Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Wheels & Tyres » Budget tyre advice sought please.

Old 17-03-14, 08:16 PM   #11
spink
Classic Audi Club Member

Another vote for kumhos (ecstas) which I have on my s6 and have had on my a6 several times

Kumho are korean but some of their tyres are made in china.

In general no name brands made in china are best avoided like the plague
spink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-14, 08:37 PM   #12
pimpdriver
Devon Pastie Muncher
Classic Audi Club Member

Vredestein are good. Sportrac3 or 5 are good.
Old 17-03-14, 08:50 PM   #13
Eddy
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details...-82-v#53791593

delivered in a couple of days
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-14, 10:53 PM   #14
jamesfuller
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I have just been looking through some wheels for sale on ebay. Some PCD's are 5x112 and some are 5x110. They look like genuine audi (nothing special just old wheels)
Are they described incorrectly or is this true?
I know some of the 80 and 90 had 4 stud but would they really have two different 5 stud measurments?
jamesfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-14, 11:30 PM   #15
Baldy
Bald Bloke
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfuller View Post
I think considering 4mm part warns are looking at £15-20 a tyre plus delivery and slim chance of getting a matching set or linglong chineese unknown horribleness is into the £40's It simply has to be the Kumhos!
Don't touch the Ling Longs.
I tried some Wanli's on the front on my Astravan. They were crap in dry seriously crap in the wet . Permanent wheelspin and understeer going up dampest hillock

A few pictures
Baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-14, 07:04 PM   #16
Audiden
Classic Audi Club Member

My recommendation for Khumos comes from the owner of a Lexus & an Audi who uses them on his own cars... He has run a successful tyre business for over two decades & knows his rubber inside out!

My Audi has excellent tread 'Sunnys' all round that I picked up for next to nothing & they are lethal in the wet

I ran Pirelli P6000's on my Cavalier years ago & used to get 30,000 miles out of them on mainly motorway running, but once again due to the hard compound, they were terrible in the wet too.

For wetter weather Uniroyal Rainsports are the business. Grippy as anything but best to fit them in fours. Whatever end of the car doesn't have them fitted won't perform anywhere close, which results in either the front or rear of the car gripping like feck & the other end not... with potentially grim results lol!
Old 20-03-14, 08:57 PM   #17
dave80
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

I have recently had 2 new khumo solus kh17 fitted to my audi 80 which have great reviews and only cost £99 for the pair fitted at my home by etyres i would highly recommend these tyres and a great service and price by etyres.
dave80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-14, 09:02 PM   #18
Ben
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiden View Post
For wetter weather Uniroyal Rainsports are the business. Grippy as anything but best to fit them in fours. Whatever end of the car doesn't have them fitted won't perform anywhere close, which results in either the front or rear of the car gripping like feck & the other end not... with potentially grim results lol!
I've a set of Uniroyal Rainsports and they are very grippy but have soft sidewalls, so the car feels like it's going to oversteer when entering into corners then settles and grips, you have to put more air in to stiffen them up.
Old 20-03-14, 09:46 PM   #19
jamesfuller
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

Thanks for the advice guys, very helpful input.

I have used Uniroyals before but as mentioned, the soft sidewalls wont be good for my estate as I will be running it pretty much fully laden all the time!
Think it comes down to Kumho or T1R. Will be down to the best price available me thinks.

jamesfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-14, 08:09 AM   #20
Philip
Grown up member
Classic Audi Club Member

In my experience, Kumho yes, Uniroyal, yes, Toyo, not as good as they say.

I have had Kumho Ecstas on my US6, (on when I bought it and I was expecting them to be terrible). They were great, no problem on damp or wet conditions, I was so impressed that when the time came I bought another set. Have Uniroyal Rainsports on my Mk 2 golf which are great (better than the P6000s it came with in damp/wet). Having heard so much...I fitted Toyos TR1(?) on Corrado VR6. Not as good as I was expecting - I have occasionally been surprised how easily they have skidded when braking in the wet (ABS u/s at the time). This I see is reflected in their wet rating in the new consumer information.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote