Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Wheels & Tyres » What are the pro's & con's of reburbing wheels

Old 15-03-16, 07:13 PM   #1
leggy

Arrow What are the pro's & con's of reburbing wheels

As title suggests, what are the pro's & con's of reburbing wheels?...
and I'm talking about ya bog standard wheels with trims, not ya posh alloy jobbies!

My 80 wheels look kind of okay with trims on, but with trims off, well they're starting to show signs of age (corrosion, rust, chips in the paint, etc) and I've been thinking about having them sandblasted and resprayed just to spruce them up a bit.

I use my car daily, have no other car, the bodyshop have said that they cannot remove/refit the tyres, and I live in a rural location - meaning - having each wheel done independently, trips back and forth between tyre place and bodyshop, and using spare as a replacement....a pita but hey!

Obviously the balancing weights would need to come off for sandblasting/respray but the tyre place can remove/replace/rebalance the wheels so I don't have a problem with that. What is concerning me is the refitting of the old tyres after reburb (I cant afford a set of new tyres!) due to a possible shrinkage of the wheel rims during sandblasting.

Any thoughts or other suggestions on this please?
leggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-16, 07:28 PM   #2
John.
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

If they're just starting to show signs of aging then it's probably something you could do yourself with basic tools, some rust eater and paint?
..........if going the other route maybe another CA member might have a set of wheels you could fit whilst yours are being refurbished?
John. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-16, 07:55 PM   #3
leggy

Not sure how bad they are John...
didn't really take much notice until beginnings of restoration last year, and it's not something I have experience of either - I just know that sandblasting/respraying is an option and that the bodyshop can do it; I don't really have the confidence or facilities to do them myself.

I had considered wheel lend, just don't know who to ask, most of the locals have alloys fitted so I'm guessing that they probably never had the originals and/or have long since gotten rid of them. I will ask at local meet, but I think I'll be doing this ->
Old 15-03-16, 07:58 PM   #4
ChrisG
Classic Audi Club Member

If the trims cover most of the wheel I reckon time spent wire brushing /rust killing/good quality rattle car primer/topcoat would be OK, be a lot more convenient for you and cheaper.
ChrisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-16, 08:02 PM   #5
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

There's only one way to do that job .. .. .. .. .. properly! Cheaper in the long run and gives total piece of mind knowing it will last for donkeys years if done with and acid bath to remove all paint shot blasting to remove all corrosion or more pickling then oven baked powder coated,baked etc etc.That's the best way to do them. But if i were you take the opportunity to upgrade to a proper set of wheels them hub caps aint' cutting it! Get yourself some tenspokes and get them referbed as outlined.The car will look so much better for it.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-16, 08:08 PM   #6
jogi730
jogi
Classic Audi Club Member

Buying a new steel wheel from the stealer is expensive. Having a set refurbished properly is not that cheap either. WIth my first Audi 80 quattro, following a skirmish with a high kerb, I found a set of brand new alloys in a closing down sale for less than it would have cost for the new steel. Some wheels (second hand) can be found in good condition at a reasonable price if you have the patience to look around and wait.
Old 15-03-16, 08:12 PM   #7
leggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
If the trims cover most of the wheel I reckon time spent wire brushing /rust killing/good quality rattle car primer/topcoat would be OK, be a lot more convenient for you and cheaper.
I'm competent enough to do mechanical repairs ChrisG...
but bodywork and respraying, pffft, wouldn't even have a clue where to start!
Old 15-03-16, 08:22 PM   #8
leggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
There's only one way to do that job .. .. .. .. .. properly! Cheaper in the long run and gives total piece of mind knowing it will last for donkeys years if done with and acid bath to remove all paint shot blasting to remove all corrosion or more pickling then oven baked powder coated,baked etc etc.That's the best way to do them. But if i were you take the opportunity to upgrade to a proper set of wheels them hub caps aint' cutting it! Get yourself some tenspokes and get them referbed as outlined.The car will look so much better for it.
The bodyshop that I use weren't able to dip-strip my trims so I know they haven't got an acid-bath, and I seem to recall that they didn't know anyone that did.
They do however have ovens, it's one of the things that I asked about when I first started looking around for a decent bodyshop. They were also the only one offering a courtesy car, hence why I chose them and have/will continued to do so.

As for spokes vorsprung durch technik ->
It's not you that lives near a pikey camp, has had your car broken in to twice, and you're not paying the increased insurance costs, so I'll just stick with to my originals thanks!

Last edited by leggy; 15-03-16 at 08:25 PM.
Old 15-03-16, 08:24 PM   #9
leggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogi730 View Post
Buying a new steel wheel from the stealer is expensive. Having a set refurbished properly is not that cheap either. WIth my first Audi 80 quattro, following a skirmish with a high kerb, I found a set of brand new alloys in a closing down sale for less than it would have cost for the new steel. Some wheels (second hand) can be found in good condition at a reasonable price if you have the patience to look around and wait.
I have the patience, I just dont have the storage jogi730...
plus I'm a stickler for keeping my boy in an as-original-condition as possible, hence refurb rather than replace.
Old 15-03-16, 08:29 PM   #10
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Bodyshops wouldn't normally have an Acid bath,but good wheel refurbishers do! There's plenty about to choose from.Don't know about your area at all but i'm sure Milton Keynes isn't too far from you.You could get them done at Pristine Wheels.

Can't think 10 spokes would add to your insurance premium.Off topic but how much is your insurance??
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote