Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Non-starting 2.6E

Old 04-08-19, 09:03 PM   #11
Alan67
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
...I really like these engines partly because they're just superbly smoooooth and quick enough if looked after and for the fact they are one of Audis finest as far as reliability is concerned. I hope you can see the answers in you quoted post?
I'm looking forward to feeling this smoothness for my self. Even with the misfire, I did open her up on the way to the garage on Wednesday morning. Once the engine cleared it's throat of the misfire, I was very impressed with the power delivery of this V6 The sound was also something I can see myself getting used to...and enjoying very much indeed

I can certainly confirm that cats are present. I was referring to the 1994 onwards cat-pipe issue you had mentioned. Dodged another bullet.

Also, for anyone following my (temporary!) woes, I'll update this post only with info about the non-start issue, and as things develop. The other issues I'm also currently dealing with will be updated within their original posts, just to keep things tidy.

All the best,
Alan
Alan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 04:05 PM   #12
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Given that they've replaced the timing belt, did they ever have it running after putting it all back together
Old 05-08-19, 06:00 PM   #13
Alan67
Grown up member

Update -

So, garage called me half hour ago to say that when they went in this morning, the car started first time on the button, and has continued to do so throughout the day.

They have tested the crankshaft sensor, and can't find anything that suggests it is faulty.

He then said that he had unplugged the Hall Sensor and found the readings and symptoms were exactly the same as they were on Friday when I went to collect the car and it failed to start. Now, he couldn't get a replacement one from Audi, and the local parts suppliers were also drawing a blank. He's had a look online, and found several around the £20 mark, which is obviously poor quality stuff, so ignored that. He eventually tracked one down from an auto store in Glasgow. It's an Intermotor 19017, but he didn't buy it because it was 3 times the price of the other ones he'd seen online, and wanted to discuss price with me first.

I've had a look on ebay, and there is obviously the Hella branded one at £96 that was linked to on here, but the Intermotor 19017 one is also on there at £62. The difference is, the garage can get the Intermotor part delivered to them tomorrow, whereas the ebay parts won't arrive until the weekend at the earliest. Problem is...my wife and I are taking my Mum away for a long weekend up in the Scottish Highlands, and although we could take my Wife's Honda Jazz....I would obviously love to take the Audi.

So, is the Intermotor brand good enough quality, or am I better holding off for the Hella one? (which means taking the Jazz ).
I've never had an issue with Intermotor stuff since way back with points and condensers for my '76 Capri....(God I loved that car!)....but have you guys had any issues with the Intermotor Hall Sensor for the 2.6?

If there's no bad feedback by tomorrow morning, I'll just instruct him to go ahead and order the Intermotor part.

By the way, I've also asked him to go ahead and replace the fuel filter, even though he had earlier concerns about damage to the hoses/pipes due to age. He's concerned at being able to source them if things break. Obviously, he can make up a homemade version if needs must, but he would rather not go down that route with a car like this. Have you guys any advice about the availability of these parts?

Cheers
Old 05-08-19, 06:03 PM   #14
Alan67
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes2 View Post
Given that they've replaced the timing belt, did they ever have it running after putting it all back together
Hi Mike.

Yes. They had it in and out on several occasions.
That was my first thought though I must admit (Shhhh!)
Old 06-08-19, 03:58 PM   #15
mikes2
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Intermotor are part of JP Group - absolutely fine to fit.
Old 06-08-19, 04:46 PM   #16
Alan67
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes2 View Post
Intermotor are part of JP Group - absolutely fine to fit.
Thank goodness for that, as I've already bought it!
Good to hear though, thanks Mike.
Old 06-08-19, 05:08 PM   #17
Alan67
Grown up member

Update -

Garage couldn't get the Intermotor part after all. The place that said they had one...didn't. Further, they said it was no longer available. That can't be right surely?

So anyway, I bought the Intermotor Hall Sensor on ebay this morning for £62. Only problem is, it isn't due to arrive until next Monday, which is the day that we are due back home from our Highlands trip. Sadly, that means we've no option but to take my Wife's Honda Jazz instead, as the Audi is just not reliable enough right now for that sort of journey. Very disappointed, but I'll get over it. Had been looking forward to posting a few photos of the car in amongst the mountains, but hey ho.

Good news is the garage said they've managed to fit the fuel filter without issue, and the car has been starting fine all day.

Typical!
Old 06-08-19, 05:38 PM   #18
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Will be interesting to see if the misfire has gone now the fuel filter has been fitted.

Fully understand your frustration. I'm like that the child still within can't wait to get a nice car out for a trip and enjoy.
Sometimes it's just not practical and the last thing you want is to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with mum on board.
You'd never hear the end if it.

Anyway, ......... looking forward to the pics when you do.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-19, 07:01 PM   #19
Alan67
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorsprung durch technik View Post
Will be interesting to see if the misfire has gone now the fuel filter has been fitted.

Fully understand your frustration. I'm like that the child still within can't wait to get a nice car out for a trip and enjoy.
Sometimes it's just not practical and the last thing you want is to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with mum on board.
You'd never hear the end if it.

Anyway, ......... looking forward to the pics when you do.
I'm collecting the car at 9 tomorrow morning. Definitely curious to see where we're at with the misfire. It would go a long way to putting a smile back on my face if it runs smoothly.

Yeah, frustrated, but can't be helped. To be honest, even if the Hall Sensor had been fitted in time, I don't know if would have trusted the car to be ok so far away from home, especially as you say, with Mum in tow.

Definitely relate to your 'inner child' analogy. Cars are my thing, and a new one is like Christmas morning...every day...for months on end.
Only problem right now is nobody bought me batteries for my new toy!

To make up for things, I'll try to get a relatively scenic pic of the car tomorrow once I pick it up from the garage, inbetween the thunderstorms. I just need to remember not too switch the engine off while taking the photo.....could be left stranded!

What is your actual name by the way? I can't call you Vorsprung all the time
Old 06-08-19, 07:20 PM   #20
vorsprung durch technik
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan67 View Post
I'm collecting the car at 9 tomorrow morning. Definitely curious to see where we're at with the misfire. It would go a long way to putting a smile back on my face if it runs smoothly.

Yeah, frustrated, but can't be helped. To be honest, even if the Hall Sensor had been fitted in time, I don't know if would have trusted the car to be ok so far away from home, especially as you say, with Mum in tow.

Definitely relate to your 'inner child' analogy. Cars are my thing, and a new one is like Christmas morning...every day...for months on end.
Only problem right now is nobody bought me batteries for my new toy!

To make up for things, I'll try to get a relatively scenic pic of the car tomorrow once I pick it up from the garage, inbetween the thunderstorms. I just need to remember not too switch the engine off while taking the photo.....could be left stranded!

What is your actual name by the way? I can't call you Vorsprung all the time
Good luck with the thunderstorms tomorrow, that weather proof camera you bought yourself or perhaps still promised.............will come in handy.

Like you for many of us on hear cars are most definitely our thing if not the bank balance.

You definitely picked one of Audis finest cars imo. Cheers Mark.

Ps, no joke i managed to get 500 miles out of my old silver 2.6e estate on a light foot.
vorsprung durch technik is offline   Reply With Quote