Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » Marketing Spam. MoT.

Old 06-04-17, 07:17 PM   #1
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Marketing Spam. MoT.

Good news!
To add to the ever increasing amount of spam that this country seems to accept; government agencies may now also be complicit, it seems.

Today, I received an MOT reminder, with full on blurb, for one of my vehicles. A vehicle that, in my time has only ever been MOT'd at a small independent garage locally, or another in the very far north.
But this spam is coming from a branch that I've never been to, of a big national tyre chain that I may have bought tyres from last century.

So. A quick recap.
Under our government bureaucracy, we have the data protection act that often requires a fee to be paid to find out if something is recorded about you that may be incorrect. It is for your protection...

Meanwhile...

TPS is ineffective (or at least barely able to keep its head above water) at resolving the huge amount of telephone spam/nuisance/abusive marketing shit because your data has been passed on by various feckers...

And...

We can expect more of the same shite from, or in connection with, other government agencies...

Tell me this isn't completely screwed up. Try to do so without smiling
Old 07-04-17, 12:40 AM   #2
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

We've been getting 'boiler replacement' calls for about three years now because we get child benefit. (I have spoken to them, ask to be removed from the list and they hang up) We have a boiler already, three years old, condensing/expensive/outdoor oil burner job. How do they know... Either register of births or an in to the inland revenue/whoever pays child benefit? WFT. A new phone number (or no phone number) and new email address will happen one day, then you can just use the stuff that comes through the letter box to light the fire but every second message on the answering machine is their robot woman. The thing is this telephone and electronic mail version of a mail shot, doesn't work. You're only going to sell a boiler to someone who doesn't already have one surely?! And if someone needed one they'd go looking for a supplier? Not the other way around?? Very annoying but the robot woman won't give me a straight answer and the robot humans that I talk to don't know what to do when you tell them that you already have a boiler, I have no use for a second boiler and I'm not going to scrap a three year old boiler just so that we can have a day without heat while they fit a new one. They'd phone back the next day if they did fit one.
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 05:49 AM   #3
Gmac
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I've also had the MoT letter from the guys that 'you can't get better than'. It always amazes me the amount of info that gets passed around. Certainly never Ben near the place for a previous test. What a waste of paper!
Gmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 12:02 PM   #4
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missfire View Post
We've been getting 'boiler replacement' calls for about three years now because we get child benefit. (I have spoken to them, ask to be removed from the list and they hang up) We have a boiler already, three years old, condensing/expensive/outdoor oil burner job. How do they know... Either register of births or an in to the inland revenue/whoever pays child benefit? WFT. A new phone number (or no phone number) and new email address will happen one day, then you can just use the stuff that comes through the letter box to light the fire but every second message on the answering machine is their robot woman. The thing is this telephone and electronic mail version of a mail shot, doesn't work. You're only going to sell a boiler to someone who doesn't already have one surely?! And if someone needed one they'd go looking for a supplier? Not the other way around?? Very annoying but the robot woman won't give me a straight answer and the robot humans that I talk to don't know what to do when you tell them that you already have a boiler, I have no use for a second boiler and I'm not going to scrap a three year old boiler just so that we can have a day without heat while they fit a new one. They'd phone back the next day if they did fit one.
There's nothing like an old boiler to give you grief

The female variety that is
sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-17, 09:38 PM   #5
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Think twice about submitting your tax return on-line too, if you don't already..
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote