Classic Audi » Technical » Car detailing & polishing » cordless drill car polisher attachments?

Old 14-07-16, 12:22 PM   #1
leggy

Arrow cordless drill car polisher attachments?

Hey guys

My boy's roof was mopped quite some years ago now, and the last time that I used a 'paint restorer' to get rid of the dull/matt patches, well it was a real bitch of a job to do by hand. Some 8yrs on and the patches are starting to reappear again.

I really do not want to go down the mopping route to bring back the shine (had the bonnet done three times and owing to loss of paint it was a right pig to polish up!), and a respray is defo a no go as far as I'm concerned (I've heard too many stories about sun-roofs not going back in again properly after removal!), so it's looking like another 'paint restore' session and then a good seal afterwards with some HD wax.

Okay, so I've got some stuff today that will stir up the paint (rather than to remove another layer of it!), and I've also been looking at cordless polishers, but with funds being a bit low atm, well I just cant afford one. I do however have access to a cordless drill*, so I'm thinking, polishing attachments - does anyone know where I can get them from please? and more importantly, which type I would need for the job in hand please?

[EDIT] *it's a Bosch PSB 1800 LI-2 cordless combi drill.

Last edited by leggy; 14-07-16 at 12:25 PM.
leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-16, 05:51 PM   #2
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

NO !
Don't go there with a cordless drill leggy, you are inviting disaster !
sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-16, 09:37 PM   #3
Crossle
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I've got a cheap ass polishing mop. Used it on mine last weekend and it bought it back from the dead. Your welcome to borrow it although the shower cap style covers I have for it are well used. I rinsed one out in the sink before I used it and it worked fine
Crossle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-16, 09:10 AM   #4
leggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbin5t View Post
NO !
Don't go there with a cordless drill leggy, you are inviting disaster !
So what's the difference between using a cordless car polisher/buffer and a cordless drill with attachments please sinbin5t?
(my thinking being that a drill with attachments used on lowest settings with very little pressure over small areas would be the same as using a car polisher/buffer, both having rotating circular pads for applying products. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossle View Post
I've got a cheap ass polishing mop. Used it on mine last weekend and it bought it back from the dead. Your welcome to borrow it although the shower cap style covers I have for it are well used. I rinsed one out in the sink before I used it and it worked fine
Pm sent Crossle
Old 15-07-16, 02:27 PM   #5
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggy View Post
So what's the difference between using a cordless car polisher/buffer and a cordless drill with attachments please sinbin5t?
(my thinking being that a drill with attachments used on lowest settings with very little pressure over small areas would be the same as using a car polisher/buffer, both having rotating circular pads for applying products. )

A drill is held in a completely different way, and if it skips you will end up with marks !
sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-16, 03:46 PM   #6
leggy

Argh, yes, that makes perfect sense sinbin5t...
clearly I've not used a polisher (of any kind) before, so I'm glad that I asked now, thanks!

The good news being, well I've got the use of a proper car polisher/buffer between Sunday and AITP8 now, so whilst my boys roof wont be perfect for the meet, well I'll have plenty of time to get it sorted in time for AITP8.