Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments » Windscreen replacement

Old 16-01-18, 01:30 PM   #11
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
This cutting method doesn't require removal of trim, on the contrary - it allows to preserve clip on chromed metal trim. Your trim, destroyed by that guy looks strange - my A90q has metal trims with hooks, reusable unless someone intently destroys it. Rubber trim is universal item, comes in some length and requires cutting to necessary length.
This is a problem that seems to pervade the U.K. Glass fitting industry- they have their own methods which are 'better', but often don't take into account the manufacturers recomended methods.

My V8s are a case in point. Follow the repair manual preocedure from Audi, and the glass is cut out with the trim intact on the glass. Then trim off the old sealant as close as practicable, before refitting. After providing the section of the manual to the body shop, the feckwit Pakistani proprietor still tried to pull the trim off separately! Some folk are just genetically predisposed to stupidity

However, having spoken to a UK Audi dealer, it seems that they elected not to invest in the correct kit themselves, nor have trained staff. Instead, they use an external contractor, who does as he sees fit. Often they have the kit, but apparently unless the instructions only come with simple pictures, they don't get it.
Which is OK while spares are readily available (in Audi world, that can start seriously running out from 6 years after the model is superseded)

In the classic ownership world, where the cars are well beyond the supported life of the model, a very different approach is needed. I dread anything related to bonded glass repairs on my cars. I'm going to have to invest in the kit myself, such that I know it might get done correctly
Old 16-01-18, 06:59 PM   #12
msh
4 ring whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy3074 View Post
Good info.

Got a link for the rubber seal at all?

I’ve got an aftermarket chrome trim there but the rubber part has dried out. If I can use the original chrome with new rubber that’d be great
Well, you misunderstood me. Rubber trim is piece of rubber fitted around windscreen and filling up whole place, not leaving place for anything else. Look at the basic A80's and you'll see one fitted.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-18, 03:51 PM   #13
SwallownAmazon
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Your trim, destroyed by that guy looks strange - my A90q has metal trims with hooks, reusable unless someone intently destroys it. Rubber trim is universal item, comes in some length and requires cutting to necessary length.
You are quite correct. The guy that took the screen out said it was a non-standard trim and presumably is all that was available to the Autoglass depot at the time (2005). It could be the reason there was so much corrosion around the aperture.

All now done and dusted - photos of the fitting follow:

Repair to badly corroded area along top of aperture.

Repair to badly corroded area at top right of aperture.

Correct toothed windscreen surround assembly complete with rubber trim.

Winscreen being offered up.

Windscreen curing off for a few minutes with retaining clamp to prevent slippage.

Took about an hour to fit the new one and ABRACADABRA No leaks.

Good service from Autoglass I think to honour a warranty from 12 years ago.
SwallownAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-18, 04:12 PM   #14
msh
4 ring whore!

And what is manufacturer of that windscreen?
Old 17-01-18, 04:47 PM   #15
SwallownAmazon
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi msh,
Company is:

Belron UK Limited t/a Autoglass®, 1 Priory Business Park, Cardington, Bedford MK44 3US

Autoglass is the UK windscreen fitting company and the screens are made by another part of the Belron Group of comapnies. I do know that when I first contacted the company about the problem in August last year, they did not have any glass available in the UK or Continental Europe so they made a batch of 20.
Link to the group website:
The web site gives a lot more information about the group.
Old 17-01-18, 04:50 PM   #16
msh
4 ring whore!

Damn. I'm asking for manufacturer, not company that fitted, or to which group manufacturer belongs Manufacturer is written on some corner of the glass, likely bottom left.
Old 17-01-18, 04:53 PM   #17
SwallownAmazon
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Damn. I'm asking for manufacturer, not company that fitted, or to which group manufacturer belongs Manufacturer is written on some corner of the glass, likely bottom left.
READ MY POST. I said manufacturer is from the same group of companies!!!! BELRON.
Old 17-01-18, 04:58 PM   #18
msh
4 ring whore!

There are 15 companies in that webpage, none known to me as windscreen manufacturer [well, first time I see such names anyway]. I doubt anyone made 20 windscreens, likely they were sourced from some of the big manufacturers or dug out from some warehouse.
Old 17-01-18, 05:04 PM   #19
SwallownAmazon
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

You may doubt that but I know different. One of my friends is the now retired European Marketing Director for Autoglass/Carglass and he told me years ago that they have their own manufacturing facilty. They do buy in some things like adhesives and other sundries and my trim was an oem item from AUDI.
Old 17-01-18, 07:46 PM   #20
Duffy3074
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

That'd tie in to them having 18 left
Duffy3074 is offline   Reply With Quote