Classic Audi » Audi Sport / Competition » Audi sport & history » 90-44-mn

Old 07-09-11, 09:49 PM   #11
Booty
Classic Audi Club Member

I don't know Tim but it would be good to find out and see what he's upto.
2017 Mercedes GLA 220
Booty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-11, 02:57 AM   #12
speedy1wrc
Newbie!

I would love to see if those pictures could be found.

I did happen to neglect mentioning that I am the fellow from across the pond that owns MN 9044...one of those cars. I would love to learn more about it's past history. A fellow over on another forum has some pictures of my car and some pertinent information, however every time I post over there my posts get deleted.

I love to jump in on this thread if you'd allow.

Regards,
Mark
speedy1wrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-11, 10:17 PM   #13
Booty
Classic Audi Club Member

Ok leave it with me for a few days as I am on a course at present. Should be able to post over the weekend. You'll like them.
2017 Mercedes GLA 220
Booty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-11, 06:59 AM   #14
mk1
Grown up member

here you go,also reposted on clubgti

mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-11, 09:08 PM   #15
speedy1wrc
Newbie!

Wonderful, thank you!

Both cars are nearly identical in many respects. I do see few differences, but not many. I will post similar pictures of mine to show the similarities and differences. I also have a few pictures of that car. I thought they were pictures of mine, but after looking more closely, they are that one instead. I will post those also. Obviously one major difference is the engine.

Here is a quick clip of mine...(right click and download to view, otherwise it will be choppy).

http://wetzelsracing.com/images/drift.mpg

I have to make a few more posts before I can post pictures, so I'll get working on that.
Old 03-10-11, 01:04 PM   #16
speedy1wrc
Newbie!

As was posted on the other forum, mine has a NA 20 valve motor. It started out as a 7A, but it is much different now. The compression is over 14:1 and it only shares the block and manifold with the 7A now. Once I can post some pictures you'll see what I mean.

I'll break this up into pieces so I can reach 5 posts and hopefully be allowed to post some pictures then. That'll explain quite a bit.

Mark
Old 03-10-11, 01:10 PM   #17
speedy1wrc
Newbie!

Much of the car but the shell is left over Group B parts. It has full Group B magnesium suspension and Group B Kevlar/carbon fiber under protection. It also has the 6 speed transmission which as I understand is only one of a very few.

It has seen it's fair share of "love". Many of the body panels have been replaced including the whole left rear quarter. This is evident by the welds in that area. The underside is pretty hammered too. The amount of massaging is surprising as the clock only shows a bit over 3000K.
Old 03-10-11, 01:15 PM   #18
speedy1wrc
Newbie!

Excellent, I can now post pictures!

Well, at least one...
Old 03-10-11, 01:35 PM   #19
speedy1wrc
Newbie!

Well, I only seem to be able to post one picture.

Can anyone clue me in as to what I need to do to post more?

In any event...

The car hasn't run in a few years and I need to get back to it. I bought an RS2(US variant) that was built by John Buffum as a twin to what his step son was driving. It is much more reliable and it has a much better temperament, so I tend to like it for the drive-ability. It doesn't have nearly the character, but it is crazy fast. For a given rallyX course of about 1 mile, it is possibly 3 seconds faster than the next fastest car.

A few years I broke a valve stem keeper on the 90 and had to rebuild the head. It didn't want to start after doing so and in troubleshooting I made a mistake. The car has 2 ECU's. One with very competitive programming and a second as a fall back. I had swapped connection to use the fallback ECU to see if I could get it to run with a milder tune. However I did''t swap the vacuum line which is used to determine timing and fueling. The car ran, but backfired a lot and once while starting it did so and ripped a number of teeth off the flywheel. It took some time to tear it down and get to it, and now it sits needing the transmission to be bolted back up and get it going again. Too many other chores keep popping up, but I need to get to it and get it put back together.

That said, since I don't drive it much, I have toyed with the idea of selling it. I am having trouble with that...
Old 03-10-11, 02:47 PM   #20
speedy1wrc
Newbie!

Ok, let's give this a try now...

I have quite a few more, but I have to upload them to my server first. I'll get on that!