Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » I need to find a garage!

Old 27-05-12, 07:37 AM   #11
Scarlet
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missfire View Post
Stick a non-turbo engine in it! 2.2 or 2.3. Job done for 500 bucks. Pain in the fkin ar*e these things, I'm seriously comtemplating it with mine. The more you look the more you find needing done, you'll be 3 or 4 grand down before you know it if you stick it in a garage. Unless you're rich of course then it doesn't matter, I'm not! Hate to think what I'd have paid in labour by now on these things, probably about as much as I earn in a year if I hadn't done the work myself.
I love the fact its the turbo one, the car has its own fund, i know its going to be big big money, hence why the car has its own saving account

Quattro Nation
Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-12, 10:43 AM   #12
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
Its a 1990 type44 100 quattro 2.2 turbo avant, needs new cooling system (rad, water pump and several pipes are leaking), head done, timing belt, oil seals etc It has now sat for so long its going to need loads of other stuff done but surely someone will do it??
Last garage i spoke to the guy said he would have done it but he works on his own and he thought it would take about 2 months to do and he could do 40+ other cars in that time
If the timing belt was done, then the water pump woul/could/should have been done, too. Worth double checking.

If the front has been apart recently for all that work, then swapping some pipes and a rad shouldn't need 2 months, or even 2 days.

Get some spanners, a little wiggle room, and borrow the Haynes audi100 manual from the library.(fairly sure there is one; the extra turbo parts shouldn't take much thought)
Old 27-05-12, 01:42 PM   #13
Scarlet
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MSH! View Post
If the timing belt was done, then the water pump woul/could/should have been done, too. Worth double checking.

If the front has been apart recently for all that work, then swapping some pipes and a rad shouldn't need 2 months, or even 2 days.

Get some spanners, a little wiggle room, and borrow the Haynes audi100 manual from the library.(fairly sure there is one; the extra turbo parts shouldn't take much thought)
No thats a list of what needs done that i know of lol

I have all the manuals

Quattro Nation
Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-12, 07:46 PM   #14
sam
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
, needs new cooling system (rad, water pump and several pipes are leaking), head done, timing belt, oil seals etc
its pretty much a headgasket job, whip head of, take to machine shop and ask for skim, new stem seals and valves and seats cut. change pipes and rad whilst waiting for the head, then put it back together with new belt and waterpump....
shouldn't take any decent garage even a week and that would be serious heal dragging and waiting for it coming back from getting head done
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-12, 08:06 PM   #15
geneandbolly
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Tried him wont touch it with a barge pole lol he has never done one before, though in saying that we took a bmw 330 to him and he was confused by that, my dad took it home and fixed it himself after jase telling him it would never work, one of the guys my dad knows used to be a bmw tech and told him how to fix it himself
BLOODY HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY ON EARTH ARE THERE SO MANY MECHANICS OUT THERE COMPLETELY IGNORANT/ UNWILLING REGARDING AUDIS!!??!!