Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Bodywork, glass & exterior fitments » Type 44 200 windscreen replacement

Old 09-11-18, 02:44 PM   #1
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Default Type 44 200 windscreen replacement

Hey all,

Right, so I need to get the windscreen replaced on the 200, apart from a small but growing crack on the bottom corner I have 2 rust spots that have appeared from previous bad workmanship when replacing a screen about 10 years ago (thank you Autoglass Ireland). So, what I want to do is remove the rubber and chrome intact, as I know they can't be got anymore. Does anyone here have any advice regarding the safe removal of said rubber and chrome?

Regarding replacing the glass, does anyone have any recommendations regarding where I can get a windscreen from to fit the type44 100/200? I know it's been mentioned here somewhere before but I can't find a thread for it.

Thank in advance guys.
theschmallfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 04:24 PM   #2
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

I'll email you the relevant pages of the V8 manual when I'm able, if you send me a pm with your address.

The trim and glass come out as one. (this is the first place where normal glass companies screw up)
THEN remove the trim from the glass.
The bonding material holding the glass in place is cut with a wire loop. once the glass/trim assembly is removed, the bonding is then trimmed down to the flange.
The remaining bond is also trimmed from the windscreen.

Removing the trim from the glass requires some patience. (This is the second place that windscreen companies screw up)
Old 09-11-18, 04:28 PM   #3
spink
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theschmallfella View Post
Hey all,

Right, so I need to get the windscreen replaced on the 200, apart from a small but growing crack on the bottom corner I have 2 rust spots that have appeared from previous bad workmanship when replacing a screen about 10 years ago (thank you Autoglass Ireland). So, what I want to do is remove the rubber and chrome intact, as I know they can't be got anymore. Does anyone here have any advice regarding the safe removal of said rubber and chrome?

Regarding replacing the glass, does anyone have any recommendations regarding where I can get a windscreen from to fit the type44 100/200? I know it's been mentioned here somewhere before but I can't find a thread for it.

Thank in advance guys.

Not sure if you ever come up north in your 100 but i know a bloke who can do pretty much any new windscreen including fitting for between £100 and £150,he will also just supply the glass
spink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 04:49 PM   #4
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

If you have the new screen, it may be worth considering sacrificing the old screen to preserve the trim and seal
Old 09-11-18, 04:50 PM   #5
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Spink's advice sounds a treat, but if push comes to shove, I have heard that Pilkington Glass can produce a new screen for you, but I guess it will probably be fairly expensive.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 07:54 PM   #6
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spink View Post
Not sure if you ever come up north in your 100 but i know a bloke who can do pretty much any new windscreen including fitting for between £100 and £150,he will also just supply the glass
Hey Spink, the 200 is off the road on SORN at the moment and won't be going anywhere any time soon unfortunately. Still, if you could pass on that blokes details I'd be interested in giving him a call, we could arrange something.
Old 09-11-18, 07:55 PM   #7
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
Spink's advice sounds a treat, but if push comes to shove, I have heard that Pilkington Glass can produce a new screen for you, but I guess it will probably be fairly expensive.
I heard or read something similar last year, I wonder is it worth giving them a call to see what the story is?
Old 09-11-18, 08:01 PM   #8
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes2 View Post
If you have the new screen, it may be worth considering sacrificing the old screen to preserve the trim and seal
It would have to be a new screen anyway mikes2, the current one would never survive removal because of the wee crack in the bottom corner.

I was also thinking gents, would the the windscreen from a 100, 91-94, or the first generation A6, fit the type 44? Are they the same?
Old 09-11-18, 08:05 PM   #9
Hanuman
Trickster
Classic Audi Club Member

C3 and C4 are different. V8 (D1) and 200/100(C3) are the same design.

Link to the file is on its way by email. The file is large, and hiding in my dropbox. 120MB
Old 09-11-18, 08:08 PM   #10
theschmallfella
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
C3 and C4 are different. V8 (D1) and 200/100(C3) are the same design.

Link to the file is on its way by email. The file is large, and hiding in my dropbox. 120MB
Good stuff, thanks Hanuman, that'll make some nice reading for my Friday night.