Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments » Audi Ur quattro n/s/f wing repair

Old 18-11-17, 11:24 PM   #1
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Audi Ur quattro n/s/f wing repair

This weeks project is to cut out the rust on the n/s/f wing just above the front bumper, the car is booked in on the 25th of the month at the local spray shop so need to get finger out,
put the car up on the hoist the other night and removed the bumper, lights and grill, went down tonight to start and had a lump in my throat marking out the rust patch to be removed, yes I know it is for the best, but cutting in to the poor old girl got to me, with the rust patch removed it is easy to see why there was rust, a large patch of under seal not stuck to the wing but there just to hold water.

First fit up with new mild steel plate looks Ok but dose need a little tweak hear and there, but out of time tonight.

I will post progress as and when it happens.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 07:32 AM   #2
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

No doubt another fine repair.

Just the N/S yes?
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 08:00 AM   #3
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Yes John, it is a Ur quattro thing, o/s always seems to be Ok
Old 19-11-17, 08:10 AM   #4
Tun
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I have a similar repair to do on my n/s wing too! It’s about the size of my finger nail but higher up the wing than yours. I’m thinking that I’ll remove the wing to do it though as it is on top or ear/ splash guard that comes off the inner wing.
Old 19-11-17, 10:27 AM   #5
vagdream
Grown up member

Colin,
Great piece of work although as Tun has said I also only had to do the O/S wing (probably because there had been a new wing fitted on the N/S).
Do I spot that you are using a single post lift and how convenient/usable do you find it? I am considering various options for lifting in my new garage.
G
vagdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 08:56 PM   #6
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagdream View Post
Colin,
Great piece of work although as Tun has said I also only had to do the O/S wing (probably because there had been a new wing fitted on the N/S).
Do I spot that you are using a single post lift and how convenient/usable do you find it? I am considering various options for lifting in my new garage.
G
Well spotted vagdream, yes it is a single post lift, I have limited height in my garage (2.7m) and at that time of purchase some years ago the shortest 2 post lift was 2.74m and the single post lift was 2.6m, so was kind of forced into it, yes it has its problems, the big base foot, the large bar below the car that restricts access to exhaust systems, yes it moves about a bit with a car on it, but its not fixed down it moves about something like a pallet truck, only one post and complete access to one side of the car, the single post has not stopped me working on cars or limited my abilities, my only real limitation is the lift height and that has always been there, I can get my head in below any wheel arch and if you are below the car you just need a seat with wheels. The two acro props on the other side from the single post are there for safety, if you have a project car on the lift for a few month it makes sense to me to have them there.

Old 19-11-17, 09:18 PM   #7
vagdream
Grown up member

Colin, many thanks for that insight into your experiences with your lift. I am quite lucky in that I will be able to exercise many options in my new garage but the flexibility offered by the lift in this link ( http://www.automotechservices.co.uk/...-vehicle-lift/ ) appealed to me. It is only the potential issue with instability when lifting vehicles with strange weight distributions (eg missing rear drive/suspension with engine/g'box still installed) that concerns me now.
vagdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 11:14 PM   #8
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Yes been there done that, I did strip and rebuild my UR quattro on this lift, I had every thing striped off the car to replace fuel and brake lines and the first thing I put back in was the engine and gear box, and was very happy with it but when I was in the boot one day refitting I think the fuel tank and when wrestling it back on to its mounts the rear of the car lifted with very little effort, so I had a quick look round and put 3 or 4 concrete block in the boot, the lift didn't move it was the car that was starting to tip, but the uniqueness of the Ur quattro engine and gearbox layout did not help to the balance problem.
Old 20-11-17, 09:28 AM   #9
AdrianH
Grown up member

Hmmmm... would you recommend one of these over the smallish 'scissor-lift' type lifts? Once the TR is out of the garage in the spring I plan to lift the Quattro, drop the suspension for refurb, and replace all the brake and fuel lines. I have all the tools except the means to elevate the car.
AdrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 12:35 PM   #10
urquattr085
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Aitchison View Post
cutting in to the poor old girl got to me
Certainly a deep breath moment. All credit to you for tackling this youself

I have similar issues on THE O/S/R arch, will probably chuck it at a local (known to be reliable) body shop though.

Look forward to updates.

2010 A3 1.4 tfsi Sport - Sold but still in the family
1984 80 Quattro - Sold many moons ago
1981 Coupe GT - Sold to buy above
urquattr085 is offline   Reply With Quote