Classic Audi » Technical » Mech/Tech » In-Car entertainment » S6 Stereo Install - Help Please!

Old 18-12-12, 06:08 PM   #1
86audicoupe
Classic Audi Pervert!
Classic Audi Club Member

Default S6 Stereo Install - Help Please!

Hello all!

Hope you all like your 2013 calendars I printed?! I'm after a bit of advice/help please. My 1997 S6 had a Bose system fitted. I have recently fitted my Kenwood head unit and fitted a Bose adaptor for the rear powered speakers. Am I right in thinking there's a seperate Bose amplifier which is controlling the speakers other than the head unit? I have fitted new front speakers which have a higher output but the sound quality isn't particulary good - they distort even at low volumes. I have tested the speakers in another vehicle and they are fine. The head unit is 50W x 4 which isn't very powerful but has produced a much better output in previous cars!

Reading on the Internet, someone said the only way to get rid of the restrictive Bose amplifier is to re-wire the head unit and speakers (so they don't have the stupid 5-pin plug to connect them)!

Would be great to hear if anyone else has changed their setup. I'm hoping to fit a 1500W amp which will match the 4 speakers I have bought (the front two already fitted).

Thanks!
86audicoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-12, 11:04 PM   #2
type81
Classic Audi Club Member

If your thinking of fitting a 1500w amp to power the four speakers..then i think the two front speakers that are distorting might be under powered by the stereo

You dont say what power wattage the speakers are? Most have a power input figure and a power output figure written on the magnet, some are written in rms and some music power
(some in both)

Also check that you have wired them correctly - +
type81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 10:32 AM   #3
86audicoupe
Classic Audi Pervert!
Classic Audi Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by type81 View Post
If your thinking of fitting a 1500w amp to power the four speakers..then i think the two front speakers that are distorting might be under powered by the stereo

You dont say what power wattage the speakers are? Most have a power input figure and a power output figure written on the magnet, some are written in rms and some music power
(some in both)

Also check that you have wired them correctly - +
Thanks for your reply and info - I put this on the back burner as I had other priorities! Decided it'll be a lot easier to fit the stereo/amp/speakers in the Passat as the setup isn't as complex (plus I don't really like damaging cars original wiring).
86audicoupe is offline   Reply With Quote