Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Interior » B3 & B4 parts

Old 17-09-12, 09:43 PM   #11
msh
4 ring whore!

Description of fitting new type door cards to a car with old type door cards now can be read in the thread of my q.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-12, 07:47 PM   #12
shaun5
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Right i have been to the car tonight and offered up the B4 80 door trims to my B3 90 doors.
The results are as follows.

The rear trims seem to be a straight swap, everything lines up

The fronts would require some modifications to fit. It physically fits but there are screw holes missing on the B3 door frame part (the door handle mountings are different)
It would be simple to modify to get it to fit.
shaun5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-12, 07:56 PM   #13
msh
4 ring whore!

I guess you're talking about B4 new type cards? You can take a look on thread of my car as well, I guess you will regret that you don't have new type window frames.
Old 18-09-12, 08:12 PM   #14
shaun5
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
I guess you're talking about B4 new type cards? You can take a look on thread of my car as well, I guess you will regret that you don't have new type window frames.
Im just helping out to see if the trims would fit.

My B4 trims are from a 95 car and my B3 is a 1990 car.

I have got door frames from a 93 80 saloon so if they are needed they can be had
Old 18-09-12, 08:20 PM   #15
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

good news shaun - thanks for looking into that - I also check msh and his thread because there is pics on the spec differences between the two door subskins which kinda ties in with what you were saying.

I guess at this stage I know its doable, I just need to make the decision in my head as to how far away from a traditional B3 I move. Essentially I bought the car because its not a B4 and it was different - likewise the reason I haven't fitted 90 front lights and a rear panel, because I dont want a 90, I want an 80.

hmmm, decisions, decisions... but, its certainly very good new to hear it is doable!
1781cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-12, 08:21 PM   #16
msh
4 ring whore!

Ah, so, I thought that you want to fit them to your B3 Sorry for my mistake.
Old 18-09-12, 08:28 PM   #17
shaun5
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_whitehead View Post
good news shaun - thanks for looking into that - I also check msh and his thread because there is pics on the spec differences between the two door subskins which kinda ties in with what you were saying.

I guess at this stage I know its doable, I just need to make the decision in my head as to how far away from a traditional B3 I move. Essentially I bought the car because its not a B4 and it was different - likewise the reason I haven't fitted 90 front lights and a rear panel, because I dont want a 90, I want an 80.

hmmm, decisions, decisions... but, its certainly very good new to hear it is doable!
Like you have said, your car is an 80 not a 90 so if you had changed all those items you might as well have started with a 90 in the first place.

msh, no worries
Old 19-09-12, 05:23 AM   #18
msh
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_whitehead View Post

Well, that's question of taste - in my view new type door cards are something that B3 deserved, as all other models got this style door cards by 1988 [apart from UR, of course] Also, new type door cards can be equipped with wood or carbon trim. And what's even better - AFAIK there wasn't old type rear door cards with speakers - the original speakers found in some new type rear door cards [not all] aren't the best in the world, but neither they are worst. Ah, and cards themselves are of slightly higher quality, more sound deadening etc.

But my intention by showing you the mounting differences was to show you that if you're looking for door cards with leather, you can fit not only cards from 1992-1993 B4 [which is identical to your existing ones] but also 1994-1995.
Old 19-09-12, 06:05 AM   #19
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

oh I totally see your point and you are right about things like sound deadening, although the speakers arent an issue because I replaced everything ICE wise in mine with quality stuff.

I guess part of this process is seeing what cards I can find that I like and how they may look. Carbon is a nice touch, wood doesnt appeal to me in any way, but its food for thought. Essentially I am weighing up the options of sourcing B4 cards and an avant B4 rear to complemeny my ABY front seats, or selling the ABY seats and getting the whole B3 interior retrimed in a custom style setup.

Cost is obviously a huge factor! lol
1781cc is offline   Reply With Quote