Classic Audi » Classifieds section » Cars Wanted » After a Audi Cabriolet 1.8 5v!

Old 30-07-15, 06:49 PM   #31
DanielGT500
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Reeve View Post
No that's why I have been voted independent AudI parts supplier of the year 3 times.
What's your real name Targus lets not hide behind mommies pinny any longer
I think he was only joking don't worry about it
DanielGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15, 08:56 PM   #32
DanielGT500
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

http://www.gumtree.com/p/audi/superb...car/1128026376

Manual roof, 2.0, 76K, FSH but on sorn for the past 2 years. what do you think?
Old 06-08-15, 09:44 AM   #33
PoloGaz
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Well, it's not quite what you were looking for is it?

I think that's the engine I'd go for if my mrs was looking for one. I had a 2.3 that she loved driving but I prefer EFI engines as they are usually easier to diagnose faults on. (which I already have the kit to do) I suspect performance will be about the same between the 1.8 and 2.0. It's an early one, so it'll have square bumpers and normal headlights.

Check the roof seals and the roof box catch release switch (b pillar near drivers door catch)

Probably needs an MOT and some recommissioning. Bet the roof needs a coat of fabsil.

Last edited by PoloGaz; 06-08-15 at 09:48 AM.
PoloGaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 12:07 PM   #34
DanielGT500
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoloGaz View Post
Well, it's not quite what you were looking for is it?

I think that's the engine I'd go for if my mrs was looking for one. I had a 2.3 that she loved driving but I prefer EFI engines as they are usually easier to diagnose faults on. (which I already have the kit to do) I suspect performance will be about the same between the 1.8 and 2.0. It's an early one, so it'll have square bumpers and normal headlights.

Check the roof seals and the roof box catch release switch (b pillar near drivers door catch)

Probably needs an MOT and some recommissioning. Bet the roof needs a coat of fabsil.
You're absolutely right, it isn't quite what I am after, the 2.0 is weaker and older engine than the 1.8. Also manual roof because the electric roof became available the next year. The owner already has an offer on it so I don't have much chance to get it anyway. They don't come by that easy that's the problem. Also everything is so far from Norwich, I would rather not go to the other side of the country for a car worth £1-2000 but might do for a right one... This one was fairly close to me, only in Ipswich, not too bad.
On ebay and auto trader there is a 1998 Cabriolet 1.8 with around 100K on it but that dealer is far from reality with the price. They want £1995 for it... The roof would need a good clean, the rear seat's bottom of the backrest shows dampness (probably roof left open in the rain and haven't dried out properly), drivers seat side cover bit missing, cracked nearside foglamp lens (that's the rounded one). They would need to come down heavily on that price. Also I've seen that on ebay for 1-2 months now so obviously there isn't much interest... This would also be fairly close, just Stowmarket, ~35 miles. Here is the link for that:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01506204491737

What do you think?
Old 06-08-15, 12:22 PM   #35
PoloGaz
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Yeah price seems on the high side. It's getting quite late in the year to be asking strong money for one. I personally don't like the colour combination. mostly it's the roof that's putting me off...sounds like youve been to see it? The damp could be a porous roof. Mine certainly was when I got it. But fabsil works a treat on the old canvas...

Does come with 12 months warranty though. I've had issues with small time dealer warranties so I'm probably not the best person to recommend something based on that

Just to add - on paper the 2.0 is 115bhp and the 1.8 125bhp. But most people agree the 1.8 20v is a terrible enigine unless turbocharged. The 2.0 should be a more relaxed cruiser, like the 2.3. But the 1.8 needs to be thrashed for anything to happen. It will only disappoint.

Out of the two I'd go for the red one.

Last edited by PoloGaz; 06-08-15 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-08-15, 04:10 PM   #36
DanielGT500
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

No I haven't been to see it yet, just looked at the pictures closely. You can actually see the darker patch on the backrests... Probably Saturday next week I can go to view it. If I make an offer, it will be a cheeky one...
Old 06-08-15, 05:36 PM   #37
cjp0349
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGT500 View Post
This would also be fairly close, just Stowmarket, ~35 miles. Here is the link for that:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01506204491737

What do you think?
Typical dealer trick of photographing the car when it's wet...makes the paintwork look better in the photos
1973 (M) 80L 1.3 2-dr white
1979 (T) 80SE 1.6 met.bue
1983 (Y) 80CL 1.6 met.blue
cjp0349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 05:43 PM   #38
DanielGT500
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

That's way too expensive for it's condition too... The red one is still for sale but has a viewing at the weekend but I can't go before next Saturday so let's hope I'll be lucky and it doesn't go this weekend.
In terms of reliability, how do these 2 engines and the 2.3 compare?
Old 06-08-15, 05:56 PM   #39
PoloGaz
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

2.3 has ke3 mechanical injection with Ecu controlling warm up, fuel mixture and ignition. I think generally it's reliable but complicated and difficult to fault find. Mechanically mine still sounded great with 170k. On the clock. Friend of mine has a 1.8 20v cab with over 150k on it. Only bother he had was some kind of oil leak from the dipstick tube. 2.0 I am not experienced with, but it's an unstressed unit. Pretty sure they're bullet proof
Old 06-08-15, 06:00 PM   #40
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

That red one looks and sounds honest enough although the pics aren't the best, would be the one I'd go for. Offers invited too Can't see too many folks being interested with no MOT, one offer might be all the seller gets??
Fog and indicator lenses look a mess on the blue car, and strut brace is missing?

John. is offline   Reply With Quote