Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Caliper ID/compatibility help?

Old 12-06-14, 12:19 PM   #1
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Caliper ID/compatibility help?

Heloo. Does anyone know what these calipers are called?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disc-Brake-C...00d55c&vxp=mtr

I've seen TWR and Lucas/Girling used to describe then, don't know what name is right! They are the only thing holding me back from, MOTing a biturnip2.7 allroad, to be used or sold, but no use to anyone with no MOT.

They seem to be only available from mainly the US, Californa mostly. Could import some, but was wondering if anyone knows if I could fit something like these -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-CALI...item20df8ae7ae

The first ones have one big slider thing the second ones have two. I've seen them both described as HP2! Think the second ones are Hp2?

I bought a seals kit for mine (first listing), was advertised as correct, but it's not, it's a rebuild kit for the second ones there. Piston seals are the same size, and I've rebuilt one caliper, but the dust boots wouldn't have enough travel. If I fit them and wear the pads down to nothing they'll probably pot out!

Need some expertise on A6/S6 caliper carriers/bolt spacing etc? Long shot, maybe better asking on another forum, but I'm not! because I don't know any other passwords.
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-14, 01:34 PM   #2
Martc
Black Coupe Collector
Classic Audi Club Member

There are more than on type of HP2 - have a look at this for a start

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68900

and you don't need a password
Old 12-06-14, 02:40 PM   #3
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

The second link is the early version of HP2 calipers fitted to A8, A6 S4 and uses a 314x30 mm disc

The first one is an updated version and takes either a 321mm or 323mm disc depending on application. These were fitted the S4, A8 and A6 / allroad up until 2002/3

They're not interchangeable unless you also swap the disc. I'd expect your allroad to use the first one
Old 12-06-14, 03:27 PM   #4
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

I bought a set of the hp2 calipers from Graham's. Very quick service, but there are in fact 2 part numbers in their stock, for both left and right. The ones that I have are definitely for 314mm disks, but the mounting boss appears to be large enough so that one casting could be used for a larger diameter disk, subject to the finishing machining.
Old 12-06-14, 10:50 PM   #5
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Oh brilliant stuff, not the wrong forum, I knew that... thanks. Will read that S2 forum thing!

Better not swap for smaller discs then, might not stop the bugger, it weighs a bit! It is the updated ones on the Allroad.

Where is Graham's Mr H?

I've seen some on ebay USA, from Texas, from a breaker, look like new! All that dryness I suppose. Mine have sat in the frosty salty north east of Scotland for about ten years before I got it. When you go to do anything on the car you just pray you're not going to meet anything made of alloy, which one half of these calipers are. Should have seen me getting the bleed nipple out of the one I rebuilt!! Multiple cobalt drill bits and a dentists pick to finish.

The other caliper.. that I have not braved yet, has no bleed nipple! Some numpty has ended up on a very large drill bit and tap and theres a bloody 12mm shank bolt in the phkr! Not much chance of bleeding it without pissing fluid all over the disks pads.

So I think I need new ones.
Old 13-06-14, 05:52 AM   #6
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missfire View Post

Where is Graham's Mr H?
Grahams125. The second ebay link in you original post.
Old 13-06-14, 11:09 AM   #7
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

I see! Yep, just contacted them, and they can't get the new calipers and don't have them, hmmm. Only fitted to limited vehicles maybe? Seem very hard to find. There are some old scabby ones on ebay but will probably shortly give similar problems, so want immaculate ones or refurbed. You can get them 'new' from a brake parts site in the UK, problem is they are about £300 each! Not wise on a car that wouldn't sell for more than £1500!
Old 14-06-14, 02:12 PM   #8
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Just been through this with a friend's S4 which uses the same caliper. Couldn't get a new one from the usual places. Although they show them as in stock, they're not.

Audi are £487 + vat for each caliper. Managed to use a 2nd hand one, ironically from an Allroad
Old 15-06-14, 01:41 AM   #9
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Holy christ. right, seals kit it is then, I WILL make it work! The one I did already works great, just one piston seems to jam on each side. Just need to get around the bloody 19mm single hex bleed nipple! Pressure bleeder at the ready.
Old 17-06-14, 10:08 PM   #10
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Found some. new/remanufactured. £100 each.

20mpg summer it might be after all. Then sell it in winter.