Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Changing the manifold gasket on a 2.2 KV?

Old 22-04-16, 08:59 PM   #1
dockertrigger
Grown up member

Default Changing the manifold gasket on a 2.2 KV?

The exhaust manifold to head gasket on my 1988 90 2.2 KV has a blow making a horrible ticking sound, it's got to the point that I'm embarrassed to drive the car and workmates are taking the pee out of me so i need to sort it!.

How hard a job is it to change? I know rusted nuts on the studs could be a issue but is it something that can be done at home? Any tips or hints?, is it too much work to remove the fuel injection to get to them?

Thanks.
dockertrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-16, 09:33 PM   #2
lefthooker
Classic Audi Club Member

Removing the inlet manifold will make the job infinitely easier. Once the obvious has been disconnected from the top end, there's only eight 8mm socket headed bolts holding it on along the underside.

lefthooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-16, 10:04 PM   #3
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Changing the manifold gasket on a 2.2 KV?

It might be worth checking that all the studs are in place, and gaskets clamped, if you can, before a major strip. I know it's a different model, but a old friend had a very noisy manifold on his WR quattro, and after some careful checking (thinking worst case scenario, cracked manifold) it turned out to be one stud had literally dropped out, and the gasket was not clamped by the other.

The gaskets being individual gaskets per port.

Old 23-04-16, 10:51 PM   #4
dockertrigger
Grown up member

Thanks guys, my dad had a look at it today and we think it could be easier come up from below if we remove the engine mount and jack the engine up a little bit?. Although we managed to tighten up the damaged nut at the front of the manifold and it seems a bit quieter now and once it gets warmer it gets even more quieter so I'm going to play it by ear for now and see what happens with the mot next month, if it stays like it is at the moment i might just leave it as it is.
dockertrigger is offline   Reply With Quote