Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Thoughts on run flats

Old 29-03-15, 04:25 PM   #1
Daveymaclad
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Thoughts on run flats

It's been an expensive weekend for me, just dropped close to a grand in two days, most of it on my cars. First up was some more work on my quattro but todays on my 530d was by far the most expensive.

Got a big puncture on one of my winter runflats so popped to asda tyre centre for a replacement. No joy, they saw I had runflats and insisted on only replacing with runflats, even if I changed both on the rear and because they're relatively so little demand they'd have to order in the tyres - two days. So off I tootled to Costco (Very cheap premium tyres!)

They were the same, absolutely, positively refused to fit ev en two on the rear and they also didn't stock runflats and gave a two day turnaround.

Seeing as the tyres I had on were winters I took the plunge and had all four replaced for michelin primacy 3's and kept the two remaining good tyres for next winter.

Given that so few stores seem to have runflats in stock and the massive cost increase for having runflats I really am struggling to see the benefit with having them? I've got a compressor and some tyreweld type stuff in the boot until I can source a full sized spare.

Seems to me the limitations of runflats greatly outweigh the benefits, what's other peoples thoughts?

Also, if anyone can explain to me why having runflats on one axles wheels and non runflats on the other is so dangerous and must not be done according to the tyre fitters I'd be grateful. Neither place gave a reason why they couldn't do it or why it was dangerous only that it was company policy and was dangerous - sounds like simple arse covering to me!
Old 29-03-15, 04:40 PM   #2
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

As far as I know, if the car had run-flats from new then the suspension is different to compensate for???? stiffer sidewalls presumably? So fitting a "normal" tyre will upset(will you notice it?) the handling.
Just the tyre place covering their arses' me thinks?
Just another "new car" inconvenience..........check leggy's hire car thread......she's lovin' it!
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-15, 04:49 PM   #3
Emjay
Man Fettler Extraodinaire
Classic Audi Club Member

There is probably some merit in not mixing and matching due to the inherent handling capabilities of the tyre. Not something I would choose to do.

I have run flats on my beemer. The car runs well on them, a bit noisy on certain road surfaces. Having been stranded many a time having to change a tyre or use one of those compressed liquid foam things which are nigh on useless, when I got a puncture a few weeks ago it was very convenient to still be able to run the car reasonable well to the nearest quick fit. It was only be virtue of the tyre pressure monitor warning that I even knew i had a puncture tbh.

As a company car driver, to me they are worth having. As a private owner I would question the value due to the cost. Horses for courses and all that
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-15, 04:54 PM   #4
Emjay
Man Fettler Extraodinaire
Classic Audi Club Member

And you can convert to normal tyres with no problem, it's just running a combination that's inherent with potential problems.
Emjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-15, 05:05 PM   #5
Daveymaclad
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I knew mine had gone as the rear end got a bit wobbly on the m27, at first I thought it was the wind (which is really bad down here today!) but the tyre pressure warning then came on and confirmed.

Have now changed to non runflats, Primacy 3's which costco had an offer on so I ended up paying equivalent of £107 a corner fully fitted once I get the coupons back!

Have noticed quite a difference already though, cabin noise is much lower and mpg on the stretch of motorway I travel on daily has increased massively on the new tyres.

Still can't see the potential problems though, but in the end I wasn't given a choice, they simply refused to change only 2 - seems scamworthy to me!
Old 29-03-15, 05:10 PM   #6
Sandro
Grown up member

The only problem keeping runflats on one axle and normal tyres on 2nd could be weight difference of tyres, but don't think it affects ABS, DSC or other systems. Otherwise shouldn't be a problem.
Ruflats are louder, harder and more expensive. Only + side is when You get puncture. And my own opinion is - runflats are usefull only for German autobanhs and not for rest of EU.
Sandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-15, 08:16 PM   #7
leggy

Don't know anything about 'runflats' Daveymaclad, but John's right about one thing, new cars and inconveniences do seem to go hand in hand, for me anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post
...Just another "new car" inconvenience..........check leggy's hire car thread......she's lovin' it!

Last edited by leggy; 29-03-15 at 08:22 PM.
leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-15, 08:43 PM   #8
Minty
Classic Audi Club Member

My 520d estate came with 4 winter runflats. I tore the sidewall on one soon after getting it & have had a pair of normal tyres on the front for the last 12 months - 30k miles & no problems from the mix.

My view of runflats is that the technology is awesome but the concept is ludicrous; they are offered as a substitute for a spare, but you can only drive a limited distance & speed after a puncture. If you're in the middle of nowhere & outside tyre place opening hours you're ****ed.

They're not worth the money & don't be conned into changing all four.
1986 GT 2.0 Tornado Red - long gone
2001 A6 2.4 V6 - exported to Ireland
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-15, 08:50 PM   #9
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I have never used runflats but i would say the same applies for the same reason why you must change shock absorbers as pairs.When ones goes on the front axle it would be dangerous to replace just one as handling will be seriously upset.Once the front axles is changed you will immediately notice the rear axle is now soft. Stands to reason.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote