reason why you can't use Menzerna PO85 RD3.02 or 3M Fast cut plus by hand.
The polish will still have the same cutting properties however you use it, but it will take a lot longer for the polish to break down by hand, than it would be if you did it by machine.
It is not impossible to work a polish that hard by hand, it just takes a longer time for the polish to break down.
true but would you wanna stand applying polish by hannd on one panl for 30 mins?

always gunna be easier to use a da or rotary.
gazwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-10, 08:48 AM   #12
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

Default An explanation on why t-cut and Turtle Wax Colour Magic are bad.

Too right! Blisters on fingers ain't fun!!
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-10, 08:56 AM   #13
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

So whats a good make and model of electric polisher that will not need a remortgage. Going to try and get Lynn to get me one for my B'day.
Need something to help remove all the very fine scratches and swirls...

Coupe quattro 1986:-~450bhp + loooong list of mods!
Audi A7 Bi-TDI SLine Black edition 2015 mapped to produce 600lb/ft torque!
Audi S4 4.2 V8 cabriolet 2004:-
20vcqdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-11, 03:01 AM   #14
john johnson
Moderator of sausages
Classic Audi Club Member

This needs a bttt
And if you are reading this as James may would say ' you're a cock '
john johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-11, 10:27 AM   #15
Gouldy

i got a battery powered orbital polisher for xmas that i am yet to use, but will try it on the disco for sure,

I agree with Ian on the filling of scratches with the "colour Magic" style products , they were never designed to "dye" paint,

i have used Tcut for many years and had no problems, as have millions of other people, unless my car is concourse, swirls are the least of my worries,

Mer is also a great product too

must admit the "Tcut for Metallics" is utter S**t though, doesnt come off and leaves it smeary as buggery, i normally use tcut, then resin polish, and finish the whole thing off with "ice" , they still come up ok
Gouldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-11, 11:06 AM   #16
john johnson
Moderator of sausages
Classic Audi Club Member

i hope the management didna mind me bttt'ing this as i thought it a good idea
Old 19-01-11, 12:14 PM   #17
ovalking
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

The first time I used T-Cut was on metallic paint, and it made a right mess of it, so have always been cautious since.

However, used for the right application it is ok. I think it is better on very old uncared for paintwork or for removing stubborn marks. It is abrasive and you risk taking off too much paint, so I would not use it for large areas like a whole car.

I did have great success on an old bike I purchased. The paint suffered from loads of scratches and it hadn't been washed for years. T-Cut restored it to better than another bike of the same age/colour which had been washed very frequently.
ovalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-11, 12:37 PM   #18
john johnson
Moderator of sausages
Classic Audi Club Member

one thing worth remembering if you have an orbital polisher of some nature is when you put a blob on your pad, put the pad onto the panel in question before turning it on........i keep forgetting and they do fly off quite a way ...... BTDT
Old 21-03-11, 01:24 PM   #19
MadderThanMax
Grown up member

This is an interesting topic..

Soooo, since we've panned T Cnut into the deck, from the elitist point of view what are the best products then to use (Done in your best "Clarkson / May / Hamster" voices!)

Me? I usually use the two bucket method first (One wash / One Rinse only!) and Auto Glym Body shop shampoo...

Then Chamois dry, and using a detailing spray, start to work round the panels with a clay bar...

Then back to washing & drying off...

Then using Porter Cable & Sonus pads and either Ferecla G3 or G11 pending on how bad, work my way around the car...

Once done I then use Autoglym Resin Polish or Meguiars Gold Class or Zylomol pending on whats nearest to hand.. and go round again!

Then, making sure all traces of polish are removed seal in with Carnuba wax.. & polish off...

Plastics are done in Armour All.

Dunno if its the correct method or not, but the result I get are stunning to say the least - all signs of swirls and scratches are gone and the depth of metallic paint is stunning

Whilst we're on the topic of paint treatment, here's a question for ya Al:

I got a VW Van that's been lyin' around for a year or more, originally in Arctic white. It was all polished up, although now all faded white to the point that when rubbed on by finger it leaves a trace of white on the finger. What's the best sort of treatment for this (other than a respray lols!) ?
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-11, 02:37 PM   #20
gazwhittle
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadderThanMax View Post
This is an interesting topic..

Soooo, since we've panned T Cnut into the deck, from the elitist point of view what are the best products then to use (Done in your best "Clarkson / May / Hamster" voices!)

Me? I usually use the two bucket method first (One wash / One Rinse only!) and Auto Glym Body shop shampoo...

Then Chamois dry, and using a detailing spray, start to work round the panels with a clay bar...

Then back to washing & drying off...

Then using Porter Cable & Sonus pads and either Ferecla G3 or G11 pending on how bad, work my way around the car...

Once done I then use Autoglym Resin Polish or Meguiars Gold Class or Zylomol pending on whats nearest to hand.. and go round again!

Then, making sure all traces of polish are removed seal in with Carnuba wax.. & polish off...

Plastics are done in Armour All.

Dunno if its the correct method or not, but the result I get are stunning to say the least - all signs of swirls and scratches are gone and the depth of metallic paint is stunning

Whilst we're on the topic of paint treatment, here's a question for ya Al:

I got a VW Van that's been lyin' around for a year or more, originally in Arctic white. It was all polished up, although now all faded white to the point that when rubbed on by finger it leaves a trace of white on the finger. What's the best sort of treatment for this (other than a respray lols!) ?

Spot on expect one thing. Chamois !

Chamois is a swirl causer has any small dirt particles have no where to go
also didn't see claying in there . So wash 2 bucket method,clay wash again then dry and carry on with the rest.
gazwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote