Classic Audi » Audi Sport / Competition » Audi sport & history » David Sutton Motorsport workshop from the eighties

Old 29-09-10, 08:59 PM   #1
Groundhog
Grown up member

Default David Sutton Motorsport workshop from the eighties

I just came across these while I was digging around in the attic. Been trying to engage the old grey matter, if memory serves me right I had just come back from three months in Cyprus building a car out there and had to use a film up so Sooty could have the pictures of the build. A few days later I went off to the Middle East so can’t tell you much detail of what’s going on other than what is obvious from common knowledge.

The images are a little poor because they are scanned photos and for those not in the know this was at the Audi rally team HQ in Daventry.

the red sport in the background was being changed to right hand drive, i was waiting for the dash to be frabricated

An Audi motorsport service van
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-10, 09:18 PM   #2
Isimmo
Super Moderator
Classic Audi Club Member

Fascinating pictures, thanks Martin, and lovely to see 44WMN in it's original colour. Am I right in guessing that's about the Spring/Summer of '86?... The plethora of 'base colour' A2 shells is interesting to say the least...
Old 29-09-10, 10:46 PM   #3
Booty
Classic Audi Club Member

44 WMN would, or should, have been in it's Shell Oils livery in 86 as it was built for Mikkola for the Bristish Open Championship for that year. I reckon it could have been 87 as Mikkola got the Hill record at Shelsey Walsh in 44 WMN and that was in the same Grey / Silver colour.
Cracking pictures though Martin.
2017 Mercedes GLA 220
Booty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-10, 06:49 AM   #4
gabriel.oconnell
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

great photos guys
gabriel.oconnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-10, 06:53 AM   #5
mk1
Grown up member

nice bit of history there,do you mind if I use the pics for another Sutton thread on another forum ?
mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-10, 07:46 AM   #6
Cornholio
Grown up member

Any more photos? These are even better than the "on stage" stuff, so little of this stuff seems to get out into public view....
Cornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-10, 07:45 PM   #7
mk1
Grown up member

dont know if this has been posted ? a site run by ex audisport members http://www.ig-audisport.com/index.ph...d=23&Itemid=48
mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-10, 07:58 PM   #8
SteveT63
Classic Audi Club Member

Just had a look. Some interesting members on that site I must say! And it looks like a great forum to chat about all things works and ex works, but only if you owned one of course!

I love the pics by the way Groundhog, love to see rare stuff and my fave car in one colour!!...

T85 1985 90quattro I5 20vT
T81 1983 80 Sport Red
T81 1983 80 Sport Silver
SteveT63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-10, 08:14 PM   #9
Groundhog
Grown up member

I feel I should really know what is going on and feel guilty I don’t. Strange actually as not to long ago I was chatting with John O’Conner (Sootys right hand man) and a couple of the guys we worked with back then and we commented how those days are a blur and how we rely on the enthusiasts like you guys to keep reminding us what we were doing and when.

Oh there were always plenty of shells in various stages of build- just in case- and not forgeting they were available for purchase. For sure there was a period when 44 WMN changed colours almost on a monthly basis.

As for pics of the cars in the workshop David Sutton did not like people taking pictures which is why there are probably so few. Clearly it had to be accepted that things went on with the cars between races that could not be risked being leaked out, not quite formula one secrecy but none the less...you get the picture.

I'm pretty certain that this.......(or the one next to it)

.......was to replace this.......

Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-10, 08:39 PM   #10
john johnson
Moderator of sausages
Classic Audi Club Member

Superb thread and really good to have the chance to look at what many of us would love to have seen going off behind closed doors whilst we stood in the forests watching the cars perform over the years! Brilliant
And if you are reading this as James may would say ' you're a cock '
john johnson is offline   Reply With Quote