Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Accidentally sold wifes car - replacement needed!

Old 24-10-13, 10:25 PM   #41
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

530 oil muncher.
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-13, 06:14 AM   #42
Daveymaclad
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

The model is less than 150!!
Old 25-10-13, 10:04 AM   #43
Iolaire
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

If it's any help Davey, I'm selling the wife's A3 1.8 Sport. It's a '98 but low mileage and dead smart. Absolutely no rust, nice Sport interior and all the toys.

Needs nothing done.

J
Iolaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-13, 10:45 AM   #44
Daveymaclad
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iolaire View Post
If it's any help Davey, I'm selling the wife's A3 1.8 Sport. It's a '98 but low mileage and dead smart. Absolutely no rust, nice Sport interior and all the toys.

Needs nothing done.

J
Thanks for the offer J. My wife wants a diesel that'll do mid 50's on a run so she can go see her friends in Plymouth relatively cheaply. Have found the car we'll likely go for it's just down to which one now as I've been given some good offers by a few that are selling the same model.
Old 25-10-13, 06:35 PM   #45
86audicoupe
Classic Audi Pervert!
Classic Audi Club Member

Can't go wrong with a Mk4 Golf TDI! My girlfriend has recently bought one and it's fantastic. It's got the 110hp engine which is supposedly the most reliable (being a non-PD earlier model) and achieves 55mpg easily. It's the Sport model and has all the optional extras and sports suspension. Ticks a lot of boxes - great spec, fun to drive, economical and safe. She loves it!
86audicoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-13, 11:01 AM   #46
Iolaire
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveymaclad View Post
Thanks for the offer J. My wife wants a diesel that'll do mid 50's on a run so she can go see her friends in Plymouth relatively cheaply. Have found the car we'll likely go for it's just down to which one now as I've been given some good offers by a few that are selling the same model.
No problem Davey. Apart from anything else, I've just noticed you're about 500 miles from me anyway!!

Let me give you a wee warning though from my workshop experience in here about modern diesels. I don't know how many I have had through here bought by people whose main motif for doing so is the impression that they are cheap to run. In many cases this is soooo wrong.

For a start diesel fuel is substantially more expensive at the pumps; almost nobody factors that in to their calculations. If you go for anything made after 2000, you will almost certainly be buying something with common rail injection. If it goes wrong on you it can empty your bank account: and don't get the idea that if buy something as new as possible with a low mileage that it will be ok. Some of the latest models are the worst.

What I am saying is that just one repair could financially negate any savings you have made on fuel consumption. To give you a classic example, On the Sprinters, Mercedes changed from old fashioned mechanical injectors that would easily achieve 200K without turning a hair to common rail around 1999. The difference in economy was almost negligible. However I replaced injectors on them with only 30K on the clock; they were dropping like flies. The early injectors were £28 each exchange from Bosch. The common rail injectors were a massive £380 each; no exchange mainly because they were not Bosch, but Delphi!

In other words an injector refurb would cost you in excess of 1500 quid! Then there's the DPF fiasco, anything from 600 to 1200 quid for a replacement. Also with most of these diesels engine failure will write the car off. It is simply far too costly to strip and rebuild these engines at today's prices.

Diesels are OK when the company provides you with a brand new car and they take care of the expenses. Other than that I'm afraid in my book, you can keep 'em.

Be very careful what you buy and good luck.

J
Iolaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-13, 12:23 PM   #47
terrywindy1
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Don't know what you do to diesels but have had 11 A2 Tdi's
The current one I bought at 36k ,has now done 82k have no problems apart form
discs pad and cambelt .Have best on MPG of 78.6 £30 a year tax
and £140 to insure
Have also owned A4 Tdi Cabriolet and A3Tdi so that Audi Diesel since 2004 with not
ONE problem
The Wife did have a new Golf 1.9Tdi in 05 and the DMF went at 61k
But replaced under warranty
terrywindy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-13, 10:06 PM   #48
Daveymaclad
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks to all the replies and offers.

To put you all out of your misery I've just got home after purchasing a 2005 Alfa 147 1.9 JTD, full Alfa service history, Pirelli P6000's all round (all high tread). Infact the exact car is this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1711379742...84.m1423.l2649

Don't worry I managed to get £300 off that price and it had 80 miles worth of diesel in it!

On the 230 mile drive home it averaged 54.8mpg, it was up into the 55's but then I ran into storm force winds and driving rain at Basingstoke!

Wife is estatic so far and not just because she got me out the house for a full day!
Old 26-10-13, 11:20 PM   #49
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveymaclad View Post
Thanks to all the replies and offers.

To put you all out of your misery I've just got home after purchasing a 2005 Alfa 147 1.9 JTD, full Alfa service history, Pirelli P6000's all round (all high tread). Infact the exact car is this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1711379742...84.m1423.l2649

Don't worry I managed to get £300 off that price and it had 80 miles worth of diesel in it!

On the 230 mile drive home it averaged 54.8mpg, it was up into the 55's but then I ran into storm force winds and driving rain at Basingstoke!

Wife is estatic so far and not just because she got me out the house for a full day!
very nice!
My wife has wanted one of these for a while so i bought her a Golf instead!
Still never scratched my Alfa itch....maybe one day!
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-13, 11:21 PM   #50
john johnson
Moderator of sausages
Classic Audi Club Member

Who was the cock that mentioned an Alfa
And if you are reading this as James may would say ' you're a cock '
john johnson is offline   Reply With Quote