Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Wheels & Tyres » Dare RS Alloys

Old 13-02-19, 02:58 PM   #1
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Dare RS Alloys

Has anyone fitted these to an ur?

I'm concerned that the front brakes will scrape the back of the spokes (IYKWIM)

The back end should be fine, but I hear the back of the Dare RS wheels are petty "flat", so may not fit.

I was thinking 16 inch 8J, ET25 Dare RS wheels, with 215/45/16 tyres-but its a non starter if they rub on the front calipers.

Also considering a higher offset with a spacer to lift the inside over the caliper. (ET35 and 10mm spacers...)
Any thoughts gratefully received!
thanks!
(I will return favours and post what I know when I read a q I know the answer to-this isnt all one way I promise!

Edit after removing front wheel and measuring...The front calipers need at least 16mm clearance from the hubs. If the back of the Dare RS alloys are 7mm offset, then 10mm spacer rings (and longer bolts) would make this work.
So I'll be speaking with Dare this week to see what the deal is-unless anyone has specs for those wheels?

Last edited by BackintheFold; 13-02-19 at 11:23 PM.
BackintheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-19, 10:01 AM   #2
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackintheFold View Post
Has anyone fitted these to an ur?

I'm concerned that the front brakes will scrape the back of the spokes (IYKWIM)

The back end should be fine, but I hear the back of the Dare RS wheels are petty "flat", so may not fit.

I was thinking 16 inch 8J, ET25 Dare RS wheels, with 215/45/16 tyres-but its a non starter if they rub on the front calipers.

Also considering a higher offset with a spacer to lift the inside over the caliper. (ET35 and 10mm spacers...)
Any thoughts gratefully received!
thanks!
(I will return favours and post what I know when I read a q I know the answer to-this isnt all one way I promise!

Edit after removing front wheel and measuring...The front calipers need at least 16mm clearance from the hubs. If the back of the Dare RS alloys are 7mm offset, then 10mm spacer rings (and longer bolts) would make this work.
So I'll be speaking with Dare this week to see what the deal is-unless anyone has specs for those wheels?
Not sure if it will be similar but I have Lenso BSX on my B4 coupe. The wheels are 16x7 ET25 with a 20mm spacer and they fit perfectly in line with the arch. I know they don't hit the calipers when the spacers are off so I wouldn't worry about that and you have plenty gap on the inside on these Audis so you can go wide. I have some 17" Calibre wheels to go on that are 8" on front and 9" on back ET25 no spacers. I would go for the Calibre or Lenso rather than Dare as they are better quality and don't have the centre cap bolt showing, But that's my personal opinion. Also the ET goes the other way when adding spacers so ET25 with 10mm will be ET15
Peacedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-19, 12:46 PM   #3
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

I called Dare yesterday, they are looking in to the correct fitment today and I'll call back later.

Re offset, I'm not an expert but diagrams in the internet suggest that if I add a spacer, the wheel moves "out", so to retain the same centre line of the wheel in reltaion to the car (and so the car's geometry remains the same) I need to increase the numerical value of the wheel's offset (and so move the wheel's centre line back to where it was. Adding the spacer is done to move the spokes of the wheel away from the brake calipers in my set-up, but this also moves the centre line of the wheel away from the car, and so to move the centre line back to where it should be, I need wheels with a higher offset.

This diagram shows what I mean-I think...

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=103590

However, if the offset is changed by the wheel manufacturer just by altering the thickness of the wheel hub that contacts the hub on the car, I think what i suggested wont make a difference-I'll add metal with a spacer, then take it away by using a wheel with a higher offset!!

I'll mention it to Dare later; they must deal with this question all the time.
BackintheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-19, 01:07 PM   #4
Peacedub
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackintheFold View Post
I called Dare yesterday, they are looking in to the correct fitment today and I'll call back later.

Re offset, I'm not an expert but diagrams in the internet suggest that if I add a spacer, the wheel moves "out", so to retain the same centre line of the wheel in reltaion to the car (and so the car's geometry remains the same) I need to increase the numerical value of the wheel's offset (and so move the wheel's centre line back to where it was. Adding the spacer is done to move the spokes of the wheel away from the brake calipers in my set-up, but this also moves the centre line of the wheel away from the car, and so to move the centre line back to where it should be, I need wheels with a higher offset.

This diagram shows what I mean-I think...

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=103590

However, if the offset is changed by the wheel manufacturer just by altering the thickness of the wheel hub that contacts the hub on the car, I think what i suggested wont make a difference-I'll add metal with a spacer, then take it away by using a wheel with a higher offset!!

I'll mention it to Dare later; they must deal with this question all the time.
Wheels are a complete pain in the arse. Use "will they fit" website. Its superb, I always use it. It will give you an idea of fitments and an idea of ET.
Peacedub is offline   Reply With Quote