Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Electrical problems » type 81 coupe fuse box

Old 08-07-17, 09:29 AM   #1
davow
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default type 81 coupe fuse box

Hi all, I'm having some real trouble with the electrics in my coupe and I'm putting it down to the crappy fuse box? Any one on here changed to a later more reliable one? what are my options? is there anything that is a direct replacement so I don't have to change the connectors on the back? it's a 1981 coupe gt and just has the fuse box behind the glove box not one under the bonnet. cheers in advance dave
davow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17, 10:07 AM   #2
lefthooker
Classic Audi Club Member

Very hard to find a decent replacement one of these anymore.

A brand new one is the best option from possibly someone like Pete at Quattro Corner or failing that maybe get an auto electrician to wire in a modern alternative?
lefthooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17, 11:20 AM   #3
billy_bunter
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Very very hard to find brand new 'ceramic' fuse box. Especially at my skinflint values.

You can take them apart and refurb them. Not easy according to the auto electrician who looked at my electrics but 'doable'. Hardest part of the lot is sorting out the mess of mods done by all the owners/garages over time. I am sure a lot of problems seen as fusebox are due to this. In short find an auto electrician who can tell you whether it knackered or not.

Perhaps that is a the bigger challenge.
billy_bunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17, 01:21 PM   #4
4v6
Ex Member
Classic Audi Club Member

The early boxes were internally made with soldered boards and connections going through them and theyd break down with a dry joint or a burn out of some kind rendering the thing useless, its by far and away the crappiest idea for a fuse box.
The later types were plastic with brass busbars inside.
I did strip down my old gt fusebox when it went pop and its very unlikely you can repair it, theyre a pile unfortunately.
The later type boxes did use the same connections on the back as the originals , dont know what year it all changed over to the more modern versions found in the ur/cq etc though.
4v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17, 02:35 PM   #5
lefthooker
Classic Audi Club Member

The later type box appeared sometime during 1983, unfortunately they have completely different connectors on the back and are in no way compatible with the early fusebox.

Another possibility is to change to the whole wiring loom complete with fusebox from a pre facelift '83/84 car, which will still have the right connections for the early type dash switches and clocks etc.

Last edited by lefthooker; 08-07-17 at 02:44 PM.
lefthooker is offline   Reply With Quote