Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Brexit stuff.

Old 19-12-18, 08:50 PM   #51
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
"Something "fishy" about it all but cant figure out what.."

Sturgeon or Salmon?

vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-18, 08:54 PM   #52
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy3074 View Post

I suspect your average European Joe wouldn’t be too upset about us going!!

I suspect quite a few are waiting to see how it goes for us before wishing it for themselves
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-18, 09:14 PM   #53
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

On the evidence so far I can’t imagine many rushing to join us.......
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-18, 09:22 PM   #54
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
On the evidence so far I can’t imagine many rushing to join us.......
Surely you must know that Holland is on the cusp of leaving as is Italy and Poland are now sceptical because of their religious beliefs and don't want other religions in their own country hence immigrants.
And Greece poor old Greece who voted to leave but that was overturned and Eu politicians parachuted in to take over and rape and pillage their countries privately owned businesses to fall in line and do what the Eu says. I'm afraid the Eu is nothing better than than the Third Reich except not a single bullet has been fired!

Last edited by vorsprung durch technik; 20-12-18 at 07:31 PM.
Old 19-12-18, 09:36 PM   #55
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Where a No Deal Brexit is concerned, I've heard endless accounts of why this would be awful for a variety of reasons I'm sure we've all heard already.

Yesterday on Radio 4 I heard a businessman, who manufacturers and sells washing machines, say that he wasn't taking any precautions for a No Deal scenario as his people would just adopt World Trade Organization rules as they already do for their existing customers outside the EU. He sounded sane, sober and relaxed in his responses.

He is only the second such view I've heard over the past year, the rest have been prophesying doom. Surely he can't be unique. All those I've heard condemn reverting to WTO rules have not actually been using them.

So, do I believe the seemingly large majority who have no practical experience of the threat, or the minority who already deal with it regularly?

We may only have to fear fear itself.........

Last edited by Ringmaster; 19-12-18 at 09:39 PM.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-18, 09:44 PM   #56
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
Where a No Deal Brexit is concerned, I've heard endless accounts of why this would be awful for a variety of reasons I'm sure we've all heard already.

Yesterday on Radio 4 I heard a businessman, who manufacturers and sells washing machines, say that he wasn't taking any precautions for a No Deal scenario as his people would just adopt World Trade Organization rules as they already do for their existing customers outside the EU. He sounded sane, sober and relaxed in his responses.

He is only the second such view I've heard over the past year, the rest have been prophesying doom. Surely he can't be unique. All those I've heard condemn reverting to WTO rules have not actually been using them.

So, do I believe the seemingly large majority who have no practical experience of the threat, or the minority who already deal with it regularly?

We may only have to fear fear itself.........
Yep it's all fear used by the side that lost sadly perpetuated by the "Machine" ie media and Eurofiles which sadly is the main dominating force trying to stamp out anyones voice who disagrees with them ie Brexitiers.

Slightly different but had the same effect of spreading fear. Do you remember project fear how the world would stop when the clock turned over to one second into 01,01,2000?
Old 19-12-18, 09:51 PM   #57
billy_bunter
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4v6 View Post
Youre kind of missing the point.
Its not the margin of the win that legitimizes the result.
Democracy in this country operates on a first past the post basis.
Maybe youve forgotten the referendum we recently had on changing it tabled by the libdems in favour of PR?
19.1 million voted in total for the 2011 referendum, ( 17.4 million voted leave in this referendum) with 32.1% saying yes to PR/AV and 67.9% saying No.
If we take the remainer arguments then according to them because only 19million voted the NO result of 2011 should get rerun as well.....

No one has any reason to bitch about the resultof the EU referendum being anything less than fair, legal and democratic.

As for another vote, screw that ploy as well.
When we joined the eec we didnt get another vote until 45 years later after implementation, for some reason remainers alone believe they have some kind of moral majority to even prevent a similar implementation of the Leave vote.
Why is that? I dont have any clue how they can argue for it with a straight face, its simply the case that theyre losers who lost the vote and cant handle being told NO! You cant have what you want any more.

Its high time they were told in no uncertain terms where to go with that attitude.

Sorry, I did not make myself that clear.

Agreed the vote stands.

My pissboil is the use of the word 'majority', as if the result was 90% to 10%.

Put it the other way round. In the same context. Would you say 48% was a "minority". I would not.

There was a 4% difference. Translate that as nearly half those that voted pissed off and just over half happy. Thus as a country we are to all intents and purposes split.

No more meaning was intended, implied or inferred.
billy_bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-18, 10:26 PM   #58
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

What I do find surprising is the lack of weight attached to the reasons that the EU and the UN were established and are now being undermined by the populists if the world.

Alternative truths, ‘us against the world’ (from lots of perspectives) the rise of nationalism across Europe, the USA becoming an unreliable partner etc etc., the polar positions that people take beyond any reasoning (look at the States and here).

I doubt we’re in for a great time for a while.

As for Brexit, the politicians have managed to destroy the positive possibilities that were there. We are in a position of national crisis and are being led by a shower of self serving pygmies.

You have to be a simpleton to believe that there’s not going to be a negative effect on all of us. Trade and financial services are a big part of what we do. A hard brexit will hit us, the only unknown is how hard and for how long.

I actually respect May for seeing it through but she’s fallen into the trap of trying to please everybody and thereby pleasing nobody.

The alternative Leaders, both from the Tories and Labour don’t currently bear thinking about.

Where are the politicians with intellectual heft, credibility and common decency?

Feck knows what happens from here.

Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-18, 03:27 PM   #59
moonwatcher
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
You’ve lost me there.....

Does that mean the EU should have a vote on whether or not we should do Brexit?

I suspect your average European Joe wouldn’t be too upset about us going!!

No, It was a rather tongue in cheek suggestion that if our cousins from north of the border were to have an independence referendum then all of the UK voters should be entitled to vote.
I voted leave in the Brexit referendum and I'd vote leave for our cousins too
Old 20-12-18, 07:15 PM   #60
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Yeah right, thats why 17.4 million Brits voted for Brexit in our nations biggest ever vote in our entire history to get away from loons like him in the Eu.

Only thing he forgot to to do was attach a top lip tash and rais his right arm!

https://youtu.be/8uK87QZf62s