Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Reality Check

Old 10-05-18, 06:19 PM   #1
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Reality Check

Now before we start.........my Wife's already mentioned that I can't save all of them!

I was given a 1990 Coupe 2.3E (NG engine) in Alpine white, grey interior, mileage north of 200K

My intention was to turn it around fairly quickly and save it from the scrappie. There's history with the car going back to 1997 but it's had very little maintenance since 2013 from what I can see.

Plus points: Its original, nice 15" aero's, standard Coupe spec otherwise, engine's very quiet, smooth, good oil pressure, exhaust is fairly new, the majority of the panels are very straight and clean, under the arches is shiney and white when cleaned also. Due to it being a Cornish car for most of it's life its very clean underneath, much more so than my 90 when I inherited that. It's a handsome beast.

It needs shocks, top mounts, track rod ends, 2 tyres, rear discs/pads, a cambelt and a full service (and I mean a full service, every filter, most of the fluids, brake fluid change etc etc). I can do all of that for £450 all in.

Cosmetics...........

1. It needs all of the exterior side trims (the painted ones) redone.
2. It needs the front bumper and wing mirrors painted
3. The wheels need a coat of paint (but are corrosion free
4. It need a roof lining and the door cards sorted (both are already off, the roof lining looks a lot easier than my 90 to do)

but the biggie is that the windscreen needs to come out to tackle surface corrosion all along the top of the aperture (which if left for any longer won't be just surface) and the roof will need painted after that, the windscreen itself is milky at the bottom so I think there's water penetration there. Thats £400-£500 in itself.

Cosmetics, to turn it into something desirable will work out circa £1k.

Being realistic (harshly so please) what would it be worth if done to this level?

I can't justify a financial hit to SWMBO after spending best part of £4K on my 90.

Only other obvious alternative at the moment is the scrappy (after pulling off anything useful or nice for my 90).

Thoughts and suggestions welcome!

Last edited by Duffy3074; 10-05-18 at 07:24 PM.
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-18, 06:21 PM   #2
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

The two tone grey bumper is down to me using a hot air gun on it, first time I've ever got that to work

Old 10-05-18, 06:42 PM   #3
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

First though bring it to me

sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-18, 08:04 PM   #4
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Why not do a budget build good enough to get it MOT'd, give it a tickle with some cure-rust type stuff and a rattle can.......and move it on. Basically get it fit for the road and give it a bit of TLC ?

John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-18, 08:13 PM   #5
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

That was the basic game plan originally John but the rust along the windscreen has gone over the top and onto the flat part (barely admittedly)
I was going just to touch it in but the area is too big/too obvious for me to put it out ‘as is’ and I think hiding it effectively is beyond me

I think also that if it’s treated now, no big deal but if it’s left to rust, being realistic, it’ll probably get binned in the near future.

It’ll just be another old/rusty car
Old 10-05-18, 08:26 PM   #6
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy3074 View Post
It's a handsome beast......
I can't justify a financial hit to SWMBO after spending best part of £4K on my 90.
You could do the car for her?!......then you'd be matching!

If you service/MOT it for 450 and get it looking pretty for another 1000, I think you'll break even when you sell.......even if you lose a few hundred, you'll still of saved one and that counts!
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-18, 08:29 PM   #7
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

The problem you'll have is that once the screen is out, the rust will be much worse than what you can see.

I had that exact problem on a certain Coupe.

It's got potential to be a bigger money pit than the 90 and it will never be worth what you put in to it

I'd suggest getting it back on the road through an MOT for minimum outlay and move it on
Old 10-05-18, 08:31 PM   #8
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

John has a point there Duffy.

Old 10-05-18, 08:51 PM   #9
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

If it was lower mileage I wouldnt be asking I’d be doing! If I also hadn’t just finished my 90 I’d be in a better place to make a decision.

I’m dubious when I see Mark’s 2.6 B4 Coupe sitting for sale at £2.1k that’d it’d be worth much at all.

I just don’t want to throw more money away.
Old 10-05-18, 08:57 PM   #10
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy3074 View Post
If it was lower mileage I wouldnt be asking I’d be doing! If I also hadn’t just finished my 90 I’d be in a better place to make a decision.

I’m dubious when I see Mark’s 2.6 B4 Coupe sitting for sale at £2.1k that’d it’d be worth much at all.

I just don’t want to throw more money away.

Yep the mileage will be a problem with a sale, £250 will buy a coupe with less miles, how do i know ? I got one and without the roof problem too.