Classic Audi Community General Chat » What to do with my 80 Quattro

Old 06-11-12, 07:50 PM   #61
BryFlyinBy
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonks4x4 View Post
The engine loom, the pedal loom and where the engine loom plugs in you want about 6 to 12 inches of wire on the other side of each plug.
Thank you mate

Sorry for the thread hijack Tomme.
BryFlyinBy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 08:18 PM   #62
Jenks
Grown up member

Not sure which is best between cable and wire tbh but I had read a rumour that on the 150bhp ones its the difference between big valve and smaller valve heads. I can't say what engine codes that relates to though. I only chose to use the AJL simply because I already had the A4 and the rest of the car was knackered.
Jenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 08:36 PM   #63
BryFlyinBy
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
The engine loom, the pedal loom and where the engine loom plugs in you want about 6 to 12 inches of wire on the other side of each plug.
The block of connectors the engine loom feeds into, next to the ecu - is there any way to tell which block connector is which in the Haynes bible ???
BryFlyinBy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 09:19 PM   #64
T0MME
Grown up member

Send a message via MSN to T0MME

I dont think for one minute a 1.8t is going to be easy, otherwise i would of done it 1st time round,
but after the last 3 years of the NA engine messing about, im giving up on that, using 25year old parts to improve a 25year car isnt really the right way.. amongst other things

I guess chooseing the right doner car is 1st thing, so many differant types and codes etc, i wouldnt know where to start for the better

im not a huge fan of electrics and hopefully the engine bay wont be to clutterd,

after all i have No.. ABS, Air con, Power steering..

The trouble is i can do the mechanical bits, its what ive gotta wire and how and what i have to chip and un-immobilise etc.. plus this fly by wire... that worrys me

I'd rather not change the pedal box?

hmm... and all the other things i havnt thought of...
engine mounts im good at though
T0MME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 09:46 PM   #65
Insuranceman
Newbie!

Send a message via Skype™ to Insuranceman

Hi, perhaps I can suggest something else: why not look for a 1.8 G60 engine? Electronics are easier, engine mounts should fit, and the G-charger could be swapped for a Mercedes compressor. You would be able to keep things way simpler, and with a proper intercooler could achieve a very durable setup. I think that would be a more cost effective solution, the money you save could be used towards installing powersteering, and proper finetuning of the setup. Uprating the brakes should not be forgotten with any modification, though.
Insuranceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 10:00 PM   #66
T0MME
Grown up member

Trouble is with a g60, id need to loom to, and finding an engine with a loom is a bit harder,
I wouldnt mind a supercharger,
but its cheaper to buy a doner passat/a6 the corrado g60

At the malvern show this year there was a mk.1 golf with supercharger and emerald ecu,
very nice but very expensive..

1.8t has got to be best all round... trouble is i dont know where to start or how.. i dont want the car off the road for a year half stripped sat next to a passat half stripped lol..

Good shout thou insuranceman, it was consider'd
Old 06-11-12, 10:09 PM   #67
1781cc
Classic Audi Club Member

how about some strengthening work on your existing internals and a nitrous kit?

on the jap scene nitrous proved to be very reliable when done properly and running safe jets... I know a guy who wanted a supra twin turbo, had a N/A one, put a nitrous kit on it and went 3 years with no issues.

He crashed it in the end.
1781cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 10:16 PM   #68
T0MME
Grown up member

To be honest if i stuck with my existing set up, id have to get an ecu for it, plus more rolling road time, and i doubt id gain much more then the 135bhp ive got now..
2.0 16v no cat k-jet fueling ... to be honest we were hoping to be at 160bhp by now,
The engine is heathly blowing 200psi on compression tests on all 4 cyl's

I love the ACE, ive driven standard ACE coupes and they lift off well, mines flat and wont advance past 5,000rpm,
ive spent the last 3 years trying to get this thing right, and im fed up of throwing money away on the car..

Got a baby on the way in Jan, so want to get it right now or get shot.
Old 06-11-12, 10:57 PM   #69
Acidburn
The original sin
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
He's got the loom mostly thinned down now.

The engine looms in the car already.
Pedal loom is all seperate from the rest of the loom so that can be plugged into the pedal and then the engine loom with the couple of odd wires connected to the relevant places.

The dash loom is the main one and the 4/5 plugs that normally sit inside the ecu box. Going thru the haynes manual yesterday and today the majority of the wires match up but there is around 10 wires on various plugs that simply do not match up with everything, if they are for optional extras etc i'm not sure but hopefully be able to sort them out soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenks View Post
Not sure which is best between cable and wire tbh but I had read a rumour that on the 150bhp ones its the difference between big valve and smaller valve heads. I can't say what engine codes that relates to though. I only chose to use the AJL simply because I already had the A4 and the rest of the car was knackered.
The 1.8 20v n/a have the best ports/valves from what i've heard from jp/will, and the only downside I know of with the drive by wire is if you try do left foot braking it just kills the power/boost.
Old 06-11-12, 11:00 PM   #70
sam
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

in my opinion a4/a6/passat with AEB engine is the easiest. i did mine on a very small budget, changed the turbo before ever having it running for a t28 and just plodded on, very little in the way of issues to be honest and 274bhp and 310ft lb without even getting it remapped.
i do intend on doing another 80/90 1.8t in the future and i know its easily doable for less than 500. its when you have to pay someone else to do things when it starts costing you..

i hate wiring too and managed with the help of google and autodata wiring diagrams, i just wired mine in as if it was an aftermarket ecu, then ran the water temp/rpm/diagnostic etc to where they needed to go. and if you dont know what goes where, just ask on here. plenty of helpful folk

just buy the donor car and dive in
sam is offline   Reply With Quote