Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Suspension & Brakes » Audi S2 1991 3B rear ARB upgrade

Old 14-07-17, 09:51 PM   #1
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Audi S2 1991 3B rear ARB upgrade

HI all,
just seen Davallew post about using Tinypic.com to host photos for Classic Audi posting, so I thought I would give it a go, fitted a Whiteline up rated 18mm anti roll bar to the rear of my Audi S2 1991 3B engine and four new shocks.

As you can see it comes with wider poly bushes, brackets, strengthening plates and is adjustable, was a bit of a pig to fit to the sub frame, after two small test runs all is well
and I am very happy with the results, rear end nice and firm and feel planted on the road,
front end now less like a boat with the nose going up and down depending on which peddle you press, that may be down to the new shocks, little bit of understeer at the front coming off roundabouts putting that down, that may be old hard tires or just too much right foot action.

As for using the firmest setting on the ARB may be leave that till later, in all £169 well spent and more positive grip.

Well Preview post button worked, tinypic.com seems to be working for me.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-17, 10:23 PM   #2
Jake Blight
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Spot on . nice to see photos back on site as well... Go you!
Jake Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-17, 10:49 PM   #3
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Nice.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-17, 01:27 PM   #4
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Looks good.

sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-17, 08:51 AM   #5
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

I have had a wee play with the car over the weekend and first test drive on dry roads I would say with the ARB set to the middle setting the rear end was trying to get round on me in mid corner (rear over steer), the roads were wet for the rest of the weekend and on wet roads the front end had under steer in mid corner with the power back on?????? so, my conclusion is I may not know what I am talking about or with the tires on the front being budget tires and the rear being Avon 7ZV and both front and rear only having max 3.0mm tread depth and feel quite old (these tires came with the car), I an not going to get a true handling feed back with these tires on the car, the Avon 7ZV seem to me like a good buy at £187 for 4 from Mytyres.co.uk delivered and internet reviews look good too, dose anyone have any comments on the Avon's or any other tires for the S2? I only ask because my normal tire buys are round, black and good looking tread pattern, these tires with 3 or 4 wide grooves in a radial pattern round the tire don't make me want to buy them, I do have a pair of Toyo Proxes CF2 with this type of radial tread pattern on my Golf TDI and they work ok in the wet and dry, what do you buy tire wise for an 26 year old car that can do 150mph+ and go's like a stabbed rat?
Old 17-07-17, 10:35 AM   #6
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Avon sounds good for the cash, budget tyres wouldn't cost much less!?
It does sound as if the mix of worn/old/brand of tyres is causing a wee upset maybe.

John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-17, 11:55 AM   #7
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Yes John, that's my kind of thoughts as well, don't know whether to buy them just now and store them in a nice dark, dry place or to leave it to next year and just live with the rise in cost, over the last 6-8 months tires have went up 7-12% and just now I can buy them but don't want to fit them because I would like to get the life out of the tires on the car, look I'm a Scotsman every penny is a prisoner, you know the old joke, copper wire was invented by two Scotsmen fighting over a penny, and beyond that we invented the phone and television, Oh, let me go on Mackintosh (aka raincoat), Radar (NO not the wee guy from MASH), threshing machine, reaping machine, vacuum flask and Tarmac that we all use every day and links us all together, I could go on for some time on Scottish inventions but the guy's south of the boarder may get a wee bit miffed, so I will give you this, an English man invented the toilet seat, but 2 year later a Scotsman put a hole in it. hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, there will always be an auld enemy but as long as we keep it lighthearted we will never drift apart,
this on a forum about German cars, Oh sh!t I need to stop trying to fly this keyboard I'm going to get in to bother, anyway like it, lump it, stuff it. Need to stop drinking coffee.
Old 17-07-17, 12:50 PM   #8
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Aitchison View Post
..... anyway like it, lump it, stuff it. Need to stop drinking coffee.

Personally, if they're down to 3mm I'd just replace ..........but it depends on your circumstances......if you're not going to use it much before the summer's out then it'll just be sitting getting flat spots.....maybe?......or will it be on the road over winter?
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-17, 12:55 PM   #9
Ben
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

What tyre pressures do you use? what is the tracking set to for both front and rear? what camber settings do you use for front and rear?

You should have the same tyres all round if you want to go fast around corners

Oh, and the telly, radar, etc were British inventions

Last edited by Ben; 17-07-17 at 12:58 PM.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-17, 04:54 PM   #10
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Ben, not going to get into the debate about Scottish, English or British, but it dose sound like you do sports writing for the BBC, copy and paste link below just for a laugh, it opened up my eyes.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...d-6289832.html