Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » how much 2 cut off my panhard rod on 40mm?

Old 16-05-13, 07:04 PM   #1
timmyB4
Grown up member

Default how much 2 cut off my panhard rod on 40mm?

hi people , i noticed the previous owner , like so so many , had put on lowering springs ( 40 brand unknown ) . As most of you will know , if you lower pretty much any car with a pan hard rod , it will shunt the rear axle between 5 an 12 mm on the passenger when an audi or any other car with a PHR is lowered . so my question for you guys , is can any of you remember or know how many mm to cut off before re-welding ?

i think the health and safety executive ought to close halfords down , selling 50mm spacers , wheels without spiggott rings , and lowering springs by then 10,000 and not telling customer that the springs they just fitted to make their car handle better , will actually make it crab down the rd like a cut and shut , but because the springs are stiffer , not many notice . for instance my car coming up to a roundabout ( duel carriageway ) at 50mph ln 3rd let off the gas for a split second slam in to second and just turn the wheel and plant the pedal to the floor without any brakes ( HUGE GRIN , nb not rush hour or school kicking out time ) . but on left handers there is a noticeable difference in mild refusal etc . cheers and sorry for bad punctuation etc,, etc ,, , . cheers
timmyB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-13, 02:19 PM   #2
timmyB4
Grown up member

nobody has replied to this thread , does that mean that you are all driving crabbing cars down the road ?? this should be a sticky on any car forum really . cheers
Old 19-05-13, 04:10 PM   #3
styler
Classic Audi Club Member

it shouldnt cause a car to crab because it only affects side to side movement, the trailing arms are still the same length, from what little i know of geometry..

get 'er done...
styler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-13, 05:02 PM   #4
timmyB4
Grown up member

if your car is lowered and you have not shortened the DIAGONAL pan hard rod your axle at 40mm lowering will be 8mm to the passenger side , this is easy to measure from the edge of the Tyre to the wing etc , cheers
Old 19-05-13, 05:06 PM   #5
styler
Classic Audi Club Member

yes but that is a diagonal movement, the axle will still be square to the chassis, what your saying is every time you put passengers in the car its goin to crab, the lenght of the trailing arms is equal the wheels will still be true just slightly more out on one side, im probably not explaining it properly,

get 'er done...
styler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-13, 07:25 PM   #6
mk1mistry
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

If it helps i used an uprated adjustable tie rod off an old MGF from the scrap yard, cut a couple inches out of the panhard and welded it in, adjust accordingly, worked a treat.
mk1mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-13, 05:22 AM   #7
timmyB4
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by styler View Post
yes but that is a diagonal movement, the axle will still be square to the chassis, what your saying is every time you put passengers in the car its goin to crab, the lenght of the trailing arms is equal the wheels will still be true just slightly more out on one side, im probably not explaining it properly,

quite simply, if a panhard rod is at a 10 degree angle and when lowered a 9 degree angle , YOU WILL HAVE MOVED THE WHOLE ENTIRE AXLE 8MM TO THE LEFT .

i know i am a newbie , but if you dont no what your on about , get out a tape measure . you will be confusing people .

IF YOU LOWER YOUR CAR , ANY CAR ( with a pan hard rod ) THE CARS REAR AXLE WILL BE OUT OF LINE WITH THE FRONT .

i am explaining it well , and nothing you say can defy physics i am afraid . cheers
Old 20-05-13, 05:23 AM   #8
timmyB4
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1mistry View Post
If it helps i used an uprated adjustable tie rod off an old MGF from the scrap yard, cut a couple inches out of the panhard and welded it in, adjust accordingly, worked a treat.
cheers for that , any reason why you did not just cut the audi c section pan hard rod , and re weld ??

cheers
Old 20-05-13, 07:54 AM   #9
Brian83
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I'd go adjustable, then you don't have to weld again if you choose to change the suspension in the future.
Brian83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-13, 08:02 AM   #10
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

Can only speak from personal experience on this one, but on my old coupe gt i lowered it 40mm.
Panhard rod wasnt touched but the car always tracked true and straight and handled very well.

Panhard tech here: http://www.afcoracing.com/tech_pages/panhard.shtml

Looking at the audi one its as long as i remember and the mounting of it diagonally does two things i can thing of- it allows a longer one to be fitted which reduces that side thrusting due to the movement over an arc.

4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote