Classic Audi » Classifieds section » Parts Wanted » b4 80 avant tailgate handle

Old 16-11-20, 01:49 PM   #1
sjp001
Grown up member

Default b4 80 avant tailgate handle

Hi all, I went to open the boot on my b4 80 avant and as the handle pulled there was a snap and the handle is loose and doesn't open the boot now. Presume easiest to swap out the handle mechanism with a new one... Would anyone happen to have one for sale? Many thanks!
sjp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-20, 03:17 PM   #2
tractor Dave
Classic Audi Club Member

It's unlikely to have snapped. It's a hefty handle.
More likely the mechanism has worked loose. There are two Allen bolts that can work loose which makes the handle floppy and inoperative.
Now for the fun bit. If you can't open the tailgate from the outside, you will need to remove the tailgate cover from the inside! It's not easy but apparently it can be done without too much damage. Then you can reach the two rods that operate the lock release (one either side).
I do have a spare handle but it's been trimmed for a 90 style light surround. I also have a spare inner tailgate cover if you damage yours. Good luck
tractor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-20, 04:56 PM   #3
sjp001
Grown up member

Dave that's so helpful of you, thank you so much for taking the time and trouble!!

Will take a look - I've had to have the cover off before but of course I could do it with the boot open and recall the bottom plastic handle has screws on the underside that I won't be able to get off. Imagine if I pry the top section off I might be able to reach in enough to open it. Will update!
Old 19-11-20, 05:43 PM   #4
sjp001
Grown up member

Ok I had a moment to look at this. Got the boot open and found the problem. A few years ago someone rear ended my car and I had to have a new tailgate fitted. The bodyshop I used switched over all the trim (the used tailgate I found had none) and I did notice a few bits of slightly sloppy work at the time. It looks like they broke one side of the hinge for the handle and have wired it together, which has allowed play and caused excess stress on the side of the handle with the lever, so the plastic connection to the lever has snapped. Pics attached...

So I'm still looking for a replacement handle assembly if anyone has one at all?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4178 copy.jpg (271.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4179 copy.jpg (125.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4180 copy.jpg (287.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 19-11-20, 07:29 PM   #5
tractor Dave
Classic Audi Club Member

Send me a pm. I will dig mine out
tractor Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-20, 09:18 PM   #6
sjp001
Grown up member

You legend Dave, many thanks!