Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » KU wiring/ where does this connect?

Old 13-04-17, 11:13 AM   #1
simons2
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default KU wiring/ where does this connect?

Hello All
After some help please. rebuilt the engine on my Ku but left with a spare wire and not sure where it connects!
Hope you can make it out in the picture green/brown and it has a live feed.
Can someone please help with a wiring diagram or a picture from under you 100 KU engine Audi??
thank you in advance and hope you all have a great bank holiday weekend.
Simon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resized KU wiring.jpg (80.2 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by simons2; 13-04-17 at 04:03 PM.
simons2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-17, 08:16 PM   #2
ovalking
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

A loose live wire does not sound right!

Are you sure this is not an earth wire? - There is one connected to the inlet manifold (at the hose bracket).

In that general area, I've also got a blue connector on the Cold Start Valve; Black Connector on the throttle body; 2 single wire connectors to the temp sensor near the valve cover bracket; and a 3 wire brown connector which just hangs there!
ovalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-17, 10:56 PM   #3
Sandro
Grown up member

same with my one.. it's just hanging there
Sandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-17, 07:56 AM   #4
simons2
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks for the reply guys really appreciated.
I wondered if it was an earth but put a test light on it and switch the ignition on at it was live.
When I earth it the engine rev's rise.
Here's another picture of the wire and area.
If anyone has a picture of that area?
One of the throttle plugs has provision for 4 wires but on the inside of it only 3 plugs so it don't go there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170413_115455.jpg (168.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 14-04-17, 08:37 AM   #5
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

There have been a couple of examples recently, where a single wire has broken off from a crimp connection, with another wire still in position. Two wires into one connection. Time and use having caused some fatigue in the joint.

So, is it switched live, by the ignition key, or because it's floating, there's some voltage there from another component. I'd use a multimeter to be sure.

If I were you, I'd also Identify the components with electrical connections within reach of that wire. Then I would find the point where that wire comes out of the harness, and look for any other wires exiting at the same point. Maybe a multi-pin connector that doesn't have connections to all of the available pins, or similar. There appears to be one close by in your second pic.

Then check if the spare wire is a similar length to those other wires, and find out if there is a missing wire. Don't go experimenting and prodding it in likely places.

Last edited by Hanuman; 14-04-17 at 08:39 AM.
Hanuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-17, 01:40 PM   #6
simons2
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I'll check again to ensure there's not part of a wiring hang out one of the plugs.
Live on ignition but again I'll check again.
Done that but no joy, however was thing about the ISV which seems to work and wonder if there is some relationship, maybe just a wild goose chase but....
There are only about dozen wires coming through that part of the loom with connectors for ISV, Temp, Throttle and warm up injector so its odd.
If someone has the same set up a few pictures of that area would be really appreciated.
thanks again to everyone above for there input thus far
Old 14-04-17, 03:14 PM   #7
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

If the wire is a ground connection from a component, connected to a component that has 12 volts applied, then you might well see 12volts on this wire, even though it may normally be connected to ground.

For instance- a solenoid. Which is basically a wire wound around a bit of metal. 12v on one end, and grounded at the other- it is a solenoid. Disconnect the ground, and keep 12v connected, you'll be able to measure 12v on both sides of the solenoid. Which is in keeping with what you described with the test lamp.
Old 14-04-17, 03:18 PM   #8
simons2
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

OK Hanuman makes sense thanks, I'll have a look tomorrow afternoon.
Old 14-04-17, 07:13 PM   #9
ovalking
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I've got 2 wires to the ISV connector, 2 to the CSV, 3 to the throttle switch, and 3 to the spare hanging connector.

But that may be irrelevant as you've got an extra throttle body connection!

Your broken wire *looks* like my earth wire - it's connected to that allen screw securing the hose bracket on the back of the manifold. Have you got that?

I took some photos, but it's not an easy area to capture so doubt they will help much.

ovalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-17, 08:00 AM   #10
simons2
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

OVALKING that's great thank you so much.

Your broken wire *looks* like my earth wire - it's connected to that allen screw securing the hose bracket on the back of the manifold. Have you got that?

I've not got an earth there so I think your on the money. I'll check this afternoon and report back.

Thanks all.