Classic Audi » Classifieds section » Parts Wanted » 1990 Audi 2309cc 20v Coupe Quattro

Old 24-03-11, 08:52 PM   #41
msh
4 ring whore!

Ah, now it's understood.
Did you tried to connect that wire to both pins on sender? And did you tried to connect it to ground?
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-11, 08:58 PM   #42
ksaudi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
Ah, now it's understood.
Did you tried to connect that wire to both pins on sender? And did you tried to connect it to ground?
No, will give it a try tomorrow. Unsure what you mean re connect to ground. I thought Sender connected directly to block. What do we ground?
Thanks.
ksaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-11, 09:22 PM   #43
msh
4 ring whore!

Connecting it to ground will show where is the problem - if gauge remains to max, check more throughly wire between sender and gauge, if it stands @ 0, it's sender. But first try another pin.
Old 25-03-11, 03:38 PM   #44
ksaudi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Connecting it to ground will show where is the problem - if gauge remains to max, check more throughly wire between sender and gauge, if it stands @ 0, it's sender. But first try another pin.
Swopped cables but no difference except oil warning symbol appeared.
Disconnected and earthed Gauge / Sender cable - Gauge stayed and didn't fly to max.
This seems to confirm it is a faulty Sender.
Thanks.
Old 26-03-11, 02:05 AM   #45
msh
4 ring whore!

When looking for another sender, I suggest you to look for one from B3, B4, C3 or C4 A100, unless you're sure that sender from "something else" has identical function - I once tested 10 bar gauge installed in one B2, turned out that this gauge expects the same resistance range as 5 bar ones like yours or mine - which means there's also senders with 10 bar range with identical resistance... So if you would find such sender and install it in your CQ, you would complain about "low oil pressure as shown by aux gauge"
Old 26-03-11, 05:15 AM   #46
ksaudi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
When looking for another sender, I suggest you to look for one from B3, B4, C3 or C4 A100, unless you're sure that sender from "something else" has identical function - I once tested 10 bar gauge installed in one B2, turned out that this gauge expects the same resistance range as 5 bar ones like yours or mine - which means there's also senders with 10 bar range with identical resistance... So if you would find such sender and install it in your CQ, you would complain about "low oil pressure as shown by aux gauge"
Thanks for that.
Mike at AUDIBITS2@aol.com is sending me one which I believe is the same, although nearly as old as mine but a fair gamble as new ones are expensive and I could easily pick up the wrong used one from elsewhere.
Will post final outcome.