Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Wheels & Tyres » What are the widest wheels that can be fitted to an 85' 100

Old 12-01-15, 07:19 AM   #1
Slacker
Grown up member

Default What are the widest wheels that can be fitted to an 85' 100

As above what can you get under those rear flat top arches without too much fettling.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 09:31 AM   #2
Matt C
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Hi Slacker

I have also been looking into this for my c3 avant. I found this link really useful http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25944

My car is in hibernation at the moment but I think I wil go for 17" 7.5 wheel with an offset no less than 35 with some 205/45/17 tyres but I think I could go to 215 if required but would be close.

I am sure there are other people with a lot more knowledge than myself that may be able to help and have done this in the past.

Regards Matt
Matt C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 10:51 AM   #3
Slacker
Grown up member

Cheers Matt

I'm going for banded steels.
The ones I want to fit/have are a 4x100 vauxhall steel so will either have to have them re drilled or adaptors made which inturn will take some dish away also
Old 12-01-15, 01:50 PM   #4
Philip
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I have 225/45 x 17 tyres all round on 1990 quattro turbo avant. It is tight but no rubbing on rear arches. Not sure of rim width or ET value. Out of curiosity, tried 255/40 x 17 on std late UR S6 Avus(?) wheels. They rubbed rear wheel arches just on lowering the jack. Did not try driving - they obviously did not fit.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 02:12 PM   #5
Matt C
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
Cheers Matt

I'm going for banded steels.
The ones I want to fit/have are a 4x100 vauxhall steel so will either have to have them re drilled or adaptors made which inturn will take some dish away also
Well done for knowing what wheels you want. I have gone from bbs recreation's with a lip by dare to then thinking of a standard 5 spoke then back to dare wheels again .

I will also plan to lower the car by 30mm at the rear and 40mm at the front but keep with the standard shock to save some ride quality, as I believe up to 40mm you can run with the standard shock but any lower will need to be replace with uprated ones.

If you want to see something of IMHO is superb, check out the newbie section and look at best regards from Germany and check out seb's ride (page 2), My car is a few above newbie Audi 100 Avant Bristol.
Matt C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 04:48 PM   #6
Slacker
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt C View Post
Well done for knowing what wheels you want. I have gone from bbs recreation's with a lip by dare to then thinking of a standard 5 spoke then back to dare wheels again .

I will also plan to lower the car by 30mm at the rear and 40mm at the front but keep with the standard shock to save some ride quality, as I believe up to 40mm you can run with the standard shock but any lower will need to be replace with uprated ones.

If you want to see something of IMHO is superb, check out the newbie section and look at best regards from Germany and check out seb's ride (page 2), My car is a few above newbie Audi 100 Avant Bristol.

Checked them out tidy motors.

I'm always clear in my head of how I want things particulary wheels, usually some variation of a steel wheel as most alloys do nothing for me!!

Mines on chopped doings at the minute son gonna try some uprated shocks but want a coilover conversion eventually
Old 13-01-15, 11:57 PM   #7
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Chopped! naughty boy.

I got some of these fuch wheels to go on my 100t this summer, still only 15" but a bit wider than the aeros. But at least they'll fit! Hard car to find wheels for, I've been looking for five years and gave up, bought factory fitted items. Not just the fitting but the look too, most look just wrong.

http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/...ead.php?t=5850

There was a light blue avant on here with some recreation porsche cup wheels on it, looked ok but dunno what size the wheels were.

Last edited by missfire; 14-01-15 at 12:00 AM.
missfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-15, 06:43 AM   #8
Slacker
Grown up member

Springs were already chopped when I got it, and not a very good job at that!!

If I went for allots I would get Fuch's but the 60's/70's type Porsche ones.

This is my problem with the car nobody has really lowered one of these cars properly with a decent set of wheels so it's hard to know what works.

Luckily I have a good imagination
Old 14-01-15, 01:36 PM   #9
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Yeah a few folk have had a play about on here, Micky built a 200 (with standard rear arches) with bigger wheels and I think it was dropped a bit too. Can't remember the name of the thread but he'll know what fits.
Old 14-01-15, 01:50 PM   #10
missfire
making wooden things
Classic Audi Club Member

Come to think of it I had some RS4 rep wheels and tried them on, 17" 8j et37 I think with 225 40s on them. No problem on the front, just fitted in the rear, at standard ride height. But they looked shuyte. as all modern wheels seem to do, on the type 44.