Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Home made roll cage camera mount.

Old 01-09-17, 12:59 PM   #1
Jake Blight
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Home made roll cage camera mount.

Thought someone might be interested. I didn't want to mount it on a suction cup as the track day folk don't always appreciate it, so figured why not have a go at making my own. A few photos in the link to my google drive, but I doubt you'd need them. If I can do it so can anyone. (Now just waiting on the Mobius in car camera).

All you need is a 45mm exhaust mount, a bolt that has the same thread as a standard camera mount, some rubber matting and a few bolts.

Literally you drill a hole through the flat section of the exhaust hanger just wide enough to fit the comera mounting bolt. I slightly ground the head off on the edges to make it a firm fit without movement when I bolted it in. (Yes I managed not to drill the hole centrally to the mount, my bad, but it's fine for the camera I'm using). Test the camera on the bolt before you grind the head just to make sure it'll be facing in the right direction when you put everything together. Put a washer on the outside of the exhaust hanger and then tighten the nut up. Next was another nut and a rubber washer (home made and cut to size... word of advice if you want it not to split then drill or cut the hole in it before cutting it out of the rubber). This nut and washer tightens up against the camera once its been screwed onto the mount. Then cut enough rubber to go securely around the roll cage before mounting the exhaust bracket onto it. You can cut the exhaust bracket screw threads down to minimise the home made appearance if you like neat and tidy. Then finally fit your camera and adjust for best viewpoint.

I will be also using a cable tie from the camera to the cage as a secondary safety idea, not that it'll (hopefully) ever be needed.

Please note that this is a first attempt at this, so don't take my word as gospel that it will survive forever, and yes there are mounts available to buy, but it was more fun making my own and far far cheaper lol.

Hope the pics are self explanatory.. and if this has been done before... ach who cares?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3g...ew?usp=sharing
Jake Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 03:35 PM   #2
SwallownAmazon
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Jake, I don't know whether you intend to compete in MSA governed speed events but if you do, don't forget to seek permission from the organisers before you use a camera. There are very strict rules governing the use of video cameras in motor sport.
SwallownAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 07:34 PM   #3
Jake Blight
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Yup have thought about that. It's ok for track days and fun jaunts but not so sure about events. If I can get an ok for a hill climb or two that would be nice... we shall see.
Jake Blight is offline   Reply With Quote