Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » Engine » Coupe B2 Service Parts

Old 23-12-17, 08:07 PM   #1
IronJaw
Grown up member

Default Coupe B2 Service Parts

Hi, I'm after buying a load of service parts to bring our B2 coupe back to good health. I've just perused Euro car parts and some of the stuff they offer I'm not sure of. As a general rule I like to stick to known brands for things like spark plugs, coils etc. So Bosch, Champion, Lucas. I'm after some advice from owners of what and where is best to buy from. Below is a list of items we need, so any input is appreciated.

1) 5 x Spark Plugs ( I've found Bosch to be best)
2) Set of HT Leads
3) Distributor Cap
4) Rotor Arm
5) Ignition Coil
6) Air Filter
7) Oil Filter
8) Belts

Another item I'm in desperate need of is a thermostat housing. If anyone knows where I can source a new or good replacement I'd love to hear it.

Thanks In Advance
S.
IronJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-17, 09:59 PM   #2
moonwatcher
4 ring whore!
Classic Audi Club Member

quattrocorner.com is who I use, some use auditradition
Old 24-12-17, 06:26 AM   #3
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJaw View Post
Hi, I'm after buying a load of service parts to bring our B2 coupe back to good health. I've just perused Euro car parts and some of the stuff they offer I'm not sure of. As a general rule I like to stick to known brands for things like spark plugs, coils etc. So Bosch, Champion, Lucas. I'm after some advice from owners of what and where is best to buy from. Below is a list of items we need, so any input is appreciated.

1) 5 x Spark Plugs ( I've found Bosch to be best)
2) Set of HT Leads
3) Distributor Cap
4) Rotor Arm
5) Ignition Coil
6) Air Filter
7) Oil Filter
8) Belts

Another item I'm in desperate need of is a thermostat housing. If anyone knows where I can source a new or good replacement I'd love to hear it.

Thanks In Advance
S.
Quattro corner will be able to help you with all of these parts but there my be a premium price to be paid, thermostat housing I will have but you would be better fitting a new stat and seal at the same time, can you take a photo of the housing you have fitted to your engine because there is a couple of different types, NGK are as good as Bosch plugs, plug leads on ebay item number 362007848677 remember to get the correct type to your suit distributor cap, ignition coils work or don't work and seem quite strange you are looking for a new one unless your coil could be looking quit bad due to age, I do have an original coil somewhere, I will have a look, belts you will need to get the correct length and widths, oil filter, Mahle OC 47, Don't post about what oil to use, do a search first on the forum this question has been asked before, I will give you my advice, don't buy a super duper oil of today's standards they are not for old engines and weren't about in the 80's if you don't have a favorite brand stick to Castrol GTX or Magnatec 20w50 or 10w40, max 6000mile oil change you car will love you for it, nice to see you are keeping an old car on the road but I hate to ask, what about timing belt, it is not a job to do without the correct tools or to do for your first time, one last thing, www.onlinecarparts.co.uk have a look.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-17, 07:59 AM   #4
urquattr085
Classic Audi Club Member

Now that's a comprehensive answer.
A good demo of what this forum can do.

Nice one Colin Have a good Xmas.

2010 A3 1.4 tfsi Sport - Sold but still in the family
1984 80 Quattro - Sold many moons ago
1981 Coupe GT - Sold to buy above
urquattr085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-17, 08:39 AM   #5
andya
Classic Audi Club Member

I changed my thermostat housing about a year ago - Quattro Corner had one brand new.

Good luck

andya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-17, 10:56 AM   #6
IronJaw
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Aitchison View Post
thermostat housing I will have but you would be better fitting a new stat and seal at the same time, can you take a photo of the housing you have fitted to your engine because there is a couple of different types
The attached photo is the only photo I have of the housing. It's totally knackered and is leaking slightly. I discovered this when I fitted a new thermostat a few months ago, I was horrified to discover there wasn't one fitted so I suspect there may be a cooling system issue I need to find and rectify.

Quote:
remember to get the correct type to your suit distributor cap, ignition coils work or don't work and seem quite strange you are looking for a new one unless your coil could be looking quit bad due to age
I only mentioned the coil as I'm trying to cover all the bases. Yesterday whilst trying to coax the car back into life I was going through everything, then it started after I sprayed WD40 on the coil and leads. It may be the leads at fault. When the weather warms up a bit I'll be looking to give the whole engine bay a good clean with Gunk and flush the cooling system though.

Belts are item 8 on my list, but I won't be doing that particular job. The water pump needs replacing and I'll be giving that job to a mechanic we know who is VAG experienced. I'll have him do the belts at the same time.

Thanks for your help and reply, it is really appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thermostat.jpg (29.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 24-12-17, 08:59 PM   #7
Ringmaster
Classic Audi Club Member

Worth looking at Amazon for branded parts... I've had some good prices.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-17, 09:24 PM   #8
Colin Aitchison
Classic Audi Club Member

The thermostat housing I would call the straight short one, I will have a look during the holidays for a better housing and coil.
Colin Aitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-17, 12:41 PM   #9
IronJaw
Grown up member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
Worth looking at Amazon for branded parts... I've had some good prices.
Good Tip, I always forget about Amazon, even though I've got Prime!

Quote:
The thermostat housing I would call the straight short one, I will have a look during the holidays for a better housing and coil.
If you have one, then I'd be interested to hear from you. The one on the car has defiantly had it.

I really need the rotor arm and dizzy cap as the one on it is worn out looking at it.

I'm surprised at how little support there is for parts for these Audi's considering their cult status. I can go on a few different sites and get all the parts for my Triumph in minutes, but finding a part number for a set of HT Leads is a task for a B2 Coupe.

Last edited by IronJaw; 25-12-17 at 12:50 PM.