Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Interior » Odometer still not working!

Old 28-12-16, 07:57 PM   #41
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

i may be wrong, but I think this sensor provides the input which is used for all distance/speed measurements on the instrument cluster. It would be interesting to know if the trip computer (if fitted) stops giving useful outputs (avg.spd/MPG/etc).
If it does, then I'd suspect a connection fault common to the entire cluster. If not, then a connection fault local to one or two functions. In the V8, its apparently common to have a bad contact on a two pin connection where the speedo connects directly into the main board.

Did you take a shot at desoldering any components?
Old 28-12-16, 08:11 PM   #42
Gmac
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MSH! View Post
i may be wrong, but I think this sensor provides the input which is used for all distance/speed measurements on the instrument cluster. It would be interesting to know if the trip computer (if fitted) stops giving useful outputs (avg.spd/MPG/etc).
If it does, then I'd suspect a connection fault common to the entire cluster. If not, then a connection fault local to one or two functions. In the V8, its apparently common to have a bad contact on a two pin connection where the speedo connects directly into the main board.

Did you take a shot at desoldering any components?
Hi Mark! Mine doesn't have the trip computer.. also not had the soldering iron out. I'm hoping to get the car back on the ramp tomorrow and get it in gear with the cluster in bits and hopfully i'll be able to see whats going on with the motor and cogs.

How does the steering wheel come off by the way? anyone?

Just been reading over on the s2 forum and found a thread where the guy replaced the small motor from a c4 100 and got his 80's odo working again! I have high hopes of getting a spare motor/circuit board and getting mine going! I will not be defeated! haha

Last edited by Gmac; 28-12-16 at 08:28 PM.
Gmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-16, 09:58 AM   #43
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

It does both. if the speedo stops working, the trip / odo will also stop working.
Old 29-12-16, 12:59 PM   #44
Gmac
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes2 View Post
It does both. if the speedo stops working, the trip / odo will also stop working.
Ok, thanks. My odo and trip weren't working but the speedo was. If this is a sensor problem surely it would knock out all three at the same time?
Old 29-12-16, 06:06 PM   #45
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmac View Post
If this is a sensor problem surely it would knock out all three at the same time?
This would be my conclusion, too.

So. I'd guess
1)the process of dismantling and reassembling the cluster has resulted in inducing an intermittent fault into the speedo too.
2)You randomly had a sensor issue.
3)there was a bad connection from the loom onto the cluster

I would certainly be tackling this (original symptom) as a fault related purely to the odo drive.
Secondly, do some preventive maintenance on the speed sender, just in case.

If I remember correctly, there was a 4 pin connector to connect the motor board to the cluster. There's a good chance that one pin is ground. Another is most likely power. A rough guess would be the two outer pins, but it is only a guess.
Which leaves 2 pins possibly for the sender signal. Which is likely carried through from the main cluster.

Brown is chassis ground.
Power is possibly a red/striped.
If you can find the colours of the cable connecting the sender into the loom, or do a continuity check with the DVM between the sender connection and the cluster harness, you should be some way towards identifying what should be happening on the motor board.

However!
When next you have a chance, would you record the info on the black IC on that motor board? If we can identify the device, then we should also be able to identify what the inputs and outputs are.

Do you have an oscilloscope?
Old 29-12-16, 09:33 PM   #46
Gmac
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Well here's hopefully a link to my YouTube channel showing the result of an hour down the garage !!

https://youtu.be/n5aY2YQM3So

https://youtu.be/5E13G8ZsEXE

Last edited by Gmac; 29-12-16 at 09:35 PM.
Old 29-12-16, 10:14 PM   #47
slacky
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Nice one , gotta admire your patience & tenacity

90q-Cab.
2.3E-Ur-S6
-b2-80 Sport
Member 111
slacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-16, 12:49 PM   #48
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Nice one Gmac
Just need to find a box big enough to post my car up to you now !

sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-16, 01:06 PM   #49
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

So today my little cog arrived CHEERS SLACKY
I opened the envelope to find a piece of paper with "cog under the sticker" written on it i had not realised just how small this cog is so with my fumble fingers i got the cog and would you believe dropped it , now with the hobby i have i knew it would not be on the carpet in the spot i expected it to be because little parts bounce like you wouldn't believe, and occasionaly the carpet monster eats them ( or so it seems ).
So on my hands and knees looking, how can it be hard to see a bright white cog on a beige carpet ? so after feeling around the carpet for half an hour i thought fook the carpet monster has eaten it, got up, and headed out of my hobby room walking into the door frame because i was still eyes glued to the carpet and then i spotted something right at the edge of the carpet against the skirting board, could it be ? yes it could, how the hell did it move 8 feet across the room
Anyway it is safe now, until i have a go as Gmac has, then i will lose cogs screws and anything else i can i bet we will see.

sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-16, 03:14 PM   #50
Gmac
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Hilarious!!! Yeh, work in an area where if something falls then it'll be easy to spot! Better still work on the ground! haha. If you want to send it my way then no problem!!