Old 02-11-12, 06:42 PM   #31
type81
Classic Audi Club Member

I have this pic of an installed 1.8t in a B2 Audi 80 Quattro

type81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 06:46 PM   #32
msh
4 ring whore!

You can search in motorgeek, IIRC one latvian usually using nickname Val in forums had made thread about his car - B2 A80 GTE quattro in which he installed 1.8 20vt quite long time ago.

About gearbox inability to handle power - 4 pot gearbox might be waker, but mk1 quattro gearboxes found in C3 A200 are one of the strongest audi has made so far.
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 07:41 PM   #33
Jenks
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by type81 View Post
I have this pic of an installed 1.8t in B2 Audi 80 Quattro.....

I have an 1.8t quattro engine (180bhp for now) and box fitted in my b2 cq. I was lucky though in the fact I had all the spare bits to cobble it together and a lot of help from friends, moral, technical and mechanical. (Also just been reminded by gf that I was helped in the fitting of the propshaft by a gorgeous redhead.)
So far its done two trackdays at combe without issue and I run it as my daily. It's not a quick conversion to do right but I guarantee you'll love how it makes the car feel. I can help point you in the right direction for the bits and info you need and I've a spare down pipe that I've now replaced with a s/s one that AndyP made.

In short....Get it done!

p.s just thought I'd best own up to the fact the pic is not my car. Mine is a white one and it doesn't look anywhere near as tidy as this one...yet.
Jenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 08:48 PM   #34
Haydn44
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Smile Engines, past and present

Glad to see you've reached a conclusion on this.

I have two type 85's a 5 pot JS (2 litre) auto and a 4 pot 1.8 . Both older engined than what you are currently considering but nevertheless the 1.8 (currently off the road due to body problems) has covered 150,000 uneventful miles. She still runs smoothly and I can testify to the pulling power (without a turbo), they run economically and have a long life.

As for the 2.0 litre standard 10v 5 pot, as it's coupled to an auto, 3 speed, gearbox, it would not be worthwhile to upgrade it to a 20v without further expensive work on the transmission.

I suspect your's is the same, for different reasons, you're probably right to stick with the 4 pot 1.8t . It wont let you down.

By the way it looks a tidy motor.
Haydn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 10:45 PM   #35
WOT
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

sweet car
WOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12, 08:46 PM   #36
sam
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

1.8t i have 1 in my b3 90q with a few tweeks and i love it. originally bought an a4 1.8t with full leather for £350.. and a few month back a 1.8t passat for £150 so they are out there too be found. also you can get the ecu de-immobilised which saves messing with clocks etc not sure wether the standard downpipe will fit a b2 but im sure you can find out
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12, 09:18 PM   #37
doninphi
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
1.8t i have 1 in my b3 90q with a few tweeks and i love it. originally bought an a4 1.8t with full leather for £350.. and a few month back a 1.8t passat for £150 so they are out there too be found. also you can get the ecu de-immobilised which saves messing with clocks etc not sure wether the standard downpipe will fit a b2 but im sure you can find out
Wish I'd done this!

I make vinyl STICKERS! Pm me for any design you want...
doninphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-12, 10:27 PM   #38
Megsy
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjay View Post

But i can't help but think there is a line of thought that pervades older Audi circles that if you want your Audi to be in some way acceptable or whatever, that the only way to do that is to put a screaming 5 pot 20 valve turbo nutter conversion into it. As Styler says, if you want a 5 pot go buy a 5 pot. If you want to run a 1.8T go buy an A4.
The 5 cylinder 20v turbo is such a good engine. As well as the sound track that comes with it ,its strong , can be tuned up to the hilt , and it will start in the morning and run spot on. With metering heads failing as they get older and carbs needing rebuilds but never being quite right the 5 is a great choice.

I've been close to writing the piston heads advert for my UR 20vt and each time I've gone into the garage, fired it up and that was it ,advert scrapped. I think it could be once you've had a 5 pot nothing else will do.
Megsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-12, 04:01 PM   #39
T0MME
Grown up member

Send a message via MSN to T0MME

Ok guys many thanks for your input,
So it seems a 1.8t is definatly the way forward for my car, and to be honest i think the turbo noises are awesome, add that to the bags of charactor my car allready has (rattles and strange noises) i think it'll be alot of fun...
is it better to get a passat or a4? what do i need to avoid etc?
the light is going quickly now but im off to try and get some pictures for you, back laters
T0MME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-12, 07:24 PM   #40
T0MME
Grown up member

Send a message via MSN to T0MME

T0MME is offline   Reply With Quote