Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Another How Much???

Old 19-07-15, 09:03 PM   #11
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenquattro View Post
I am going to disagree.
I think that the B3 is more iconic than the B2. The same with the Typ44/C3 100 against the C2 (flush glazing/CD Factors etc) . They are far more of the era when Audi were very much 'Vorsprung Durch Technic', along with the Ur quattro.
They will be desirable one day.
The same applies to the original A4.
The earlier Audi 80/100s were nothing special in comparison with the exception of the original 100 Coupe S/200 5T.
Opinions?
I'm going to agree with Ken here, the B3 was a huge design and technological step for Audi... So much so that a well presented B3 is still accepted as a modern day car AND completely ignored in a UK street scene... The B2 chassis, was/is iconic but the jump came more from marketing of a technology rather than the delivey of a technology.... The B3 provided the realisation of the main stream quattro dream...
Old 19-07-15, 09:10 PM   #12
David Small
David Small - Mr 80k
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
I am going to disagree.
I think that the B3 is more iconic than the B2. The same with the Typ44/C3 100 against the C2 (flush glazing/CD Factors etc) . They are far more of the era when Audi were very much 'Vorsprung Durch Technic', along with the Ur quattro.
The earlier Audi 80/100s were nothing special in comparison with the exception of the original 100 Coupe S/200 5T.
Opinions?
I will disagree on just one point there Kenny, the original A4 (B5), that model saw a down turn in Audi build quality compared to the B3/B4. The B6 A4 is a far better car. Don't i recall you having a B5 and disliking it immensely
David Small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-15, 09:17 PM   #13
john johnson
Moderator of sausages
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxy View Post
problem is, they just ain't that sought after and probably never will be either
I have to disagree .... It's the dullest car they ever released . The style and charisma of a veruca . It may have been a leap in quality and substance but no
And if you are reading this as James may would say ' you're a cock '
john johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-15, 09:18 PM   #14
Kenquattro
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Dave, I hated my B5 A4.
However, arguably, this was the model sales wise which started the Audi brand we have today.
The TV ad for the B5 A4 is quite ironic to watch these days, as the guy in the ad is probably more likely to aspire to a current Audi.
Kenquattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-15, 10:28 PM   #15
David Small
David Small - Mr 80k
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Dave, I hated my B5 A4.
However, arguably, this was the model sales wise which started the Audi brand we have today.
The TV ad for the B5 A4 is quite ironic to watch these days, as the guy in the ad is probably more likely to aspire to a current Audi.
The B5 A4 was certainly well received by the press, but Audi's real progress was brand separation from VW and the creation of the new Audi network. This move had more influence on moving the brand upmarket than the B5 did.

Like our pre A series Audi's when did you last see a B5 on your daily commute.
David Small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-15, 06:17 PM   #16
sarah0
Newbie!

i think that's an awful lot of money for a bog standard 80
sarah0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-15, 08:36 PM   #17
Steev
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
I am going to disagree.
Opinions?
Slight contradiction here Ken, I have to say I don't know the B3, one could fall on me kill me and I wouldn't know what it was.

But what I would say that without the earlier 80/100/Coupe S there would be no B3.

As regards being nothing special, sorry I used to leave Mexicos behind in my 100GL in the 70's.

Audi were in a different place than Ford at that point but I believe they had something that could have competed against them in rallies in the early 70's had they the financial clout to do so.

In the days before mass produced fuel injection and turbos, a twin choke carb was the kick you needed to leave them behind, they used to be marketed as the 3 litre car in 2 litre format, that was for a reason.

The later models of the C1 100 had a slight bump in the front slam panel. The aim of this was to slot in the 5 pot engine that eventually went into the C2 and then the quattro.

Had the models C2 and quattro not happened (not the technology)... your guess is as good as mine.

One chap in Germany has dropped a 5 pot plus turbo into a C1, another has put quattro drive train on a Coupe S. Both are awesome motors.

I think the main point is that a Coupe S is no where near as good as 2005T and shouldn't be compared, although I prefer the saloon C1 to the Coupe S, I think they handle better, but to dismiss them as nothing special belies the over 1 million that were made and sold to a market in the 60's and 70's that must have felt they were something special.

When I bought my 75 100GL in 79 I certainly thought so.

Just sayin....
NSU RO 80 1975 (look it up!)
Vauxhall Cavalier Mk1 2000 GL 1979
Vauxhall Cavalier Mk1 1900 GL Coupe 1978
Vauxhall Viva HB 1967 (45HP beast!)
Steev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-15, 09:08 PM   #18
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
I would argue that the B3 80/90 looked anything but boring on launch in '86/'87. The interior was the start of the Audi dominance in car interior design.
Sadly, that was then, and very quickly, the world moved on. I don't really know much about the model as such. However...

In the coupe in particular, you can see how the lines were evolved, but in the process, smoothed out a little, maybe too much.
The 'sporting' heritage doesn't carry forward from the B2, to my mind.
Externally, It lacks presence.

No doubt about it, it's technology moving forward, and maybe stands as a defining point between how they got here, and where they wanted to go.
Looking at that particular car in the ad, it says 'well cared for, reliable, inexpensive, quality motoring'.

It doesn't say exciting.

Rather akin to an obsessive historian getting excited about the weird bricks in an otherwise nondescript building that the rest of us wouldn't notice.
Old 26-07-15, 05:56 AM   #19
Targus
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john johnson View Post
I have to disagree .... It's the dullest car they ever released . The style and charisma of a veruca . It may have been a leap in quality and substance but no
I have to disagree, I find the best audi's was the cheapest one's that you don't care about, the one's that cost peanuts to run and maintain and you could chuck around and have fun driving.

Yes this one is very high priced for what it is even with the milage and condition but if it was sub £500 like most you would have more fun keeping it on the boil racing around in. Should be cheap on fuel, cheap to repair if the worst happened etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MSH! View Post
Sadly, that was then, and very quickly, the world moved on. I don't really know much about the model as such. However...

In the coupe in particular, you can see how the lines were evolved, but in the process, smoothed out a little, maybe too much.
The 'sporting' heritage doesn't carry forward from the B2, to my mind.
Externally, It lacks presence.

No doubt about it, it's technology moving forward, and maybe stands as a defining point between how they got here, and where they wanted to go.
Looking at that particular car in the ad, it says 'well cared for, reliable, inexpensive, quality motoring'.

It doesn't say exciting.

Rather akin to an obsessive historian getting excited about the weird bricks in an otherwise nondescript building that the rest of us wouldn't notice.
you have the largest signiture i've seen in a long time, the ur looks good though....
Targus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-15, 08:43 AM   #20
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus View Post
you have the largest signiture i've seen in a long time, the ur looks good though....
And they say size doesn't matter!

I've been trying to crop it and resize, but it loses too much detail.