Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Electrical problems » HT Lead Advice

Old 22-01-17, 11:05 AM   #1
Jimbo
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default HT Lead Advice

Hello Everyone,

I recently fitted a new set of spark plugs. While fitting them I thought the HT Leads could probably do with updating, I have had a look at the interwebs and found some Bosch leads that look pretty good.

I also like the look of the magnecore products they are a little more expensive but come with a 10yr gaurentee.

It's probably a little trivial in the grand scheme of things. However any thoughts, opinions or advice are all greatly received

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22-01-17, 11:12 AM   #2
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

I've had two cars now which had magnecore leads when purchased. I don't understand the attraction. The assembly quality has been so utterly awful that any gain in ignition performance from the cable is offset enormously by the fact that they generally were fragile.

Bosch. Made for the application. Fit and forget for a decade or so.
Old 22-01-17, 03:26 PM   #3
Jimbo
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MSH! View Post
I've had two cars now which had magnecore leads when purchased. I don't understand the attraction. The assembly quality has been so utterly awful that any gain in ignition performance from the cable is offset enormously by the fact that they generally were fragile.

Bosch. Made for the application. Fit and forget for a decade or so.

Makes good sense, Cheers

Old 22-01-17, 03:37 PM   #4
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

As above James,i wouldn't bother with Magnacor never liked the stuff and can't see the point of it. In the old days if you wanted more spark power you bought an uprated high energy coil.

I bought a set of Beru leads for our 2.8 Cabriolet ,Audi prices for the same thing are and the difference was immediate. The one other thing i think you won't regret doing is buying a new maf.I did and again the difference is telling and a bargain at £39.99 for a genuine one delivered.,engine running better.smoother more power,fuel consumption better etc. NCTS other than the boss is a very very nice chap,i have used them in the past and i know you won't regret buying one.

Pm me if you want the details of the maf.

Last edited by vorsprung durch technik; 22-01-17 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Wrong name.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-17, 05:33 PM   #5
Jimbo
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Cheers

Old 22-01-17, 05:33 PM   #6
steve briance
Newbie!

I have the 8mm Magencor leads...

They happened to come on a spare 7A engine i bought which was a nice bonus! I fitted them to my current engine in the car and i have to say there was a noticeable difference in that a 'harshness' passing through 5000rpm was no longer there. they look alright to me and click into place nicely on the plugs. not sure what element of their build quality is below par?

On reflection, i put the improvement down to the coil lead being the original 27 year old item as far as i know. I did get a replacement set from Audi about 13-14 years ago (had the car 15 years) as the leads on the car when i bought it were leaking spark out through the side of the lead, but - the 'set' didn't include coil lead.

I never bothered getting a new coil lead and when i took my old item off to put the magnecor on, i tested it. Resistance was fine and within spec however, when it flexed the reading went all over the place!
steve briance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-17, 06:58 PM   #7
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Bosch gets a from me
sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-17, 07:11 PM   #8
Jimbo
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve briance View Post
I have the 8mm Magencor leads...

They happened to come on a spare 7A engine i bought which was a nice bonus! I fitted them to my current engine in the car and i have to say there was a noticeable difference in that a 'harshness' passing through 5000rpm was no longer there. they look alright to me and click into place nicely on the plugs. not sure what element of their build quality is below par?

On reflection, i put the improvement down to the coil lead being the original 27 year old item as far as i know. I did get a replacement set from Audi about 13-14 years ago (had the car 15 years) as the leads on the car when i bought it were leaking spark out through the side of the lead, but - the 'set' didn't include coil lead.

I never bothered getting a new coil lead and when i took my old item off to put the magnecor on, i tested it. Resistance was fine and within spec however, when it flexed the reading went all over the place!

Cheers

Old 22-01-17, 07:12 PM   #9
Jimbo
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbin5t View Post
Bosch gets a from me

Cheers