Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » 1.8 20VT questions

Old 18-04-09, 06:50 AM   #1
b2_sport
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default 1.8 20VT questions

1.8 20VT into an Audi B2 got some major questions before I even consider it.

1. Can this engine be paired with a RWD setup which can be applied on a B2?
2. Does anyone know which gearbox combinations work with this for RWD?
3. How well does the B2 accept such mods, from looking at the engine bay theres tonnes of space! Can the UR rear axle just bolt in etc, because getting a propshaft made is not such a big issue. As much as finding a rwd axle etc.
4. I am interested in making this B2 a rwd/awd beast just need some more info, especially on what parts I need from which vehicles.

I have seen this being done in fwd disguise but I am not really interested in doing that, if rwd/awd option is feasible.

I have sourced a low mileage 1.8 20VT engine gearbox loom & ecu. Just need to know what other parts I need. Any info on this would be great.
b2_sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-09, 07:53 AM   #2
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

there was a thread on this on audifans.net but I can't find it.
Questions:

why?

why?

why?

Buy a beemer or Toyota if you want to go drifting

Anything is possible with enough time and money.

Can you fabricate and weld???

If you want to do an "AWD" car, just buy an 80 or 90 quattro in the first place.

Don't mean to be negative, just realistic.
pimpdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-09, 08:24 AM   #3
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

I wanna do a 1.8 20VT conversion in my sport (well, that's the long term plan), but changing the drivetrain is a real pita. Like pimp says, get something like a B2 80/90 quattro and then start to play.

I think over 200++bhp at the front wheels of an 80sport from a 1.8 20VT motor will be a handful enough as it is though if you go down the easier transplant route!
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-09, 08:29 AM   #4
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

or just do ABF conversion. The cars only weigh 980kg so 160-175bhp should be plenty. Lighter than 1.8T 20V too......
Old 18-04-09, 08:56 AM   #5
b2_sport
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I have the facilities to fabricate and weld it need be. I was hoping there would have been an easy way bolt off, bolt on and transplant some quattro parts into the sport to make it awd, and then pair a 20v turbo to the drivetrain. But if that is going to be too long then I suppose FWD option is not too bad... depending how much work is needed.

I still want to go down the 20v route, I like turbo power.

So fwd 20v turbo B2, will mounts need to be fabricated from scratch? Or can a collection of bits be bolted togheter?

I am thinking stock front hubs, modified & balanced driveshafts? Or do I have to change the whole front hub assembly as well?

Whilst i am here, what sort of big brake options do I have for the front, and possibly rear disc brake options as well. Can we use the 256 conversion to the B2 as the VW's?
b2_sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-09, 10:33 AM   #6
Ben
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1774571

http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18079

Break out your spanners and bolt it in
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-09, 11:33 AM   #7
Ben
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Basil, what are you on about?
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-09, 12:50 PM   #8
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2_sport View Post
Whilst i am here, what sort of big brake options do I have for the front, and possibly rear disc brake options as well. Can we use the 256 conversion to the B2 as the VW's?
Yes, 256mm brakes off an Audi 90. Use GOlf Mk2 16V discs.

You might need to swap the master cylinder over though. Check out www.clubgti.co.uk website for more details.

Rear brakes, drums are supposedly OK, disc calipers seize and don't do that much braking.

you might be able to use rear subframe off a 2WD Audi 90 but you would probably end up with 4x108.

Or if you go larger than 14" wheel, you can use 276 or 280mm brakes I think (though I don't know much about that). I just know that 280mm brakes off a G60 golf fit under 15" G60 steel wheels.
Old 19-04-09, 01:26 AM   #9
msh
4 ring whore!

pimpdriver can u tell me why calipers seize in uk? Here, in latvia, are bad roads and salt on roads in winters so I presume if calipers on 20 years old audi have some problems, it's ok, it needs to be fixed and that's all. Can u tell me why I can't find "high performance drum brakes - replacement for disc brakes"? And how do u think, why VAG only paired drums on rear with weakest of all discs on front? Maybe because VAG used only some weak drums? I have seen drums that can put on brake tester braking force as big as 276mm discs or even more - but this was chevy astrovan with HUGE drums
And there is also visual aspect as well.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-09, 07:23 AM   #10
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
pimpdriver can u tell me why calipers seize in uk? Here, in latvia, are bad roads and salt on roads in winters so I presume if calipers on 20 years old audi have some problems, it's ok, it needs to be fixed and that's all. Can u tell me why I can't find "high performance drum brakes - replacement for disc brakes"? And how do u think, why VAG only paired drums on rear with weakest of all discs on front? Maybe because VAG used only some weak drums? I have seen drums that can put on brake tester braking force as big as 276mm discs or even more - but this was chevy astrovan with HUGE drums
And there is also visual aspect as well.
Calipers do seize in the UK. I can't give you the exact technical / chemical reason, but the calipers on the rear of my 100 avant were seized at both MoTs, April 2008 and April 2009. I did 25000 miles in between. And Mk2 Golfs (a common car over here, do you get them in Latvia???) seize too, which is why you get conversions to Mk4 Golf discs.

But you are going to tell me next how everything costs £5 in Latvia to fix, forgetting that you earn less per hour, so it is all relative. If you earnt £300 a day and it cost £5 per hour to get your car fixed, that would be fantastic, but I don't believe you would get paid £300 a day. If you get paid £30 a day, then £5 an hour is a lot RELATIVE to what you get paid.

If this is going off topic, I do apologise, I was trying to be HELPFUL to the guy, may I suggest you "wind your neck in" and do the same???

The topic is about fitting a 20V 1.8 turbo, and improving brakes, not a general theoretical question about why VAG fitted drums on some cars, and discs on others, and why rear VAG calipers seize (maybe it is because the handbrake actuator is in the wrong place and gets spray from the wheels???)

Please be constructive!!!