Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Non-starting 2.6E

Old 06-08-19, 07:59 PM   #21
Alan67
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
Good luck with the thunderstorms tomorrow, that weather proof camera you bought yourself or perhaps still promised.............will come in handy.

Like you for many of us on hear cars are most definitely our thing if not the bank balance.

You definitely picked one of Audis finest cars imo. Cheers Mark.

Ps, no joke i managed to get 500 miles out of my old silver 2.6e estate on a light foot.
The bank balance definitely takes a hit with this passion. Why couldn't I be interested in postage stamps or something

Good to know I've hit upon a decent model too, even if it was entirely by chance. I can definitely do a light foot too. I see it as a bit of a challenge to eek out every last mile from a gallon of fuel at times. Mind you, tickling the carpet fibres with the underside of the loud pedal does have an addictive flavour to it too!

Thanks for all of your help Mark
Alan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-19, 09:41 AM   #22
Alan67
Grown up member

Picked car up this morning, and very happy to say that, with the new fuel filter, timing belt, water pump, thermostat, front wishbone, oil change and tracking adjustments, the car feels more planted to the road than it did before.
The temperature guage is now sitting around 82°-88° rather than the previous 50°.
More importantly, the misfire seems to have been reduced by around 95%....there's still something not quite right....but there's a definite improvement. It's only noticeable now when giving the gas pedal a good prod. That's where the misfire/hesitation is definitely noticeable. Not so much the misfire, but it just feels like the engine is being sapped of power until the revs get up near to 4,000rpm, and then it feels to me more like a 2.6 V6 should feel. So far, I reckon in the lower rev range, my 2011 Corsa 1.4 has more power....which can't be right, surely.

Anyway, the improvements continue. I've got the new Beru Ignition Amplifier sitting on the coffee table, and the Intermotor Camshaft Position Sensor is due to arrive next week. I reckon, with the weather forecast the way it is, I'm just going to leave everything now until next week. I'll replace one part at a time, then road test, and stick the results up here.

In the meantime, here are some photos taken on the way home from the garage this morning before the heavens opened.

Old 07-08-19, 01:41 PM   #23
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Looks nice.
sinbin5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-19, 01:43 PM   #24
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan67 View Post
What is your actual name by the way? I can't call you Vorsprung all the time
Gibbon1

Old 07-08-19, 02:48 PM   #25
Alan67
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbin5t View Post
Looks nice.
Yeah, not bad at all....apart from some bird poo half way up the bonnet

Now removed
Old 07-08-19, 02:51 PM   #26
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Love the photos, the car looks great.

The 95% reduction in misfire will most probably be down to the fuel filter so good news there. The remaining 5% and lack of urge is most probably down to ignition leads, stick them on and i'm sure the car will feel much better.

These engines are not particularly quick lower down in the rev range, especially when things aren't right. Once the ignition side is sorted it will feel quicker, 2nd gear 2,500 revs hold it then floor it will show you what's on offer thats for sure. One of the comments from journalists when they were new was that you just don't realise how quickly you accelerating from the complete lack of noise unless you look at the speedo.

I'll see if i can find an article i have on this very car, wearing the same wheels.Makes for good reading.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-19, 02:53 PM   #27
sinbin5t
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:

The 95% reduction in misfire will most probably be down to the fuel filter so good news there. The remaining 5% and lack of urge is most probably down to ignition leads, stick them on and i'm sure the car will feel much better.

These engines are not particularly quick lower down in the rev range, especially when things aren't right. Once the ignition side is sorted it will feel quicker, 2nd gear 2,500 revs hold it then floor it will show you what's on offer thats for sure. One of the comments from journalists when they were new was that you just don't realise how quickly you accelerating from the complete lack of noise unless you look at the speedo.

I'll see if i can find an article i have on this very car, wearing the same wheels.Makes for good reading.
Second that !
Old 07-08-19, 03:12 PM   #28
Alan67
Grown up member

Quote:
Thanks!

Quote:
It's got the new leads on it Mark. Magneti Marelli ones, about a week ago.

Quote:
These engines are not particularly quick lower down in the rev range, especially when things aren't right. Once the ignition side is sorted it will feel quicker, 2nd gear 2,500 revs hold it then floor it will show you what's on offer thats for sure.
Will give that a try. At 2,500rpm, there doesn't seem to be much there. Maybe I'm not being aggressive enough. I definitely need to experiment a bit more with that

Quote:
One of the comments from journalists when they were new was that you just don't realise how quickly you accelerating from the complete lack of noise unless you look at the speedo.
My Dad had a Peugeot 604 back in the 1980's, which was also a 2.6 V6, but Auto box. It was so quiet. You could easily punch it up to 90 on a slip road while joining Motorways, and swear you were only doing 65-70! Beautiful car. It was his pride & joy. Never seen one for years.

Quote:
That would be great, thanks. Love to read old magazine articles about cars I've got or had in the past. Interesting how things change with the way cars have evolved. I remember a Morris Minor article in an early motoring magazine saying it "has bucketfuls of get up and go!"
Old 07-08-19, 03:37 PM   #29
Ben
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Old 07-08-19, 04:11 PM   #30
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan67 View Post
Will give that a try. At 2,500rpm, there doesn't seem to be much there. Maybe I'm not being aggressive enough. I definitely need to experiment a bit more with that

My Dad had a Peugeot 604 back in the 1980's, which was also a 2.6 V6, but Auto box. It was so quiet. You could easily punch it up to 90 on a slip road while joining Motorways, and swear you were only doing 65-70! Beautiful car. It was his pride & joy. Never seen one for years.

That would be great, thanks. Love to read old magazine articles about cars I've got or had in the past. Interesting how things change with the way cars have evolved. I remember a Morris Minor article in an early motoring magazine saying it "has bucketfuls of get up and go!"

Sorry misread about the leadst.

Potentially its the ignition amplifier, but like we have said most unusual but you never know? I wonder if it could be the maf? I also own a 80 2.8 fe cabriolet and went through things when i bought it 7 years ago.

It ran perfectly but i always like to change for new so as to enjoy that as new feeling. I changed for new leads, Maf and an Iridium plug upgrade as well as full service, the engine became more urgent smoother so quiet and definitely more punchy. I then had it Terracleaned and it felt like a new car.

July 93 article

October 91 article

vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote