Classic Audi » Community » General Chat » The future of Classic Audi, the forum

View Poll Results: Is there a future for Classic Audi as a forum?
Yes. Whether Facebook exists or not. 52 76.47%
Yes. Facebook is great for the chatter, but the serious stuff is on the forum. 25 36.76%
No. Facebook more than does what’s needed. 0 0%
Ambivalent, but I occasionally come here for more detail. 0 0%
Don’t really care. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-20, 11:19 AM   #11
Mellis46
Aero Advocate
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwallownAmazon View Post
Don't do FB, never have and never will. Similarly Twitter & IG. Forces for evil in my Luddite view.
Couldn’t have put it any better
Mellis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-20, 12:11 PM   #12
Tun
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I love this forum but it does become challenging to post, just when you think you have mastered the art of uploading photographs the likes of photobucket mess things up and you have to start again.
I am on Facebook but I never post on the classic audi page because, if I'm being honest, I don't like it. It is , however, a doddle to upload pictures
Old 08-11-20, 01:27 PM   #13
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post

The best analogy I have is it’s more like an old magazine in a dentist’s waiting room. You pick up the magazine, have a read, get interrupted for your turn in the chair, and unless you take the magazine with you, there’s a good chance you’ll lose touch with the article that your were reading.
This.
And i once spent a fair while replying to somehting in great detail, so others (and myself!) could use that as a reference in the future...and i have ZERO chance of finding that again!
Here, it is simple. My posts are (I hope) useful to some people, even when I try something and it fails, it is useful info to stop others wasting their time!

Keep the forum-my only grumble? Adding photos. I don't do photobukcet or anything like that, but I would ike to post pics here occasionally-even if reduced in pixels.
Old 08-11-20, 02:01 PM   #14
vagdream
Grown up member

I am no fan of the 'social media' platforms, principally because they seem to have no order or structure (compared to forums) which therefore means they are difficult if not impossible to search or use as a static point of reference. I suspect however that they are much cheaper to establish and operate!
vagdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-20, 03:07 PM   #15
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Photos hosting is an issue, and one which can ONLY be resolved by money. If you don't pay for hosting photos, then something must. Usually advertising. but we'll come back to that, hopefully.

One of the primary benefits of a forum such as CA, is the library of useful info and dialogue on a subject. With input from far flung remote places. Facebook and the like can't do that in the same way. It's very nature is more random. It's like having a conversation with someone with an attention deficit issue.

Half the opinion I read on FB tends towards half heard regurgitated gossip. Often, where the postee doesn't understand the context of the original question, the question itself or the answer.
Old 08-11-20, 04:20 PM   #16
Audiman1
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Exactly why it’s important

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
Photos hosting is an issue, and one which can ONLY be resolved by money. If you don't pay for hosting photos, then something must. Usually advertising. but we'll come back to that, hopefully.

One of the primary benefits of a forum such as CA, is the library of useful info and dialogue on a subject. With input from far flung remote places. Facebook and the like can't do that in the same way. It's very nature is more random. It's like having a conversation with someone with an attention deficit issue.

Half the opinion I read on FB tends towards half heard regurgitated gossip. Often, where the postee doesn't understand the context of the original question, the question itself or the answer.
I don’t post a lot, but I try to check in most days, and if I ask a question I get a sensible answer

1999 Mercedes SL320 - we all make mistakes.....

Sold
2014 SQ5 sepang blue
07 3.0Tdi A4 Avant Black Edition Mauritius Blue - longest I have EVER owned a car
1996 Mk3 Golf Anniversary black magic pearl
01 Hi-Lux Pick Up - worth it's weight in gold! - cashed in before it started costing a fortune - replaced with a trailer for the tip!!!
Audiman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-20, 04:40 PM   #17
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

With the rise if social media platforms over recent years I believe it was all too easy for some to look at the likes of FB and assume it best to surrender to that format because it apparently represents the future. Consequently, many forums like CA were probably given up on prematurely, so we must persevere with CA.

Yes, I too avoid social media. Apart from their dubious handling of personal data, I find it is usually just a way for people with little of interest to say to share it with the world.

I find the format of CA easy to use and follow. I do wish that I could post photos without using a photo host site as I don't wish to sign up to anything other site unnecessarily. Maybe CA could automatically delete photos after 30 days if data storage is an issue?

I hope CA thrives as it is a useful resource. Audi corporate and dealers aren't really interested in supporting the likes of us. With the rise of the electric car it is only a matter of time before the necessary expertise for our cars becomes scarce. I suspect the average age of our members is somewhere in the late forties, so hopefully the forum will help support any youngsters interested in cars like ours...
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-20, 05:17 PM   #18
urquattr085
Classic Audi Club Member

As others have said, a wealth of knowledge on here that I have failed to find elsewhere. I couldn't have done some of the work I've achieved on my car without folk on this platform.

I also check in daily.

While I don't often respond to others posts, unless I feel I can contribute something constructive, I do read & enjoy a lot of what people put on here.

I am on FB but don't post anything - it's impossible to find something again once you've seen it but my main gripe is that some random will just post a pic of their car on someone's thread about whatever, as if to say "look - I've got the same car".

I feel I kind of know a good few people on here that I've never met, that speaks volumes to me. I sincerely hope this forum continues for many years to come.

AndyA - hope your leg gets better soon

2010 A3 1.4 tfsi Sport - Sold but still in the family
1984 80 Quattro - Sold many moons ago
1981 Coupe GT - Sold to buy above
urquattr085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-20, 05:46 PM   #19
npv
Grown up member

Default yes keep forum

i spend alot off my time on facebook propably too much instagram also,but i would hate too see the forum shut down. the forum is so well spread out in diffrent categories u cant do that on facebook also a good read on sunday on peoples projects,,seen our own classic car club forum close down this year due too fb and its not good,,so much info on here you,d never get it back ,and very helpful people when yer stuck,
npv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-20, 12:46 PM   #20
Ben
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

I'd like to hear what Coxy has to say about it, as it's him who pays the bills. Can someone give him a prod as his last visit here was 13-04-20.