Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments » Electric to Manual Window Conversion on 1984 Coupe GT

Old 30-06-17, 09:26 AM   #11
chalkyh
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I've just used a B3 80 / 90 window motor on my B2 90 - goes straight on if you have motor issues. The motors are handed the same, so for a driver's side you'd need a B3 driver's side. The B3 regulator is similar but doesn't bolt up to the inside of the B2 door, although the cables look the same when it's all stripped down - so might provide useful spare parts.
chalkyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-17, 09:09 AM   #12
jameshbond007
Grown up member

OK, passenger side window regulator is now stripped, cleaned, re-built, and lubricated/greased. It works perfectly on the bench so I'm a happier chap regards this. All pointers provided (above) have been marvellous - thanks !

However, the driver's side unit appears to have an open circuit motor winding. So far, I've been unable to free the motor from the rest of the mechanics - the end of the shaft gets stuck at the end. Any pointers ? Also, does anyone have a suitable replacement motor I could take off their hands (at an agreed price of course) ?
jameshbond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-17, 03:11 PM   #13
jameshbond007
Grown up member

Sound advice from chalkyh (above). I located a suitable Mk II Coupe's window regulator on ebay.de and took the plunge. Having once been a passenger side window motor on Germany, it is soon to be a driver's side motor on my Mk I coupe. I've already made the motor swap and rebuilt, greased, etc. and it works perfectly. I just need to change to the older style quick-connect and fit it back into the car.
jameshbond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-17, 03:29 PM   #14
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Progress, well done !

sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-18, 03:44 PM   #15
a1quattro
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default electric window units for coupe 1980/91 HELP

hi has anyone got the part numbers [ OR HELP ] of the electric window motor complete unit for the gt . I have recently purchased a pair for my 1984 gt part number 855837398B ? on o/s unit , not sure if that's the part number for the whole unit or just part of it . I have spent several hrs trying to fit them but after bolting in the up write slider to bottom of door and two bolts to top , then I just can not make the motor with the 3 studs reach the bolt holes in the door , its almost as if the cables are to short . the person the sold me these asures me they came straight out of a gt [he has even shown me pics and filmed them before removal ] and said 100% they are not from any other car like a 4door saloon . I have no reason to doubt him . but what the hell am I doing wrong , they just seem to short . even a windscreen fitter [friend] took one look and said they are not write units
a1quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-18, 12:07 PM   #16
a1quattro
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default electric window info req / audi coupe 1984

has anyone on here got a complete electric motor with cables , out of a car that they can take a picture of or even just measure cable lengths , as I just cant get a set to fit which I recently bought , the cables seem to be to short
Old 24-03-18, 12:40 PM   #17
msh
4 ring whore!

Part number is correct, but for cars from VIN number F 85-E-090 680 onwards - unfortunately I have no ETKA, so I cannot see when that VIN happened.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-18, 06:31 PM   #18
a1quattro
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

ok as far as I know the electric widow unit fitment is the same on all the b2 coupes , unless someone knows different ?? just seems that my cables are to short for the motor to bolt into its 3 bolt holes located on the door ?
Old 25-03-18, 12:02 PM   #19
andya
Classic Audi Club Member

I've got a spare I'm about to go and retrieve - unfortunately I need it myself, but I can measure for you if you want....

andya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-18, 08:29 PM   #20
a1quattro
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

cool that would be great just need the measurement from main rail slider ,halfway down it , across to the motor at a set point to see if mine are correct or not