Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Reviving my Audi thats stood for 8 years?

Old 13-04-08, 11:07 AM   #1
61 stu
Grown up member

Default Reviving my Audi thats stood for 8 years?

So the time has come to finally get my 80 GT up and running again for my daily as the missus will be having my new Euro box to run around in when the baby's born in a couple of weeks.

Its a 1.8i engine, hasn't really run or been turned over for about 4-5 years , its only done about 45k from new and apart from needing a respray it looks pretty sound if in need of a bleedin good service.

So what should i do before using it as my daily?

I was going to change the oil, filter, plugs, belt, battery, check the water, then turn it over a few times before firing it up. Then all i was going to do was replace the pads, check all the hosing and brake lines and then take it for an MOT.

Is there any thing else i should be looking to do?

Once i've got a years ticket on it then i can start modding it

As it stands

Cheers

Stu
61 stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-08, 06:29 PM   #2
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

As a precaution I'd change the fuel filters and drain the tank, refilling with something fresh, then do as you've suggested... I've recently been in very close contact with a Ur quattro that's had fuel stood for 12 yrs and it's desperate (basically, stagnant glue)... Even after a couple of years I'd not trust it... And you really don't want anything nasty up into the fuel metering head...

PS - that looks like a smashing car there... Go for it...
Old 13-04-08, 07:07 PM   #3
Octanejunkie
Grown up member

When you are changing the plugs, prior to fitting the new ones squirt some engine oil into the bores via the plug holes. preferably leave it over night to soak in, then turn engine over with coil HT lead disconnected. This will hopefully elimante any possible ring/bore damage due to being sat inactive
Check all your hoses for perishing, especially fuel lines (including those underneath the car). Check the radiator hasn't dissolved too!
Check all rubber parts in the induction system for perishing as you don't want to suck in bits of rubber or old air filter when you fire her up.
It would be prudent to change the flexible brakelines on the calipers as they can swell internally or perish. Give all parts of the braking system a thourough once over. Its the most failure prone area on the car and suffers worse than any other in long periods of inactivity.
If clutch won't disengage or is siezed, wedge the peddle down with something and leave for a few hours/overnight and that normally frees it off.
Good luck!!!
Octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-08, 11:49 PM   #4
TheTwelveQuidKid
Grown up member

Send a message via AIM to TheTwelveQuidKid

Cambelt !

If it's been stood for that many years, it will need changing. They perish regardless of use or mileage. I know someone who parked a Rover 213 up for 6 months, and the belt went when he started using it again. I was the poor sod who had to tow it home for him. The funniest bit was when he put a replacement head on it. He called me over to check if the cambelt was installed properly, and he had the cam 180 degrees out. Luckily we managed to turn it round to the right position without having to take the head off again.

On a 4 cylinder engine, it would be a false economy not to change the belt, because it's really easy. Spare some sympathy for me when I have to change mine on the 1.9, 5 pot, those crankshaft pulley bolts are tighter than a very tight thing. Much easier on the 4 cyl.
TheTwelveQuidKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-08, 05:10 AM   #5
61 stu
Grown up member

cheers for the advice, hopefully it'll be trailered back to mine from my mums house this week (man will she be glad to see the back of it ). Then i can set to work and start a thread on it.
Old 14-04-08, 09:49 AM   #6
Octanejunkie
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTwelveQuidKid View Post
Cambelt !

If it's been stood for that many years, it will need changing. They perish regardless of use or mileage. I know someone who parked a Rover 213 up for 6 months, and the belt went when he started using it again. I was the poor sod who had to tow it home for him. The funniest bit was when he put a replacement head on it. He called me over to check if the cambelt was installed properly, and he had the cam 180 degrees out. Luckily we managed to turn it round to the right position without having to take the head off again.

On a 4 cylinder engine, it would be a false economy not to change the belt, because it's really easy. Spare some sympathy for me when I have to change mine on the 1.9, 5 pot, those crankshaft pulley bolts are tighter than a very tight thing. Much easier on the 4 cyl.

Yes, of course! CAMBELT! I forgot that one (twat)
Octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-08, 12:05 PM   #7
TheTwelveQuidKid
Grown up member

Send a message via AIM to TheTwelveQuidKid

I fixed a MK2 Golf with a broken cambelt once. It turned up at a mate's yard on an AA truck which had brought it all the way down here from Liverpool. It had broken down in Ireland, and the owner was a tight git who knew if anyone could fix it for nothing or a low price, it was me. So one afternoon when work was quiet, I went and got a new cambelt, timed it up and put it on. Amazingly it ran, although it rattled quite a lot and misfired. I took the belt off again, and removed the camshaft. I could see one hydraulic tappet had collapsed, so I replaced it with a spare out of an Audi from the scrap yard (didn't want to buy new in case it had bent valves as well). Once put back together, it worked fine.
The owner came round when he got back from Ireland, and I wound him up about how his engine was fcuked. then I gave him the key and said, "only joking, it's ok".
I think he had a lucky escape with that.

Some people wait until their cars are literally falling apart before they do anything about it. We had another customer also with a MK2 Golf, who came in and asked us to replace the rear shocks. When I took the old ones off, one side actually had rusty water in and had absolutely no damping effect.
TheTwelveQuidKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-08, 05:13 AM   #8
61 stu
Grown up member

Its all set to be picked up Thursday morning this week and trailered to mine, then me and my mate can see about reviving the old girl. I'll pull my finger out and get a thread started once i've made some progress