Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Interior » Coupe carpet removal

Old 25-02-17, 07:24 AM   #21
steve briance
Newbie!

That's a pain if you have recovered all of the seams and it still leaks. Have a really good clean up and make sure that there are no stress cracks in the metal away from the seams you've resealed. I've seen pictures somewhere online posted by someone who found cracks in his scuttle on his s2.

Can you say for sure that the water you see inside is coming through that flange / joint? I only say this as during my adventures in coupe waterproofing, it was often the case that the water in an area had run or dribbled along from somewhere else. It's surprising how water can travel horizontally. Maybe get the area completely dry inside and out and get in position inside while someone else waters the area. You might see it creeping.

Last edited by steve briance; 25-02-17 at 08:03 AM.
steve briance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-17, 08:49 AM   #22
billy_bunter
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Following on from Steves post above. Do you always park the car in the same place? Perhaps water is coming from somewhere else. Water will always go to the lowest point.

Hope its the fusebox seal.

Last but not least good perserverance.
billy_bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-17, 10:38 AM   #23
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

The fuse box is sealed with the same butyl tape that the rear lights are done with, available from VW but costs a fair bit as you can only get it in long lengths.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-17, 08:41 PM   #24
Davids
4 ring whore!

Just an up date, tried to get the fuse box out but it was stuck fast, all it started to do was to start bend the edges, so I gave that up, and in the process bu&&ered up the bonnet cable grommet, anyone got a spare one ?

So I thought I would pu seal it from the inside, nope the drip still found a pin prick, so I have given up on this. I can only think it is coming from behind the windscreen or somewhere and finding its way down.

Going to refit it all once it get the new door window front and end seals, then keep a small rag in that area. Once I get some spare time I will get the screen changed and have a better look then.

I have moved the car about a but but it still leaks, that's why I think it is running down from somewhere rather than along and capaliary action.

Hate being beaten by a dam car but there is no logical place I can see or treat for a drip to come out from behind a poxy spot welded flange.

And to cap it all off did you see the cr@p performance Reading gave on TV, a chance to perform, phaaaaaa.

Cheers

David
Davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-17, 08:54 PM   #25
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

You would be surprised how much water a pin prick can let in
The seals that are missing on the door, are they the inner or outer ? inner's missing don't cause a leak but the outer's will, i bought all new inner's last year and still need to fit them i forgot to put them on when i fitted new door panels
sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-17, 09:09 PM   #26
Davids
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbin5t View Post
You would be surprised how much water a pin prick can let in
The seals that are missing on the door, are they the inner or outer ? inner's missing don't cause a leak but the outer's will, i bought all new inner's last year and still need to fit them i forgot to put them on when i fitted new door panels
Audi Heritage call them seals, they are the triangle type rubber finishers that fit on top of the door by the wondows, they are sort if sealing finishers.
I have eliminated these leaks from this area, and hopefully the new ones should cure it in these areas.
Old 25-02-17, 09:16 PM   #27
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Seal elements, did you get them all ? 4 inner and 4 outer, they are not cheap for the size of them are they David.
Old 25-02-17, 09:33 PM   #28
Davids
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Seal elements, did you get them all ? 4 inner and 4 outer, they are not cheap for the size of them are they David.
4 in and 4 out ? looking at the parts diagram it is 2 front and 2 back, 1 per door ?
Old 25-02-17, 09:50 PM   #29
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davids View Post
4 in and 4 out ? looking at the parts diagram it is 2 front and 2 back, 1 per door ?

Maybe we have crossed wires here lol, do you mean the ends that the window slides into when up ?
Inner's :-

895867691 01C
895867692 01C
895867693 01C
895867694 01C

Those are the part numbers and i got them from Audi Tradition David
My outer's are fine. The inner's fit into the door cards with 3 tabs and into the long seal with 1 tab.
Old 25-02-17, 10:08 PM   #30
Davids
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Maybe we have crossed wires here lol, do you mean the ends that the window slides into when up ?
Inner's :-

895867691 01C
895867692 01C
895867693 01C
895867694 01C

Those are the part numbers and i got them from Audi Tradition David
My outer's are fine. The inner's fit into the door cards with 3 tabs and into the long seal with 1 tab.
That's the ones, the rears are missing on mine and the front ones the rubber has broken up and perished. I was quoted approx. 310 each for the front and £25 ish for the rears each. Yes sorry Audi Tradition, not Heritage.

They look like single bits ? that's what is shown on the parts diagrams ?