Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Electrical problems » Disco lights - Bad earth

Old 19-12-16, 03:41 PM   #1
Cynical26
Grown up member

Default Disco lights - Bad earth

Hi all,

Looking for some guidance before searching in the wrong area. My offside indicators, front and rear, are setting off the front side light and the rear position lamp when indicating.

I'm assuming I have an earth issue. Can anyone tell me where the earth points are located? I'm happy to rip up the carpet and trim panels but don't want to waste time reinventing the wheel.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Graeme
Cynical26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-16, 03:53 PM   #2
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

There's a strong chance the rear lights are leaking which allows water to drip inside the boot on to the connectors.

Your connectors will be corroded.

The fix is to remove the rear lights and replace the sealant
Old 20-12-16, 01:24 AM   #3
Cynical26
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes2 View Post
There's a strong chance the rear lights are leaking which allows water to drip inside the boot on to the connectors.

Your connectors will be corroded.

The fix is to remove the rear lights and replace the sealant
Thanks, changed the bulbs today, and it was dry. All working without issue. Doesn't look like an earth then. Will get the connectors cleaned up or replaced soon then. Cheers for the advice.
Old 07-01-17, 08:44 PM   #4
Cynical26
Grown up member

Ment to update is last week.

Checked the rear light cluster in the rain, and yes: water on the inside of the bulb holder. Dried it out and cleaned up the corroded connectors. Plugged it back in and the problem is gone. Been about 10 days now of wet weather and all still working fine.

Next task was obviously to remove the rear lense and replace the seals. Problem is I think a previous owner has tried to fix the water ingress by using a silicone sealant between the lense and the bodywork, there was no way that rear lense was coming out!

Looks like I'll just have to keep the connections cleaned up every so often. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction
Old 07-01-17, 09:31 PM   #5
newsh
Grown up member

There's another possible leak which is under the trim across the back of the body that the hatch closes onto. Water runs down the channels at the sides and Nader this trim before exiting. You need to take that trim off and seal where the screws go though that hold it on. I did mine with some of the cluster sealant wrapped round the screws before screwing them in.
Crap description I fear, hope it makes sense 😬
newsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 09:33 PM   #6
newsh
Grown up member

Should read Under not Nader! No edit function 🤔
Old 07-01-17, 09:34 PM   #7
Cynical26
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsh View Post
There's another possible leak which is under the trim across the back of the body that the hatch closes onto. Water runs down the channels at the sides and Nader this trim before exiting. You need to take that trim off and seal where the screws go though that hold it on. I did mine with some of the cluster sealant wrapped round the screws before screwing them in.
Crap description I fear, hope it makes sense 😬
Thanks newsh, yeah I did that when I was refitting the plastic panel. The screws there were so rusty one of them snapped instead of coming out. Not the best design.
Old 07-01-17, 10:00 PM   #8
newsh
Grown up member

👍👍
Old 08-01-17, 03:49 PM   #9
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Hmmmm, i have found 2 places where water leaks into the tailgate on my V6 coupe, one is round the washer jet, the other round the wiper arm mount, what made me look was that after heavy rain, if i lifted the tailgate, it decided to pour water over the back seats

It seems to gather in the trim inside and there is evidence of a drip running down over the offside light cluster (but not into it...............yet ) maybe worth your while looking at those places Gee

sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-17, 05:58 PM   #10
mackenzie50
Grown up member

I think that,across on the S2 forum, at least 16 different sources of leaks, water ingress have been recognised/ suffered... my CQ7a must have them all....carpet had to come out and replacing it will take a l-o-n-g time!
mackenzie50 is offline   Reply With Quote