Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » The Future of Motoring

Old 27-07-17, 08:16 PM   #11
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

As long as the rolling classic road tax scheme keeps going and folks DO start to buy electric then it'll leave more fossil fuel for us petrol heads!!

I'm not going to let it worry me.
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-17, 08:29 PM   #12
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Confronted with a future of zzzzzzzphtzzzzz oh f%ck its flat... Or f%ching hellfire what an awesome noise and spectical... I suspect the latter will be the best pension fund investment...
Old 27-07-17, 09:25 PM   #13
David Small
David Small - Mr 80k
Classic Audi Club Member

NHS need to start manning up the A & E departments there's gonna be a lot of pedestrian casualties because you don't hear the feckers coming ! Nearly got taken out in the the works carpark innocently puffing on my e pipe by a Mitsubishi hybrid a few weeks back
David Small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-17, 10:12 PM   #14
quattrodave
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

So all buses and lorries and trains and ships that use diesel will also have to switch doh ! 98% of the worlds trade is moved by diesel powered vehicles currently so our paltry country initiative will make no difference to the global problem and anyway we'll all be off the road by them when the young ens bring in the over 70's ban on driving (god only 10 years to go !) I kid you not I can see it happening.
quattrodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-17, 10:23 PM   #15
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrodave View Post
So all buses and lorries and trains and ships that use diesel will also have to switch doh ! 98% of the worlds trade is moved by diesel powered vehicles currently so our paltry country initiative will make no difference to the global problem and anyway we'll all be off the road by them when the young ens bring in the over 70's ban on driving (god only 10 years to go !) I kid you not I can see it happening.
Indeed...
Most of the UK critical infrastructure systems have UPS's (Uninterruptible Power Supplies) that, ironically, are driven by Diesel Power Trains of which very few have Euro 6 compatibility...
Old 27-07-17, 10:42 PM   #16
mackenzie50
Grown up member

Some good points there but I for one defo want to see the oldies off our roads- they're a scourge and an ever increasing scourge- old people (and cyclists) make my driving life Hell these days
mackenzie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-17, 10:48 PM   #17
quattrodave
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isimmo View Post
Indeed...
Most of the UK critical infrastructure systems have UPS's (Uninterruptible Power Supplies) that, ironically, are driven by Diesel Power Trains of which very few have Euro 6 compatibility...
I worked in IT for 37 years B4 I was made redundant in 2013 due to the IT systems going offshore to ATOS and yes our company installed a UPS in 1997 (Anton Pillar) with 2 x backup generators both diesel.
Old 27-07-17, 10:59 PM   #18
quattrodave
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenzie50 View Post
Some good points there but I for one defo want to see the oldies off our roads- they're a scourge and an ever increasing scourge- old people (and cyclists) make my driving life Hell these days
I agree my dad is 88 still driving, self certified, should not be on the road but if I take if off him he;ll die,he goes out once a week to collect pension/shop, 3 miles no accidents all his life, was a professional driver, no dints on car anywhere.

Me I'm 60 drive fast Audi's and fast motorbikes, I have no objection to being retested say every 5 years so long as its the same for everyone whatever age I think retaking a driving test and highway code test is a good idea for all drivers not just the old. Come to Bradford you'll soon see that the poblem is not old drivers but young people without experience and nutters driving at 60-70 everywhere in 20 - 30 zones, too many vehicles on the road being driven by inexperienced and incapable drivers not just old people.
Old 28-07-17, 12:28 AM   #19
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Fossil fuel will remain viable as a fuel for vehicles for as long as there is a profitable market. A profitable market requires sufficient customers to keep it viable. Once the cost goes up enough, it will be dropped.

When demand drops low enough, due technical progress or legislation, or variations on a theme, it will rapidly go the way of the dinosaur.
Old 28-07-17, 04:44 PM   #20
Jake Blight
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
Fossil fuel will remain viable as a fuel for vehicles for as long as there is a profitable market. A profitable market requires sufficient customers to keep it viable. Once the cost goes up enough, it will be dropped.

When demand drops low enough, due technical progress or legislation, or variations on a theme, it will rapidly go the way of the dinosaur.
Hopefully by then someone will have invented an explosive fuel similar to petrol that can be made out of everyday household liquid and we'll all live happily ever after.

Me? I'll be close to senile by the time all this comes into force and will be seen careering off a cliff top in my modified li-on powered electric buggy at 120mph..
Jake Blight is offline   Reply With Quote