Classic Audi » Audi Sport / Competition » Competition Cars (FIA/MSA licenced cars) » a 'Boys own' story!

Old 21-11-10, 10:28 PM   #11
ian20v
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Epic comes to mind,great story john
ian20v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-10, 10:29 PM   #12
akeys
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Aware of your project from qforum but great to see all the photos again over here.
Love the attention to detail that is going into it.
akeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-10, 10:38 PM   #13
20vcqdriver
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Fantastic! And some proper attention to detail there. Like my ol Dad used to say, if your going to do something do it properly. Look forward to scrutinising this when I get the chance. 10 out of 10..

Coupe quattro 1986:-~450bhp + loooong list of mods!
Audi A7 Bi-TDI SLine Black edition 2015 mapped to produce 600lb/ft torque!
Audi S4 4.2 V8 cabriolet 2004:-
20vcqdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-10, 10:45 PM   #14
Nigel Conniford
Chief Sausage Meister!!
Classic Audi Club Member

Aint you bloody finished it yet ???

Pull your finger out man

Nige

Horsepower is the force that determines at what speed you hit the wall, Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it.
Nigel Conniford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-10, 10:56 PM   #15
Audiden
Classic Audi Club Member

Great write up, inspirational stuff!
Old 21-11-10, 10:59 PM   #16
LYT4X
Younger than JJ !
Classic Audi Club Member

Found a few more shots from the last time I visited the shop. Appologies to qforum folks who may have seen this already:

The gearbox now rests on mountings which come off the shell rather than off the front sub-frame. This means that, just like the rear differential, there is no connection to the sub-frame which means that the entire suspension can be ‘dropped’ without removal of any part of the drivetrain (differential/gearbox).

The fuel tank is installed in a close fitting ‘cage’ and the firewall has now been fabricated around this. The firewall provides a safety barrier between the occupants and the potential 120 litres of trouble being carried in a foam filled bag behind it.

The roll cage has been finished and it looks the business! The rear stays tie-in to the new differential mounts, so any torque in the drive is transmitted through the whole car. All the cage joints have 360 degree welds to comply with the latest requirements of the FIA.

The turbo has been mounted and a cut-out has been fabricated in the chassis-leg to facilitate easy removal/re-installation:

Brakes and mounting spacers have arrived from AP Racing and this adds a bit of meat to the (already) impressive Proflex struts.

I recently took another trip abroad to pick-up some cross-braced wishbones and original Audi-Sport rose-joints/sliders (bottom ball-joints), along with even more Kevlar parts. On the way home, I met up with Andy (in Tyne & Wear) who now owns Nigel/Coxy's old 'Sanyo car'. After picking-up a present for Hamish there, it was off to Cumbria to borrow a dry-sump from Hamish so that the guys at the workshop could see what it looked like as my own one has yet to materialise. It was great to see his SWB project in the flesh and he really deserves all the smoke you can blow up his posterior for what he has done. Top bloke.

Next time I go to the shop I hope to be heading back to Cumbria with the borrowed dry-sump and then on to visit Mr Krinks with a swirl pot that I'm getting made for him but which (in common with most things about this build) is taking too long..

One final thing....... I've taken delivery of two brand new Recaro seats to replace the two which you have seen already in this thread and which have never actually been fitted or used. Thanks to new FIA/MSA rules, all seats in new-build rally cars must be within 5 years of their manufacturing date. I originally bought my seats in 1998 as part of my 'future plan'. They have never been used but they need to be replaced with another pair which have a 'current' sticker on them.

If anyone needs a pair of Recaros for a rally recreation - give me a shout and you'll get a real bargain. The seats and mounts cost over a grand.

@ istoo - Hope to have it here by Feb/Mar 2011. Might even stop for a coffee at your place the day I bring her home!

@ Nigel - You can talk! When's that JapCrap going to be ready??
Old 21-11-10, 11:08 PM   #17
Coxy
4 Ring Mafia
Classic Audi Club Member

How much for the seats and which recaro's are they?
I need a pair for my 80q project
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-10, 11:09 PM   #18
rich.r

amazing

top job
rich.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-10, 03:26 PM   #19
Baggee
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Inspirational reading. Some exceptional workmanship and a very thorough build. The detail is first class. Goes to show dreams can be fulfilled
Baggee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-10, 05:11 PM   #20
BIGGYIN
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Excellent thread.

I take my hat off,to you. She,s going tobe,a beauty.
If possible,could you post more details about Her specs?Love to read more,about Her.(and see more pics.)

Injection is nice but I'd rather be blown
BIGGYIN is offline   Reply With Quote