Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Transmission » Clutch bleeding

Old 09-04-19, 09:20 PM   #1
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Clutch bleeding

Ok. This morning I had a bit of working clutch-but it needed bleeding.

Now I have no clutch! The bleed pushed some orrible old fluid out, but the master didn't refill from the reservoir.

Any tips on how to bleed it again properly? Pressure from top? Vacuum from blelow? What has worked for anyone please? Thanks
BackintheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-19, 09:33 PM   #2
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

When I bled mine, I pumped the pedal a few times while the pressure bleeder was pushing the fluid through. I kept a low pressure of about 5-8 psi.

Even after finishing, it was a few days before it was back to normal. It seemed to self bleed with use

You can use a Mityvac or similar to pull some through but you need a one way valve to stop air getting back in.

A last resort is to reverse bleed by pushing it through the slave up to the reservoir.
Old 09-04-19, 09:56 PM   #3
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Yes. I think the pressure bleeder is the way to go-but now I have a smaller reservoir I don't have a cap that fits my bleeder!
I might buy another reservoir just to use the cap from it.
Anyone else have good results with a specific way? Thanks

Last edited by BackintheFold; 10-04-19 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-04-19, 07:09 AM   #4
tractor Dave
Classic Audi Club Member

I had to reverse bleed mine. Set the gunstone easy bleed up on the slave bleed valve and push the clean fluid up. Just be careful the reservoir doesn't overflow. I made a tool to fit over the bleed nipple to allow the hose to run through it. Very tight down there on the S2!
https://www.s2forum.com/forum/welcom...0-owner/page46
tractor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-19, 08:30 AM   #5
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor Dave View Post
I had to reverse bleed mine. Set the gunstone easy bleed up on the slave bleed valve and push the clean fluid up. Just be careful the reservoir doesn't overflow. I made a tool to fit over the bleed nipple to allow the hose to run through it. Very tight down there on the S2!
https://www.s2forum.com/forum/welcom...0-owner/page46
That's great-Thanks both!

Dave-how did you keep the rubber hose on the bleed nipple when putting pressure through-I'd have thought it would blow off even at low pressure, and especially when it is tightened up.
Or, do you connect it up, loosen the nipple, apply the pressure, then when fluid is just about to come bubbling out of the reservoir turn the pressure off and then tighten the nipple?

I may try to do it from the top first, i'll buy another reservoir and drill a hole in it so the easy bleed can fit to it. If that fails your Special Tool looks just the sort of thing to use-or can you use a deep reach 11mm socket with mole grips on the end to tighten it up? Its pretty tight on the ur but that might do it. Or just have the nipple open, attach bleeder, apply pressure, remove bleeder and tighten nipple on basis fluid will ooze out but not drain quickly enough to matter? Especially if i have help to screw the lid back on the reservoir before removing the bleeder...

Any of that sound possible?
Old 10-04-19, 09:55 AM   #6
tractor Dave
Classic Audi Club Member

The rubber on the easy bleed is quite stiff and stays on without the supplied clip. I turned the air hose right down to 15psi so it didn't blow off. You really need to turn it off with it still pushing of there is a chance it will suck air in. It does make a mess but I put an old towel under the slave to catch any leaks.
If you like, I can lend you my easy bleed kit and the tool i made. Just pm your address and cover postage.
Cheers
Dave
tractor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-19, 08:15 PM   #7
BackintheFold
Classic Audi Club Member

So. Today's fun was another go at clutch bleeding. I was all set up to reverse bleed, but first off I wanted to make sure there was no manufacturing mistake and that the hole existed at the bottom of my new reservoir.
Yup! Hole was there. Good.
So I also checked the hose while I was at it.
Hmm. A piece of plastic was visible. Maybe the old cracked reservoir had left a piece behind I thought.

Nope.

It was a plastic bung blocking the hose! I removed it to a "whoosh" of vacuum with a pair of pliers and put new reservoir in.

Bled it totally normally-no pressure-pumping clutch and hold/tighten nipple etc etc
Good news! I have more pedal travel back!

I have a little bit of tidying under the car to do before taking it off the axle stands, so am aiming for another test drive this weekend.

Last edited by BackintheFold; 18-04-19 at 08:17 AM.